more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (09/10/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 09, 2017, 07:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Killing The EFL Slowly In The Search Of £££

It appears the EFL have come up with another way of screwing loyal fans, however well intentioned their original idea may have been.

It was only at the end of last month (Click Here) I was talking about falling attendances in the EFL Cup, despite attendances being propped up by some of the sides involved, and how inadvertently the EFL bending to sponsor wishes to have draws abroad and at 'silly o'clock times' had only exacerbated a diminishing view of the competition from fans, especially as a growing numbers of sides (and now at all levels) seem to routinely make greater changes to the sides as they prioritise league competition.

That piece itself came on the back of plenty talking about how fans now view the EFL Trophy as a devalued competition as the EFL chased money from the Premier League by allowing Category One Academy clubs into the competition with the spirit of better developing youngsters, whilst until this year, fining League One and Two clubs who took the opportunity to blood their own youngsters in the competition as the 'selection rules' more favoured the top sides (hence seeing seasoned internationals have a run out) compared to the selection constraints clubs who the competition was designed for, had to operate under.

For the EFL Trophy in particular, the EFL made the admission that they had manually manipulated the group stage draw to ensure that two main local rivals had not been drawn against each other (Click Here) whilst having a 'local' feel to each group to minimise fan travel.

Again, to minimise travel as an overall aim can be fully understood but some sides saw their ball number removed for the pot creations to make it physically impossible for some local sides to face each other - although EFL boss Shaun Harvey did explain that it was at the request of Portsmouth and Southampton.

But it's still not really in the spirit of an open draw or competition is it?

The EFL have now bettered that, but not on the basis of minimising fan disruption or safety, fan disruption was the aim apparently - in order to create better atmospheres and gate revenue.

The Mirror were one of many to report earlier this week that EFL boss Harvey had admitted that 'conscious scheduling decisions' had been taken with this year's fixtures lists to prioritise long away day journeys and ensure they went into the midweek calendar.

The paper report that Harvey has admitted midweek ties have been basically written off this season as they prioritise weekend games with a better overall gate return - gate return translates as money for clubs after all.

The fixtures in midweek ahead of the October international break saw Norwich fans make a 456 round trip to Middlesbrough, and they were far from alone as Wolves fans have faced trips to Hull (280 miles) as well as a tie against Sheffield United. Wolves trip to Carrow Road - overall seven hours - was another involving lengthy trips to Millwall and Leeds.

It's not just Championship sides effected, Plymouth faced a 570 mile trip to see the Wigan game, and Stevenage faced a 541 trip to Carlisle United. I could continue to list others but I'm sure the point has been made.

The Mirror seem to lean on a BBC Radio report where Harvey presumably addressed a constant slide this year in midweek attendances.

'We make that scheduling choice to get bigger games at weekends because that provides better atmosphere and increases gate revenue for clubs.'

Funny how the word 'atmosphere' goes ahead of 'increases gate revenue for clubs' isn't it. A cynic would say be honest and put them in the right order because if atmosphere is what you are after, there's nothing better than an evening match for that under the floodlights!

Maybe I'm being nostalgic, or being a fan, maybe I simply have a different perspective as all I see are fans shafted left right and centre in the search of 'sponsor pleasure' and 'increased revenue'.

I say tomato, clearly others say 'give me the money!'.

'The flip side is that those games that are at a distance have to go into midweek. It is a deliberate act - but the reason for it is to ensure we get bigger crowds at weekends rather than lower crowds in the midweek.'

With a new £600million deal struck with Sky Sports recently, with words like 'revolutionary' thrown around in the PR guff, if you expect fans to swallow the line '...to ensure we get bigger crowds at weekends rather than lower crowds in the midweek' when you've already admitted 'lower crowds in the midweek' are a natural consequence of the decision you took, frankly you're having a laugh.

How about sensible away scheduling, with longer journeys set for the weekend - you know a weekend, people have more time to spare without worrying about work?

Maybe use some of that £600million on midweek away travel solutions that make it affordable and convenient for fans to make the trip so you grow that (cough) 'atmosphere' in midweek games and then you know, maybe do the same for weekend trips to ensure they continue to be well attended?

Stupid me, far cheaper and simpler to ask the regular and loyal away dayers to bend over and take one for the team isn't it.

Some would accuse the EFL of not thinking this TV deal through as they salivated over the revenue offer but I don't agree, don't forget the new deal allows clubs to 'stream' any game not shown at 3pm on a Saturday.

So whilst originally promoting the ease to which fans could watch midweek action on the telebox, we now find out that 'conscious scheduling decisions' have been made that will inevitably make midweek games dull, quiet affairs - but hey clubs are still quids in as fans pay for online access to the matches.

I'd say it's been expertly thought through - only problem is once you break the habit of attending for a fan, it's incredibly hard to get them back again.

That doesn't benefit the clubs long term...that benefits only the television companies and there will become a point where 'fan attendance' becomes inconsequential to club revenue, and when the TV companies truly have all the power...do the EFL think TV deals and revenue will continue to grow?

