watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Premiership

Started by Fernhurst, September 25, 2017, 08:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Not sure if it's just me, but it appears the top 6 in the Prem have got bigger, faster and are now playing games with increasing skill and physicality.

This has happened since our relegation and now looks a quite fearsome place to compete.
Huddersfield, Newcastle and Brighton have all got places in the embryonic league table that has surprised me, it will be very interesting to monitor their long term positions.

How many of our current squad have Premiership quality?

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Mince n Tatties

At the moment,I'd have to say none.

toshes mate

Perhaps Mince has a point, but wouldn't it be exciting to have that challenge week in, week out?   Or do we just say 'I know my place'?  The players alone will prove up to the task or not as the case may be when we get there.  It's a long season and I sense all three newbies may have a tough time surviving although I hope they all do so.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on September 25, 2017, 08:46:07 AM
Perhaps Mince has a point, but wouldn't it be exciting to have that challenge week in, week out?   Or do we just say 'I know my place'?  The players alone will prove up to the task or not as the case may be when we get there.  It's a long season and I sense all three newbies may have a tough time surviving although I hope they all do so.

So do I.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Keynsham

It would be a bit funny to see Newcastle relegated again.  Fat, bald, topless, crying Geordies always make me laugh for some reasons.

And so do their husbands when they start to blab too.

Maybe two of ours at the moment, but not any more.

Marcel_Gecov

I think out of the three Huddersfield seem to have the most about them. Brighton, for me, don't have enough up top and will struggle with goals. Newcastle are so difficult as they look like they could spontaneously combust at any time.

Carborundum

How many could play a meaningful role at any of the top six or seven teams in the Prem?  None.  Possibly Sessegnon in a year or two.

How many could play a meaningful role at one of the lesser lights?  Many, perhaps most of our starters

Marcel_Gecov

I could see StefJo being a very decent premiership midfielder, I don't understand why there never seems to be any transfer rumour about him.

snarks

Of those currently with us, I'd say johanson, Sess, Cairney, Kalas for definite. McDonald, Fredericks, Fonte, Ayite and Kabano are maybe's. Ream I think not but.... and the rest definitely not (although AK47, Mollo and Soares haven't played enough to say for certain)

JOND999

premiership teams don't miss 2-on-1 walk in opportunities like AK did v. Boro.  that's the difference.  they just don't.  they have better quality in finishing.  i actually think defensively and in the midfield, not as much of a difference b/t the Prem and the Champ. 

Fernhurst

By far the most criminal miss on saturday was Sessegnon from Ojo's cross about 5 mins earlier

Hmmmm not sure about that Statto..... Reckon it was those 3 culprits not clearing that 88th minute corner ...... I was so peed off.

JOND999

Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2017, 06:35:14 PM
Quote from: JOND999 on September 25, 2017, 05:34:29 PM
premiership teams don't miss 2-on-1 walk in opportunities like AK did v. Boro.  that's the difference.  they just don't.  they have better quality in finishing.  i actually think defensively and in the midfield, not as much of a difference b/t the Prem and the Champ. 

I would wager that in at least half the premiership matches this weekend, or any weekend, someone missed a chance at least as "easy" as that. When he received the ball he had one boro player between him and the goal and two more only a yard behind him. If he had the pace of Harry Kane or Jamie Vardy, it wouldn't even have been a goal-scoring chance, just a player receiving the ball in a non-threatening position 30 yards away from the goal.

By far the most criminal miss on saturday was Sessegnon from Ojo's cross about 5 mins earlier

i would agree with this.  but half of the matches means once every 4 games a Prem club misses a chance like AK47 had.  we had 2 in the Boro game alone.  plus Sone Aluko had one or two each match for us.  the point is not all/none but merely that imho the bigger difference b/t the Prem and the Champ is in the quality of the forwards, not the quality of the middies and defence.

AlexW132

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 25, 2017, 02:55:51 PM
I could see StefJo being a very decent premiership midfielder, I don't understand why there never seems to be any transfer rumour about him.
Because he doesn't grab the headlines like Cairney.

The Rock

4-5 on any given day, pick your favourites. With TC in the side 6-7. Spurs in the Cup last year was a perfect example, they were simply a class above. But, they are simply a class above the bottom 12-13 teams in the PL table as well. Top 10 in the Championship/bottom 10 PL you can't really see much difference.

Fernhurst

Class above ..   good description.

We must be ambitious as a club but my recent observations conclude at least 24 points won't be available to us.