watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FA ban supporting the whites

Started by FFCAli, September 21, 2017, 12:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCAli

The FA covered up a "Super White Army" banner at Tranmere before the women's world cup qualifier this week.  Will we be banned from supporting our whites?
COYW!

Marcel_Gecov

Tell me this is because it was obstructing the view of other supporters and not because some idiot thought it was a white supremacy banner.

Keynsham

It certainly wasn't obstructing any views...

bog

For years I have been waiting for some of this nonsense to come to football. Are to have the end of the chant 'Come on you whites'?

092.gif

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: bog on September 21, 2017, 02:02:48 PM
For years I have been waiting for some of this nonsense to come to football. Are to have the end of the chant 'Come on you whites'?

092.gif

It wont be long before white space on websites is a racist hate crime. The problem it's usually about 5% of people who kick off who ruin it for the rest of it.

toshes mate

This was reported in the local Liverpool newspaper (quoting a Tranmere supporter)

"I suspect the banner was removed because it is Tranmere-specific (for want of a better phrase) and therefore at odds with it being an England home venue, same way they usually replace the host club's pitch side perimeter adverts with the FA's advertising partners.

"If the suggestion is it was removed because of racist connotations then it wouldn't be allowed to go on display at any game, not just an England game."

Lighthouse

Many of us grew up with collectible paper  golliwogs on jars of jam and marmalade.  There were golliwogs in Noddy and Big Ears. There was a childrens story about Brer rabbit and The Tar Baby. There was the Saturday Night entertainment show. The Black and White Minstrel show. They released LPs of the songs sung.

All of the above no longer exist in popular culture. Some would say that is a good thing. Others would say that we have become so outwardly correct and yet happily spout bile in chat rooms that we would have never had the nerve to do in the old days.

By throwing out the baby with the bath water. We have become a crueler and less accepting culture. Yes we can all agree that some things have improved. But overall the dictates of the political correct people have made this a much scarier place to live. Universities not wanting to allow debate in case it upsets the students. We live in ugly times that by putting on black tape to hide everything has just made us intolerant of everything. Pulling down statues and not listening does not make a better World.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 21, 2017, 02:33:18 PM
Many of us grew up with collectible paper  golliwogs on jars of jam and marmalade.  There were golliwogs in Noddy and Big Ears. There was a childrens story about Brer rabbit and The Tar Baby. There was the Saturday Night entertainment show. The Black and White Minstrel show. They released LPs of the songs sung.

All of the above no longer exist in popular culture. Some would say that is a good thing. Others would say that we have become so outwardly correct and yet happily spout bile in chat rooms that we would have never had the nerve to do in the old days.

By throwing out the baby with the bath water. We have become a crueler and less accepting culture. Yes we can all agree that some things have improved. But overall the dictates of the political correct people have made this a much scarier place to live. Universities not wanting to allow debate in case it upsets the students. We live in ugly times that by putting on black tape to hide everything has just made us intolerant of everything. Pulling down statues and not listening does not make a better World.

Never has a truer word been spoken. +10000000000000000000000000000

sunburywhite

The New Zealand rugby team must be laughing
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

hovewhite

What is this country were living in tottaly barmy!

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 21, 2017, 02:35:30 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 21, 2017, 02:33:18 PM

Never has a truer word been spoken. +10000000000000000000000000000

Not enough zeros on this tweet!
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

sunburywhite

Quote from: Statto on September 21, 2017, 07:52:33 PM
hmmm, personally i think you devalue the argument a bit if you suggest there's nothing wrong with gollywogs and and the black and white minstrel show. i don't generally sympathise with the liberal snowflakes who complain about these sorts of things but i am with them on those particular items. quite right they've been phased out.

As a white person I find snowflake offensive but I don't suppose we are allowed to complain
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Scrumpy

A few years back, I was sampling the delights of a dreary game at Wigan when a few late-comers told me they'd been held by police at Wigan railway station after a lady on their train accused them of being racists.

The song they were singing was 'Come on you whites'!

Thankfully, I think common sense prevailed and they were actually quite pleased to have missed some of the most boring game I have ever witnessed.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

andyk

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 21, 2017, 10:15:08 PM
A few years back, I was sampling the delights of a dreary game at Wigan when a few late-comers told me they'd been held by police at Wigan railway station after a lady on their train accused them of being racists.

The song they were singing was 'Come on you whites'!

Thankfully, I think common sense prevailed and they were actually quite pleased to have missed some of the most boring game I have ever witnessed.

They should have burst into a chorus of " black and white army",

toshes mate

The problems for the FA and facing up to the challenges of being seen to be equal, fair and just to all their charges continues to unravel with Martin Glenn now saying he 'deliberately chose a black lawyer to deal with the racism investigations' when the FA's solicitors had categorically denied such a thing in writing to the media.   Being equal, fair, and just is so much easier than pretending to be. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on September 22, 2017, 08:12:34 AM
The problems for the FA and facing up to the challenges of being seen to be equal, fair and just to all their charges continues to unravel with Martin Glenn now saying he 'deliberately chose a black lawyer to deal with the racism investigations' when the FA's solicitors had categorically denied such a thing in writing to the media.   Being equal, fair, and just is so much easier than pretending to be. 

Your dam right it is. 👍
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Keynsham

Quote from: toshes mate on September 21, 2017, 02:26:12 PM

"I suspect the banner was removed because it is Tranmere-specific (for want of a better phrase) and therefore at odds with it being an England home venue, same way they usually replace the host club's pitch side perimeter adverts with the FA's advertising partners.

"If the suggestion is it was removed because of racist connotations then it wouldn't be allowed to go on display at any game, not just an England game."

That (hopefully) makes more sense.

The gollywog thing is quite frankly, racist.  And no, I'm not a 'snowflake'.

toshes mate

I had a golliwog soft toy when I was very, very young.  Had been in the family for generations but is now long gone.  I can remember enjoying the Black and White Minstrels on BBC TV too.  I do understand the offence they caused when, clearly, to be non-white was a big disadvantage in life, but, as Lighthouse says, the reaction to race issues by pretending you can deal with it in set ways is misguided.  Respect needs to be fostered within each and every one of us as I am still learning even now, and it is never to be taken for granted. 

For the record I have been in relationships (as friends and closer) with many non-white people from many different cultures.  I have been to families, social events and parties where I was the only white and have, at times, felt the same things I imagine a non-white feels in an all white environment.  It is never easy to be the odd one out especially when someone else is making a point of letting you know so, but when you learn to accept that people are all the same deep down inside then there is so much warmth in knowing it has always been that way.  I just wish we could all accept each other as we are but sometimes it seems such a really tough ask. 

Forever Fulham

Respectfully, the rest of the world doesn't always see and know what Fulham fans and football fans know.  Many of their life experiences are quite different.  And some things don't cross the Pond all that well.  I know my fave football club's history, and expressions Lily Whites  and Come on you Whites! don't carry any racist impressions when used in England. The colour of the shirt is what it is.   But in the States, with its history, I have to catch myself at times from freely shouting out certain exhortations in public.  I don't go around walking  on egg shells.  But there are times and places where things get lost in translation, and your audience assumes something not intended. So you pick your words more carefully, not wanting misunderstanding and upset.  May sound silly to those who grew up in a football-saturated environment.  But the States carries its own baggage from the past to this day.  It's funny and sad at the same time how people are prisoners of what they don't know.  I used to drop in from time to time at a great old timey bar in Berkeley, Michigan, a suburb north of Detroit, called the Gay 20s, a reference to the hedonistic high times decade in the States that preceded the Great Depression of the '30s.  Before Prohibition.  The bar food was really good.  The place had an authentic saloon atmosphere.  It had been there so long, with  its distinctiive "Gay '20s" neon sign, the locals had a common understanding: It was time/place evocative.  But then "gay" became the new acceptable expression in lieu of homosexual.  And a younger demographic grew up less aware if at all about the Roaring '20s, that period in history.  It was no longer cool to go to that bar.  Stigmatised.   And so it became a sports bar.  TVs everywhere.  Awful food.  Totally remodeled in Early Bland.  No longer a period piece, it looked like just another totally forgettable and uninteresting watering hole/pick up joint.  I can't remember the name they gave it.  Duffy's or P.J.'s  or something meant to seem folksy, but more importantly, without the word "Gay" in it.   The word got hijacked.  Historic definition be damned.    Oh, well.   Come on you Whites!/