watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bullard on Soccer AM

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, September 26, 2017, 08:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Although he was his usually cheeky chappy self, I was rather concerned by his appearance.

He looked wrecked. Hair gone grey, face prematurely aged. Dressed in rags. Looked a bit like a homeless person.

Holders

Was he J R Hartley in disguise?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 26, 2017, 08:49:38 AM
Although he was his usually cheeky chappy self, I was rather concerned by his appearance.

He looked wrecked. Hair gone grey, face prematurely aged. Dressed in rags. Looked a bit like a homeless person.
Just being a style icon SiQ, not my taste but fashion is very much a personal thing........    092.gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Looks like he has been sleeping in shop doorways again.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Keynsham

I hope that the vile, moneygrabbing cretin is broke.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Keynsham on September 26, 2017, 11:42:54 AM

hehe - say what you really think lol

I don't disagree though.

Woolly Mammoth

He certainly does his utmost to look as though he is broke, and he looks unemployable, although he could get a job as a vagrant.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Marcel_Gecov

It's not even like he's particularly funny. He appeals to the sunday league crowd as there's always one nutter who is useless but is kept around in favour of 'bantz'. He is Bullard.

fulhamfan

The Swan

I liked Bullard. He did a lot for Fulham with his goals and assists . We could do with a player of his skill in the team now.( as he was when he played for us)
The Swan

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on September 26, 2017, 02:16:32 PM

One of the top 3 or 4 English players we've had in the last 30 years, on the fringes of the national team at his peak. Still remember his brilliant free kick against villa which gave us our first win under Hodgson and our first step towards the great escape. Then he Left us for a tidy fee at the perfect time, just past his peak, like McCormack and Aluko have done more recently. So why the bitterness?

Top 3 or 4? Really? Murphy, Zamora, Cairney and Parker (that's off the top of my head) would have something to say about that. Bullard was a decent player, but when you think that the England team has had Jay Boothroyd playing for it in recent memory...

Bitterness is down to his incoherent interview where he suggested Hull City were the biggest club he'd played for. he also said this:

"I had sixteen months left on my contract, which to me – I've been out sixteen months, I know it isn't a long time –  Also I didn't feel I had the backing from the club, so I felt like it was time to move on. I felt like Fulham didn't want me and it was as simple as that really. I was in talks with Fulham over a contract and I was told I'm not getting a new contract and I can leave in January. So for a player to be told that was quite harsh, you know, and I came up to speak to Hull and it was totally different, and it sort of made it a lot easier for me. I'm only human, I just wanted to play for a team who really wanted me, and Hull showed me that really."

Read that again:

and I wasn't willing to play with sixteen months... with one year left on my contract, and I did tell them that, I made that clear, even though I am under contract.

If Aluko had said that in an interview he'd be quite rightly pilloried as Bullard is now - whats the difference? We had just rehabilitated him for 16 months and there was no guarantee he wouldn't get injured again (which poor Hull found out quickly) why would he deserve a longer contract?

That I think is the long and short of the bitterness.

Keynsham

I was trying to hunt down the quote from his Hull press conference at the very least.  He was an average player that did well (initially) for us, who's ego far outstripped his ability.

And then there was the greed after the club had done so much for him to get him back on the pitch, as Marcel has said.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on September 26, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
Cairney is Scottish and Murphy and Parker were past it when we signed them, so I suggest you keep thinking Marcel. I will help you by saying Sean Davis.

As to that quote, not sure how that advances your argument. I'd struggle to think of a single season where a player hasn't left us for more money or long term security somewhere else. It's far from admirable but it's also far from unusual. As I said, Aluko (who literally did exactly what that Bullard quote describes, just without having the decency to say so in public) McCormack, add to that Roberts, Dembele and possibly even Malone... in fact pretty much every player that's left of their own volition

Murphy still counts though as he was 31, was our captain and a huge part of our success. Far more so than Bullard. Cairney is debateable as he was born in Nottingham which according to my atlas is in england. "One of the top 3 or 4 English players" - Cairney is english whther he's registered or not so counts.

You asked why there's bitterness - the quote alongside other comments is why. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Aluko, Malone, McCormack, Roberts etc weren't out for 16 months and then bailed on the club because they wouldn't pay him higher wages after 8 months of being back...?

Mince n Tatties

He was interviewed a couple of months back on morning TV,had a man bun,what looked like a girls blouse under a pink waistcoat and jeans torn to shreds.
Everyone to their own,but he looked a stand in for Quentin Crisp...

Keynsham

Although an interesting conversation to have outside of this one, I'm not fussed where he ranks among his peers. 

But those were my reasons for disliking him, and because they are personal as well as unimportant and historical then I don't really see them changing very much.

FFC1987

To be fair to him though, about 2 years when he was on Talksport, I tweeted a question 'do you regret leaving Fulham with hindsight' he said absolutely yes and it was a dreadful decision for him all round and put lots of praise on the club.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on September 26, 2017, 04:17:25 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 26, 2017, 03:53:28 PM
Murphy still counts though as he was 31, was our captain and a huge part of our success. Far more so than Bullard. Cairney is debateable as he was born in Nottingham which according to my atlas is in england. "One of the top 3 or 4 English players" - Cairney is english whther he's registered or not so counts.

Yes Danny Murphy was very good for us. So was Danny Cullip but that didn't get him into the England team. Same goes for Cairney who wouldn't have played for Scotland if he had even the remotest chance of playing for England. Only FFC players I can recall being in or around the national team whilst at Fulham are Davis, Zamora, knight and smalling. Arguably Bullard was better than any of that lot. Certainly he isn't far enough down the list to justify you taking issue with my original comment this much.

I haven't taken issue with your comment particularly - my point (though messily put together - thank heavens Cairney was born south of the wall) was merely that I didn't agree and think that Bullard is hugely overrated both as a presenter, banter-in-chief and most importantly footballer. If he was shy and retiring and not bounding over teammates in a goalmouth scramble he wouldnt have been anywhere near the england team.

alexmur

Is that not just hipster fashion

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: alexmur on September 26, 2017, 04:47:58 PM

Is that not just hipster fashion

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On the contrary, hipsters are well dressed, well-kempt, beard that makes city slicker look like a lumberjack , drink craft beer, smoke a pipe and eat popcorn in bars rather than nuts/crisps. Bullard looks more like a feminist or liberal.

Holders

Just an interpretation of his comment: He had a 16-month layoff, was rehabilitated by the club and was, he says, talking about a new deal. He infers that he perceived that the club didn't value him - perhaps because they didn't want to commit to an extended term or higher wages given any doubt over his long-term fitness and the fact they'd just paid him for a long period for nothing.

Hull wanted him, so of course they'd say things to make him feel good and wanted. Pretty obvious.  Selling him when we did was great business for us, maybe we knew that the knee wouldn't go on for ever.

In any case, twazzock though he was and possibly a mercenary one, I liked him and was sorry when he got the career-ending injury so soon into his time with Hull. 15 minutes, wasn't it?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria