watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We are not as good as people make out

Started by Wearethewhites, September 23, 2017, 06:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

I think some fans, including myself, automatically assume, or take for granted, that we are not as good as we think we are.

Off the back of last seasons successes, I think the main, assume, that, we should naturally be better, but are sitting here now, scratching our heads, as to why we've had such a poor start.

Granted, we've lost Cairney, been a little unlucky with injuries etc, but, if our summer had gone the way it should, we'd be doing a lot better than we are right now.

Naturally, some are saying its down to poor ref decisions, I don't buy that, ALL teams get their fair shared during a season, some are saying that the new players have yet to 'click' again, I don't buy that either.

Looking at the season on a whole, our summer, in my eyes was pretty pants, and again, is the downfall to our dreadful start.

Yes, we spent a little bit of money, yes we retained Cairney & Sess, yes we brought in a couple 'good prospects' and strengthened the squad, but what we didn't do, was bring enough enough 'key' acquisitions.   

I look out our defence, and wonder why we're still giving up late, sloppy goals, but then realise, nothing has been swapped out, or improved. Again, granted, we retained Kalas, but we've remained static, with no improvements.

Goalkeeper, granted, much better season, different coach, but again, nothing changed there, we remain static.

Up front, Kamara, scored today, hope that's a duck off his back, but unproven, along with Fonte', who is hardly prolific, and a record of being injury prone. If anything, we're worse off, and haven't improved an area, that we so desperately needed to.

I can go on here, but, feel I'll be jumped on from a great height, for being ungrateful, which I'm certainly not, but just feel we need to open out eyes a bit, and realise we're not as good as many make out.

We may have made some changes, but, also feel, that our competitors for promotion, have made bigger strides.   

filham

That is right we are well off the pace of last season.

The new centre midfielders bought as cover are no where near good enough to cover for Cairney.

Aluko was our best forward and the new men are not up to his standard.

We are missing Malone, Sessegnon is not yet ready to play regularly in a Championship team's defence.

Twig

I completely agree and am on record as having been unhappy with our summer window (and don't get me started on last January). The mantra is sustainability; fine, but sometimes you have to invest to progress.  We just broke even financially and so standing still in terms of squad strength makes sense, you get what you pay for (in the big picture sense).

JoelH5

I agree we're not as good as people make out.

I hate how every manager says we were the best team they played last season. We weren't. If that was the case we wouldn't be in the Championship now.

I don't know why we're not performing at the moment. Maybe it's a combination of our best player being out, the team thinking they're better than they are and us overachieving last year.

They say it's a pretty good indication as to how the season is going to go after ten games... I bloody well hope not.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

JoelH5

That streetwise comment is bang on. I think that's what we servely lack. Other teams know how to win dirty but win.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Lighthouse

The point is we were not as good last season as we thought we were. We played the best football and had a terrific run. But we lacked a spine that was consistently strong enough to push us to promotion.

This season we just repeated the same thing. Same defence, although Ream improved dramatically but we still have no forward. Yes plenty of forward thinking players but no forward.

Shock, horror, same problem. Joka has changed it a little. But we still miss chances or at least don't benefit from all the chances created. We still make basic errors at the back and look vulnerable to simple crosses.

However said all this in January. Bit bored now. All the coach can do is make us do things better. Sounds simple and I have no idea why Odoi isn't playing behind Sess. But I think we will continue to have good games. But we are simply not consistent enough to be as good as last season where we had a terrific run that flattered to deceive us from our basic problems. Shame it wasn't rectified in the Summer. Still we still have games where we look good. But the fact we haven't had a goalless draw at home in years and the fact we have so many goal scorers but no outstanding ones. Are the only facts that make sense.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Consistency is the key, and we need to adopt this asap whilst we still have enough matches left to catch up with Cardiff City. A consistent run is overdue and we have had our fair share of draws. Goals change games, and that is one of the reasons we failed to win today, as before our goal, we should have score at least once.
Another reason is that when we do take the lead with minutes remaining, we cannot cope with seeing a game out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitesideup

Boro was the best team we have played by some margin. I may well have a bet on them winning the league. But I thought we played as well as them. Apart from the goal, I don't remember Button making a save in the second half.

toshes mate

Quote from: Wearethewhites on September 23, 2017, 06:02:32 PM
Yes, we spent a little bit of money, yes we retained Cairney & Sess, yes we brought in a couple 'good prospects' and strengthened the squad, but what we didn't do, was bring enough enough 'key' acquisitions.   
Whether or not we strengthened the squad remains to be seen.  I still go along with those who say the sales of Malone and Aluko were foolhardy since they weakened what we had last season, and I'd still like to know, really know, what SJ thought about them.  But they are done and dusted deals and what we have is what we have.  I am still backing our maestro head coach to turn the corner next month.

Sinjun

I agree, we are not as good as last year for a number of reasons. The manager doesn't seem to have any input on transfers, not a good start. The new players are, it seems, brought into the squad not the team, possibly because of this transfer policy.
We may have played the best football last season but as was shown this doesn't win matches.
Most importantly though, is that the other teams have worked Fulham out and play accordingly to stifle the team. I'm afraid it will be a season of mediocrity.
Sinjun