Read more: http://www.rochdale.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=507733#ixzz4uzNrHmlT

WhiteJC

Northern Ireland midfielder Ollie Norwood enjoying 'wonderful journey'

Ollie Norwood has described his time with Northern Ireland as a "wonderful journey" as he prepares to win his 50th cap.

Norwood, currently on a season-long loan at Fulham from Brighton, will reach the landmark if he is selected by manager Michael O'Neill for the crucial World Cup Qualifier in Norway on Sunday night, live on Sky Sports.

The 26-year-old's first competitive game at international level was a 3-0 defeat to Italy, which proved to be Nigel Worthington's last game in charge.

The side has improved greatly under O'Neill's stewardship, however, and they qualified for last year's European Championships.

Oliver Norwood will earn his 50th cap if he is picked to face Norway

Northern Ireland are already guaranteed second place in World Cup European Qualifying Group and will secure a play-off spot if they avoid defeat by more than one goal in Oslo, even if Scotland beat Slovenia in their final qualifier.

That turnaround has impressed Norwood, who has witnessed massive improvements in the six years since O'Neill took over.

"I was having a laugh with my friends at the time saying 'I don't want to get just one cap'," Norwood told Sky Sports News.

"Luckily enough with selection I've managed to stay injury-free. It's been a wonderful journey. I've enjoyed every single second of playing for Northern Ireland.

"The team has massively developed in my time. I remember my debut in Montenegro, we weren't really going anywhere.

"My first competitive start was Italy away and it was Nigel's [Worthington] last game in charge. We got beat 3-0 and there wasn't a great feel around the squad at the time."

Norwood qualified to represent Northern Ireland through his grandad Joe and is convinced he made the right decision to turn his back on England, having represented them at U16 and U17 level.

"What I've experienced in my short international career so far playing in the European Championships can be the pinnacle of any career and I've been lucky enough to be involved in that," he added.

"It would have never happened if I'd said no to Northern Ireland. If I'm honest, I'd never have played for England in a European Championship.

"If the opportunity arises for players, and I'm sure there are a few out there, we'd welcome people with open arms."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12019/11072286/northern-ireland-midfielder-ollie-norwood-enjoying-wonderful-journey

WhiteJC

Fulham boss pleased to see EFL agree to follow Premier League in changing transfer window rules

Whites manager says it makes sense to close transfer window before the season starts

Slavisa Jokanovic believes closing the summer transfer window before the season starts is a good idea.

The Premier League agreed to changing the current rules to shut the summer transfer window before the new season kicks off, rather than at the end of August.

And the EFL recently followed suit, agreeing to the move too, with a formal vote due at the start of 2018.

And Fulham boss Jokanovic is all for the change.

He said: "I believe it's a good idea. If the Premier League made this step it's logical that the Championship teams do the same thing. At the end I expect we're going to have the same rules as the Premier League teams."

The EFL proposals would allow clubs to bring loan players in after the start of August though.

Jokanovic added: "I believe this loan rule can bring us more players in for pre-season, I believe we can start working with 90 per cent of the team that we are going to start the Championship with and this is great news.

"If you start pre-season with one team and in second half of pre-season you are with a second and then at the start of the season you have a third and then you finish the month with a fourth this doesn't make any sense. At the end I think this is a very good idea and I support this 100 per cent."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-pleased-see-efl-13732478

WhiteJC

International Whites

Tim Ream's United States have their World Cup destiny in their own hands going into the final round of matches.

The top-three from the CONCACAF region will automatically progress to Russia, while fourth place will compete in a Play-Off.

The States currently occupy that fourth spot, but they're only a point behind third place Panama who they host in Orlando on Friday before travelling to the Port of Spain to take on bottom nation Trinidad & Tobago on Tuesday.

Oliver Norwood and Northern Ireland have all but secured a Play-Off spot after guaranteeing they finish as runners-up in Group C of European qualifying.

Out of the nine groups, the eight nations to have finished second with the best points tally will advance to the Play-Offs.

Northern Ireland are currently the second best placed side in that cluster of nine countries, and so they would need to lose at home to Germany and away to Norway, as well as all the other runners-up picking up maximum points, to miss out. 

Stefan Johansen is in that Norway squad who are now just playing for pride and can only finish as high as third in Group C.

They're away to San Marino on Thursday before welcoming Northern Ireland to Oslo three days later.

Group C has a significant Fulham presence to it with Tomas Kalas also set to feature.

The Czech Republic are another nation whose final fixtures have little riding on them; they travel to Baku to play Azerbaijan on Thursday, followed by San Marino in Plzen on Sunday.

Estonia could technically still finish second in Group H but it is effectively impossible as they would need a 22-goal swing to displace Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Mattias Kait has been in good form for his country since making his debut, and he'll be hoping for some more international experience in their meetings with Gibraltar and the Bosnians.

In Africa, Neeskens Kebano still has plenty to play for as the Democratic Republic of Congo aim to snatch a place in Russia.

Only the top side in Group A will qualify, and that is currently Tunisia who sit three points above Congo with two fixtures remaining apiece.

