watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can't believe it's 41 years today since

Started by SP, September 25, 2017, 09:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

We signed George Best according to the Ofal. I have such a clear recollection of this momentous signing & seeing him in our beloved kit for the first time. Plenty has already been written on here to capture his stay with us, RIP Georgie Boy.

049:gif

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

Lighthouse

Jeez that long ago. I remember really well the whole build up to the will he, wont he sign saga. Then that debut missed hit first goal. Happy days.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Yes his first goal for Fulham on his debut v Wolves in the first minute of the match in front of 25,000 at the Cottage, I shall never forget it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Harry Bayles

Afraid you have forgotten Wooly , his first game and goal was against Bristol Rovers

jarv

First home game. Wolves. I was there too.

When Fulham played away that season, because of George, 7 teams had record breaking crowds I recall.

Happy days.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: jarv on September 26, 2017, 01:36:14 PM
First home game. Wolves. I was there too.

When Fulham played away that season, because of George, 7 teams had record breaking crowds I recall.

Happy days.

Sorry, definitely 1-0 win against Bristol Rovers with a shot at the Hammersmith End beating Jim Eadie.

toshes mate

It was definitely against Bristol Rovers in the 71st second of the match although I seem to remember it was at the Hammy End.... only because I got in just in time to see it from the Putney End but my memory may be failing me.   Over twenty one thousand attended that game and a couple of thousand more turned up for the following home game against Wolves.

Abbotsbury White

I was right behind the goal when Best scored against Bristol Rovers seem to have a memory of him shooting from edge of the box and it squeezing past their keeper?,not Georges greatest goal but boy did it brighten up our day, normal crowds were circa 14 k and over 20k for his debut he put about 35% on the attendance..amazing.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

SP

Quote from: Mo on September 26, 2017, 02:19:38 PM
I was right behind the goal when Best scored against Bristol Rovers seem to have a memory of him shooting from edge of the box and it squeezing past their keeper?,not Georges greatest goal but boy did it brighten up our day, normal crowds were circa 14 k and over 20k for his debut he put about 35% on the attendance..amazing.

I would've been right next to you in my usual position.  Shows how things have changed on so many fronts, George would have an army of advisers & managers in the modern game - I'm not sure if they'd have made any difference?  The lack of traffic on the motorway in those days meant we left Cornwall about 08:00 & arrived in plenty of time to park next to the ground for free.  Happy days indeed.

Burt