https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Target man required?

Started by JOND999, September 18, 2017, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: Keynsham on September 19, 2017, 12:02:41 PM
Quote from: filham on September 18, 2017, 07:18:03 PM

Of course a player with his poor pedigree would never get past Stats Boy's screening today,

You really need to start getting past this.

I could be helped if someone can show me a Stats Boy signing in the last window who is going to solve our long standing striker problem.

AlexW132

Quote from: filham on September 20, 2017, 05:59:58 PM

Of course a player with his poor pedigree would never get past Stats Boy's screening today,

I could be helped if someone can show me a Stats Boy signing in the last window who is going to solve our long standing striker problem.
Fonte

Bill2

Is it a target man or someone who can shoot or head between the sticks rather than at the posts and crossbar. If you look at Saturday's result we blasted over from 6 yards, Floyd I think and then Ojo hits the bar from the same distance. Then re had the Ryan Sets header from even closer which he put wide.

I like to think should those chances come again they will be tucked away, hopefully Fonte will be back this weekend and he will be the man to do it.

Keynsham

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 20, 2017, 09:04:49 PM

Fonte

+1

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Keynsham on September 21, 2017, 01:44:09 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

Don't be silly, he's a sick note.... he's already missed two games. We definitely need a Ricky Lambert or a Grant Holt, I know these players and they have championship experience so are definitely better than we already have. Grant Holt scored 5 goals last season at Hibernian which is more than any of our players. Let's get him in. Come on stats boy, make it happen!

FFC1987

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 21, 2017, 01:53:26 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

Don't be silly, he's a sick note.... he's already missed two games. We definitely need a Ricky Lambert or a Grant Holt, I know these players and they have championship experience so are definitely better than we already have. Grant Holt scored 5 goals last season at Hibernian which is more than any of our players. Let's get him in. Come on stats boy, make it happen!

So, if Fonte happens to get a few other injuries which, in the modern game, is likely, we then have no back up plan which brings in points. Its all well and good you making jokes in your ivory tower, but as we continue to drop points because we have a clear gap in our squad, the best we have to offer in terms of possible plausible gaps, are the likes of Lambert. 

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2017, 02:21:35 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

So, if Fonte happens to get a few other injuries which, in the modern game, is likely, we then have no back up plan which brings in points. Its all well and good you making jokes in your ivory tower, but as we continue to drop points because we have a clear gap in our squad, the best we have to offer in terms of possible plausible gaps, are the likes of Lambert.

You are worried about a sick note so your way around this is to get a donkey who scored 4 goals in an entire season for Cardiff?

If we are considering free agents you wouldn't rather Giuseppe Rossi who has the same goalscoring prowess as Lambert (5 on 18) is 5 years younger and scored in a better league.

I'm not in a ivory tower, but the fact that Lambert has even been mentioned on here is completely baffling.

FFC1987

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 21, 2017, 02:32:52 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

You are worried about a sick note so your way around this is to get a donkey who scored 4 goals in an entire season for Cardiff?

If we are considering free agents you wouldn't rather Giuseppe Rossi who has the same goalscoring prowess as Lambert (5 on 18) is 5 years younger and scored in a better league.

I'm not in a ivory tower, but the fact that Lambert has even been mentioned on here is completely baffling.

I don't think it is. Rossi's wages would be ridiculous. Lamberts would be high, but not in same league as his. He's been in promoted title winning sides in various leagues and brings in good experience for both on and off the pitch plus, its extremely likely, he'd be a bit part for injury cover. I don't get why, when we clearly have a gap in our squad, its been so frowned upon.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2017, 02:38:05 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

I don't think it is. Rossi's wages would be ridiculous. Lamberts would be high, but not in same league as his. He's been in promoted title winning sides in various leagues and brings in good experience for both on and off the pitch plus, its extremely likely, he'd be a bit part for injury cover. I don't get why, when we clearly have a gap in our squad, its been so frowned upon.

Why would Rossi's be ridiculous? he's hardly set the word alight over the last few years. He accepted a smaller salalry at Fiorentia as well: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/fiorentina/story/2638896/giuseppe-rossi-accepts-smaller-salary-at-fiorentina   

If you don't want to read it - he was on c.30k + performance related bonuses. 

Lambert has been frowned upon as he's a 35 year old who has scored 7 goals since 2014. He is not a decent option and would set us back. He also doesnt fit our play.  Why would you put him in when you could play Ayite there (9 last season) Kebano (6 last season) or even put Humphreys in.... or even kamara!!!!!

