more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (08/10/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 08, 2017, 07:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Norwood hoping to mark 50th cap with win

Northern Ireland midfielder Oliver Norwood is hoping to celebrate his 50th cap on Sunday night by beating Norway in Oslo and securing a place in November's play-offs for the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia.

Norwood is one of six NI players who are one booking away from missing the first leg of any potential play-off next month through suspension.

The 26-year-old, currently on loan at Fulham from Brighton, made his first appearance against Montenegro in August 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41540707

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

What a result that was last Friday night! We didn't make it easy for ourselves at the end but we got the three points, which always feel all the better when they're from a local derby. With all due respect to Queens Park Rangers, we're a much better football team. Results are hard to come by in this league, they really are, it doesn't matter who you're playing. And again, no disrespect, QPR are inferior to us so we're going to bring out the best in them because it's a local derby and they'll have been desperate to beat us, so that makes it an even better result in my book.

It was pleasing to see how well we defended when they lay siege to our goal in the closing stages. That's what you've got to do. If there's only one goal in it with that amount of time to go, they are going to put balls into your area and you've got to handle it. It's so hard, even for the really good footballing teams, to not automatically drop deeper and deeper when you're in that situation. Every team, no matter how bad they are, are going to have a period in the game where they put you under pressure, and it's how you cope with it. And we coped well, although it was quite Fulhamish for it to be so tense at the end!

The scenes when Stefan Johansen drilled in that second goal were a joy to behold, and what a well taken goal it was. If a chance is going to fall to someone outside the area like that, then you want it to be him. He's got such a sweet left foot that he made it look easy. There's no better way of scoring than in front of 3,000 of your own fans when you're the away side in a derby.

With Tom Cairney injured, Stefan has had to take on even more responsibility, and he's stood out for me. What he's good at, and what Cairney's good at as well, is being able to see the final ball. He's always looking to go forward. A lot of players, and I'm not talking about our boys here, keep possession for possession's sake. Johansen is always looking to probe, always looking for that little ball in.

We had a great week prior to the international break, winning seven points in as many days, and that's made the table look a lot better from a Fulham point of view. What's stuck out for me is that everyone's beating everyone at the moment. I think the side that finishes sixth this season could be on a fairly low points tally, compared to previous years, because it really is that close. I reckon there are about 12 teams who fancy that they could finish in the top-six. Teams like Preston and Sheffield United have barely spent anything and they're looking really good this season.

England could confirm qualification for the World Cup this week. I never played for my country, although my Mum said I was definitely the best player not to get an international cap! It never bothered me in my playing days, but since retiring it does quite annoy me. I was never concerned at the time as I loved playing for my club, but as you come out of it you do wish you received an England cap, maybe more for my family rather than myself.

The sorts of guys who were getting in the England team ahead of me were Steve Foster, Terry Fenwick, Russell Osman, Terry Butcher, Alvin Martin, Des Walker, Graham Roberts. I think today's game probably would have suited me better because I was more of a footballer, and today they say all centre-backs have got to be comfortable on the ball. I had that, not a problem, but I probably wasn't as aggressive as some of the other more typical defenders.

I had England youth and Under-21 caps and they're pride of place at my Mum's – she won't let me anywhere near them! Apparently I was always sort of being thought of for the senior squad, but never managed to get in one. When I look back at my career, I reckon people thought I was a risk because I liked to play football as much as I could. With that in mind, playing in this Fulham side would have suited me down to the ground as the Manager does give you licence to play. I'd have loved to have played in this Fulham team.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/october/06/the-tony-gale-column

filham

Note to Tony Gale.
We too would have liked to have you in this Fulham team, you would have fitted like a glove.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on October 08, 2017, 01:20:57 PM
Note to Tony Gale.
We too would have liked to have you in this Fulham team, you would have fitted like a glove.

Indeed he most certainly would.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.