https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Former Fulham midfielder Sidwell tells another amazing Felix Magath story

Started by Friendsoffulham, September 23, 2017, 12:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Former Fulham midfielder Sidwell tells another amazing Felix Magath story

By Kyle Bonn

German manager Felix Magath has always been known as a mercurial individual, but as time passes from his failed stint in charge of relegated club Fulham, more and more stories continue to flow from former players that absolutely boggle the mind.

The most famous story thus far has come from former Fulham defender Brede Hangeland about Magath's suggestion that applying cottage cheese directly to his ailing knee would help solve his injury problem. Hangeland also spoke of how Magath would make the team run in the dead of night after returning from away trips, calling him "an awful human being."

Now, former Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell, who spent three years at Craven Cottage, spoke up about his own experiences under Magath. Sidwell, now with Brighton but yet to make a Premier League appearance, told BBC 5 Live Sports about another time Magath was frustrated with his squad, and how he chose a different way to express that during training.

"We played poorly – I can't remember what game it was – and we got off the bus and he said 'right, well everyone in tomorrow at 8:00 and we're gonna train.' We was due a day off but we're gonna be in for training. So everyone got in, we got outside...there was no balls coming out with us so we're thinking 'right, ok.' So he's gone 'right, your formation yesterday, can you get in your positions?' So we got on the pitch...goalkeeper, back four, midfield four, two strikers...stood there. And he said, 'right, you didn't want to run around yesterday, we're not gonna run around today.' And he just blew the whistle, and he said 'everyone just stand still.' And we had to just stand still. And it was a cold day, and there was a couple lads with gloves on, they was off straight away. There was leaves blowing across the pitch, you couldn't make eye contact with anyone, you had to just stand there, and I think we was just there for about 40 minutes just standing there."

In. Credible. Stuff. Sidwell also said that Magath had every player participate in a pint night before each and every away game, often in the hotel bar.

Magath was fired in September of 2014, just seven months after his hire, with Fulham having suffered an eleven-game winless streak. The Whites were eventually relegated later that season, and have not recovered since, still in the Championship looking for a return to the top flight.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/09/22/former-fulham-midfielder-sidwell-tells-another-amazing-felix-magath-story/amp/

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

love4ffc

There is really nothing at this point that would surprise me when it comes to Magath.  Obviously the most embarrassing and regrettable thing that Khan has done. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Southcoastffc

The standing there for 40 minutes strikes me as something that Brian Clough might do after a poor performance.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

No wonder the team looked like they had no spirit, Magath knocked the heart beat out of them. No surprise we were relegated, when there was still time to avoid the drop with the amount of matches still left to play. Fulham should have sued him for impersonating a Football Manager.
The worst example I have come across of the oddest form of Man Management this side of the Equator.
No wonder we were relegated.
The idea to employ him has to be the worst decision since Abraham Lincoln said, " I am fed up kicking around the house, let's go take in a show ".
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on September 23, 2017, 10:15:58 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 23, 2017, 08:28:14 AM
The standing there for 40 minutes strikes me as something that Brian Clough might do after a poor performance.

I was going to say exactly the same thing when I read this earlier!
All leaders have their eccentricities. When they don't work we laugh at those things, but when they work we say they're brilliant.

He was no Leader, he was a Dictator and a Tyrant, and a Control Freak.
Leaders have followers, the only person I know followed Magath was Mark Fotheringham.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

How will we choose our next Chief Coach, will it be in the hands of Stats Boy and could we again select someone like Magath, remember he had quite a good results record.

cmg

Quote from: Statto on September 23, 2017, 10:15:58 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 23, 2017, 08:28:14 AM

I was going to say exactly the same thing when I read this earlier!
All leaders have their eccentricities. When they don't work we laugh at those things, but when they work we say they're brilliant.

Yes, I too thought there was something a bit 'Cloughish' about this one - as was the having a few pints the night before the game.
There was usually some humour in what Clough did, though.
E.g: After a particularly poor 1st half, the Forest players trooped off dreading the lambasting they were about to get from the Manager. They sat there in fear and trepidation but there was no sign of Clough. Eventually, just before the end of the break, he popped his head round the door. "Sorry lads," he said, "My fault. I picked the wrong players."

Andy S

As Micky Adams used to say the only thing you get from looking back is a stiff neck. Its gone forget it

Twig

He was a bully with no leadership qualities whatsoever. A disaster for our club and one we are still trying to recover from. For me he is up there with the Clays of this world as a destructive force.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on September 23, 2017, 10:21:36 AM
How will we choose our next Chief Coach, will it be in the hands of Stats Boy and could we again select someone like Magath, remember he had quite a good results record.

So did Attila the Hun !!!!

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

There is a massive difference between a Footballer Manager of the quality, charisma,  leadership, personality and presence of Brian Clough, and an impersonator of the likes of Felix Wolfgang Magath.
When Cloughie was born they threw away the mould, a complete one off.
Magath was never born, they had to drill for him.

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham1959

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Andy S on September 23, 2017, 10:41:48 AM
As Micky Adams used to say the only thing you get from looking back is a stiff neck. Its gone forget it
Would like to forget it but those responsible for the appointment (and keeping him on after relegation), Khan/Mackintosh are still in positions to cause further mayhem. They have even added Stats Boy to their ranks to further disrupt any progress made.

hovewhite

The reason we went down we were rubbish compounded by mgath,that's life.get over it!

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Jims Dentist on September 28, 2017, 06:57:26 PM
Quote from: Andy S on September 23, 2017, 10:41:48 AM
Would like to forget it but those responsible for the appointment (and keeping him on after relegation), Khan/Mackintosh are still in positions to cause further mayhem. They have even added Stats Boy to their ranks to further disrupt any progress made.

You mean the same guys responsibile for that monstrosity Jokanovic and is his terrible 6th place finish? Lynch them from a tree! I'll grab my pitchfork!