As a disclaimer, I'm not against Lambert I once had a bet that he would score more goals for West Brom than Benteke would at Liverpool (he lost, our saviour scored 1 goal )

FFC1987

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 21, 2017, 02:48:28 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

Why would Rossi's be ridiculous? he's hardly set the word alight over the last few years. He accepted a smaller salalry at Fiorentia as well: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/fiorentina/story/2638896/giuseppe-rossi-accepts-smaller-salary-at-fiorentina   

Lambert has been frowned upon as he's a 35 year old who has scored 7 goals since 2014. He is not a decent option and would set us back. He also doesnt fit our play.  Why would you put him in when you could play Ayite there (9 last season) Kebano (6 last season) or even put Humphreys in.... or even kamara!!!!!

As a disclaimer, I'm not against Lambert I once had a bet that he would score more goals for West Brom than Benteke would at Liverpool (he lost, our saviour scored 1 goal )

Interesting. genuinely thought he'd be on more than that! I just think Lambert could a new alternative for a plan B that we've been struggling with recently. Hopefully we can last till January with just Fonte leading the line but its a big ask in this league. Lambert isn't the be all and end all for me, but without much wriggle room, he wouldn't be the worst bet in the world. All limitations considered that is.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2017, 03:10:21 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

Interesting. genuinely thought he'd be on more than that! I just think Lambert could a new alternative for a plan B that we've been struggling with recently. Hopefully we can last till January with just Fonte leading the line but its a big ask in this league. Lambert isn't the be all and end all for me, but without much wriggle room, he wouldn't be the worst bet in the world. All limitations considered that is.

Rossi is one of those names which sounds like he should be worth more but I think he'd be the kind of signing where you'd get him on a pay-per-play or a similar deal to Mollo and he'd try to build his career back again - it wasn't that long ago he was a 30m player.

Lambert, I think would stifle Humphreys (who must be still here for a reason) you also have George Williams who is still young and despite all signals to the contrary I harbour a small hope he can make it. Lambert would essentially kill those options and I don't see the club doing it. 

FFC1987

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 21, 2017, 03:25:29 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

Rossi is one of those names which sounds like he should be worth more but I think he'd be the kind of signing where you'd get him on a pay-per-play or a similar deal to Mollo and he'd try to build his career back again - it wasn't that long ago he was a 30m player.

Lambert, I think would stifle Humphreys (who must be still here for a reason) you also have George Williams who is still young and despite all signals to the contrary I harbour a small hope he can make it. Lambert would essentially kill those options and I don't see the club doing it.

Fair. I'm a fan of Williams. haven't seen much of Humphreys. Is he better/more promising than Woodrow?

Lyle from Hangeland

Lets just dream about a goal poacher of the quality of Ivor, we paid Merthyr Tydfil £34,000 when he was 22 years old. Woudn't it be good to find another Ivor.

Of course a player with his poor pedigree would never get past Stats Boy's screening today, no top class experience and too old to introduce through our academy. But he is a natural goal scorer, that may be an opinion but we have no stats outside of non league football to substantiate it.
End of that dream.

Actually, diamonds in the rough are exactly what the "Stats Boy's" are looking for. That's their raison d'etre.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2017, 04:17:01 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 21, 2017, 03:25:29 PM

Fonte

+1

Lol...

Fair. I'm a fan of Williams. haven't seen much of Humphreys. Is he better/more promising than Woodrow?

He's at that vital point in his development which will define whether he can get starts and games for us or whether he will end up like a Woodrow and slowly dwindle away. personally, he seems to do very well in our development squad but his time at Shrewsbury wasn't particularly prolific (though seems to have been their first choice).

I think he'll get a few sub appearances before Xmas and then might go on loan again.

The thing with youngsters is that it's so difficult to see what player they will become. If Rashford hadn't been thrust into the middle would he still have become the player he is or would he have become another Ashley Fletcher. Harry Kane at a similar stage to his career had just failed at Norwich so to predict potential is difficult.

Personally, I would never have put Woodrow ahead of Tankovic but when you see how their careers have gone since it looks the correct move.

I guess my long winded answer to your question is that Humphreys is doing the right things but I don't know for sure which one is better or thought of higher.

filham

Fonte

+1

Well we will have to wait to see what Fonte is like when he is fit which is taking longer than it should have done. There was a significant amount of match fitness doubt in our late summer signing, perhaps fitness is not a feature of Stats Boy's programme.