Kebano and his teammates are away to Libya on Saturday before their final match at home to Guinea in November. It's likely they'll need to win them both and hope Tunisia slip up in order to book a World Cup place.

At Under-21 level, two of Fulham's youngsters will be competing in European Qualifiers.

Aron Davies' Wales travel to Liechtenstein, while Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson and Iceland have an away double header with Slovakia and Albania.

Tayo Edun is back in the England Under-20 camp for their friendlies against Italy and the Czech Republic, and Steven Sessegnon is hoping for World Cup glory in India with the Under-17s.

Finally, Mikolaj Kwietniewski is in the Poland Under-19 party for their trio of European Qualifiers against Northern Ireland, Belarus and Germany.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/october/05/international-whites

WhiteJC

Jokanovic welcomes transfer window move
by Dan on October 8, 2017

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic has welcomed the English football authorities' move to close the summer transfer window before the start of the season.

The Premier League clubs recently voted to close the August window before the start of the domestic campaign rather than at the end of the calendar month and the English Football League have also backed the plans – with a formal vote of the member clubs scheduled in January. Jokanovic believes that the decision will allow clubs to plan for the new season without the distraction of an open window remaining for the entire month of August.

The Serbian said:

I believe it's a good idea. If the Premier League made this step it's logical that the Championship teams do the same thing. At the end I expect we're going to have the same rules as the Premier League teams,

The Fulham boss is also pleased that a change to the current regulations will allow EFL clubs to loan players after the summer transfer window closes for permanent deals.

I believe this loan rule can bring us more players in for pre-season, I believe we can start working with 90 per cent of the team that we are going to start the Championship with and this is great news. If you start pre-season with one team and in second half of pre-season you are with a second and then at the start of the season you have a third and then you finish the month with a fourth this doesn't make any sense. At the end I think this is a very good idea and I support this 100 per cent.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/10/jokanovic-welcomes-transfer-window-move/

WhiteJC

Norwood loving 'wonderful journey' with Northern Ireland
by Dan on October 8, 2017

Fulham's Ollie Norwood has described his international career as 'a wonderful journey' as he prepares to win his 50th cap for Northern Ireland in Oslo this evening.

The former Manchester United trainee was beaming in front of the assembled press pack last season, telling the journalists that he had 'enjoyed every second' of an international career that reached 'unbelievable' highs since his debut, a 2-0 defeat in Montenegro in August 2010, and his first start, which came in a defeat by Italy at the end of the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, that proved to be Nigel Worthington's last game in charge of the national side.

Norwood, who has impressed in his last two outings with Fulham as Slavisa Jokanovic's side recorded two vital away wins before the international break, has become an international regular until Michael O'Neill and was a key performer as Northern Ireland reached the second round of Euro 2016 in France last summer. The midfielder, on loan at Craven Cottage from Brighton, hopes he can celebrate his special night with a win over Fulham team-mate Stefan Johansen and clinch a World Cup play-off place tonight.

He cast his mind back to the first time he pulled on the green and white strip ahead of reaching his international landmark:

I was having a laugh with my friends at the time, saying 'I don't just want to get one cap'. Luckily enough with selection I've managed to stay injury-free. It's been a wonderful journey. I've enjoyed every single second of playing for Northern Ireland.

The team has massively developed in my time. I remember my debut in Montenegro, we weren't really going anywhere. My first competitive start was Italy away and it was Nigel's [Worthington] last game in charge. We got beat 3-0 and there wasn't a great feel around the squad at the time.

What I've experienced in my short international career so far playing in the European Championships can be the pinnacle of any career and I've been lucky enough to be involved in that. It would have never happened if I'd said no to Northern Ireland. If I'm honest, I'd never have played for England in a European Championship. If the opportunity arises for players, and I'm sure there are a few out there, we'd welcome people with open arms.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/10/norwood-loving-wonderful-journey-with-northern-ireland/

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace legend backs Roy Hodgson after success they had at Fulham

Andrew Johnson says he believes Roy Hodgson is the right man for Crystal Palace

Former Crystal Palace striker Andrew Johnson has given his backing to Roy Hodgson and believes he is the man to turn things around this season.

The Eagles currently sit bottom of the Premier League with no points - or goals - from their first seven matches of the campaign.

But Johnson believes that his former boss at Fulham can help the Eagles get out of trouble, with the Palace legend describing him as a proven manager.

Former Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson believes his old boss Roy Hodgson can turn things around for the Eagles. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

And although the Eagles have lost their first three games with Hodgson, Johnson is confident that things will come good for Palace.

"I have worked with Roy [Hodgson] and he is a top class manager," he said.

"I was with him for four years at Fulham and he will get them into the place they need to be. They will do shape every day and he will get them organised.

"They [the players] will know exactly what they are doing on the pitch and he will be very clear, and they will be very hard to beat.

"They [the players] will know exactly what they are doing on the pitch and he will be very clear, and they will be very hard to beat.

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crystal-palace-legend-backs-roy-595975