watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

On this day, 2013

Started by Friendsoffulham, September 25, 2017, 09:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Shahid Khan and Fulham FC removed the Michael Jackson from Craven Cottage, after the FST campaign.

Abbotsbury White

LOL!!And it's been downhill ever since.
Is it true that Al Fayed has it at home ?
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Mo on September 25, 2017, 09:33:19 AM
LOL!!And it's been downhill ever since.
Is it true that Al Fayed has it at home ?

It's in the football museum.

Woolly Mammoth

Are those four blokes wearing Strawberry coloured hi vizes in broad daylight, are they the Fulham Board. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2017, 01:53:40 PM
Quote from: Mo on September 25, 2017, 09:33:19 AM
it's been downhill ever since.

Exactly

Surprised and disappointed to hear the FST campaigned for this. Always thought Khan did it unilaterally to mark his new territory with his own scent. I don't remember the other 99.99% of supporters being consulted.
Thought it was a khan decision,so now thrilling the museam hey ho!

Fulham 442

It was an awful statue.  It looked like a blow up version of a figure that would come out of a cereal packet and if anything looked even worse in real life than it does in pictures.  I was glad to see the back of it.  It was so embarrassing and a source of great amusement to opposition fans and how was it in any way relevant to Fulham - just because MJ attended a game once?  The football museum in Manchester is more than welcome  to it.  Just don't ever try and give it back!!

filham

Quote from: Fulham 442 on September 25, 2017, 05:51:47 PM
It was an awful statue.  It looked like a blow up version of a figure that would come out of a cereal packet and if anything looked even worse in real life than it does in pictures.  I was glad to see the back of it.  It was so embarrassing and a source of great amusement to opposition fans and how was it in any way relevant to Fulham - just because MJ attended a game once?  The football museum in Manchester is more than welcome  to it.  Just don't ever try and give it back!!
Gladly accept the statue back if MAF accompanied it.

Fulham 442

A lot of people have rose tinted glasses looking back on the MAF era. He was great at first but stopped investing when he decided he wanted out. I no longer join in with the songs celebrating him. He decided to leave and so he did. As Khan said on Talk Sport this week Fulham football club will still be standing when he too has gone.

grandad

Quote from: Fulham 442 on September 25, 2017, 07:16:15 PM
A lot of people have rose tinted glasses looking back on the MAF era. He was great at first but stopped investing when he decided he wanted out. I no longer join in with the songs celebrating him. He decided to leave and so he did. As Khan said on Talk Sport this week Fulham football club will still be standing when he too has gone.

:plus one:
MAF destroyed the Club after the Europa Cup Final. Refused to invest when it was urgently required to push on.
OK he got us up from the dregs without the FFP restrictions, got his money back.
Mr Khan is the man to lead us back by sensible means. He has invested heavily on  MP & the BBC Land. He will be investing multi millions in the new development. All out of the FFP scheme of things.
Where there's a will there's a wife

AlexW132

Quote from: grandad on September 25, 2017, 07:59:04 PM

MAF destroyed the Club after the Europa Cup Final. Refused to invest when it was urgently required to push on.
OK he got us up from the dregs without the FFP restrictions, got his money back.
Mr Khan is the man to lead us back by sensible means. He has invested heavily on  MP & the BBC Land. He will be investing multi millions in the new development. All out of the FFP scheme of things.
:plus one: time to move on from Al Fayed, just like United have from Fergie.

Patrick

Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2017, 07:41:13 PM

The lowest point in the rich 138 year history of this club was finishing 17th in division 3 in 1996, the season before MAF took over, and the highest point was PL 7th 2009/EL final 2010.

So, MAF literally took this club from its nadir to its zenith.

I'd be surprised if anywhere in world football there's a single person who can claim to have had a more positive impact on a football club than MAF had on FFC. More than Haynes, Hill, Cohen and Hodgson combined.

Within a year of him going, we were half way back down to where he found us.

No rose-tinted spectacles required to remember that fondly.
Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2017, 07:41:13 PM

The lowest point in the rich 138 year history of this club was finishing 17th in division 3 in 1996, the season before MAF took over, and the highest point was PL 7th 2009/EL final 2010.

So, MAF literally took this club from its nadir to its zenith.

I'd be surprised if anywhere in world football there's a single person who can claim to have had a more positive impact on a football club than MAF had on FFC. More than Haynes, Hill, Cohen and Hodgson combined.

Within a year of him going, we were half way back down to where he found us.

No rose-tinted spectacles required to remember that fondly.

+1000%.....the ''actual facts'' ...ie position in 1996 versus position in 2008/9 + Europa Final...are actual facts!!!   The other comments are ''opinion''

Long Live Mo!

AlexW132

Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2017, 08:09:40 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on September 25, 2017, 08:03:35 PM

What by naming their main stand after him and building a statue? If we do that, fine be me.
That's commemorating him. They don't say ooh if only Fergie was still here, they say, no we have José now lets get behind him. I don't buy this 'Al Fayed loved the club' rhetoric that I often see on here. I absolutely respect what he did for us, and provided us with moments that we'll never forget, but at the end of the day in 1997 any man and his dog who had billions lying in the bank would be able to get a team to the Premiership. Fulham was his investment, and something that he knew he'd be able to make money out of. Also, the notion that Khan is fully responsible for our relegation is nonsense, as in the years after Hamburg the investment from Al Fayed into the club was very little, and by 2013 we had an old, overpaid squad which was condemned to fail. Al Fayed decided to cash in. Also, little things such as the obvious attempt to market Harrods with the 2010-11 third kit and the horrendous Michael Jackson statue (which I seem to recall lead to him calling the fans 'stupid') were just weird. Also, his petty comments following its removal I thought were just simply disrespectful. Again, I totally respect what he's done for us and he's a club legend but I think we need to move on and look to the future.

Fulham 442

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 25, 2017, 08:57:56 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2017, 08:09:40 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on September 25, 2017, 08:03:35 PM

[/quote

That's commemorating him. They don't say ooh if only Fergie was still here, they say, no we have José now lets get behind him. I don't buy this 'Al Fayed loved the club' rhetoric that I often see on here. I absolutely respect what he did for us, and provided us with moments that we'll never forget, but at the end of the day in 1997 any man and his dog who had billions lying in the bank would be able to get a team to the Premiership. Fulham was his investment, and something that he knew he'd be able to make money out of. Also, the notion that Khan is fully responsible for our relegation is nonsense, as in the years after Hamburg the investment from Al Fayed into the club was very little, and by 2013 we had an old, overpaid squad which was condemned to fail. Al Fayed decided to cash in. Also, little things such as the obvious attempt to market Harrods with the 2010-11 third kit and the horrendous Michael Jackson statue (which I seem to recall lead to him calling the fans 'stupid') were just weird. Also, his petty comments following its removal I thought were just simply disrespectful. Again, I totally respect what he's done for us and he's a club legend but I think we need to move on and look to the future.

My sentiments exactly Alex.

Twig

We've had this discussion many times before, there seems little point in revisiting it again.  A few diehards aside, most fans on both sides of the argument make some fair points. I think we should just move on.

Andy S

It was good but it's all gone so let's look to the future with hope