watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We made it!

Started by mullers, October 11, 2017, 10:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mullers

One hundred and twenty one years on and we've got a game coming up at the Cottage on Saturday.

Sorry to point out the obvious but recent posts concerning the club's history serve as a reminder that nothing is guaranteed, but we're still by the river. Weirdly, the thing that brings all this home to me is the comments about how long the Riverside development is taking to come about. At least we still have the old place to develop!

COYW

hovewhite

RaySmith

Quote from: mullers on October 11, 2017, 10:45:42 AM
One hundred and twenty one years on and we've got a game coming up at the Cottage on Saturday.

Sorry to point out the obvious but recent posts concerning the club's history serve as a reminder that nothing is guaranteed, but we're still by the river. Weirdly, the thing that brings all this home to me is the comments about how long the Riverside development is taking to come about. At least we still have the old place to develop!

COYW
'You lucky people' -Trinder was right!
A lot of water has gone under the bridge since his day, but here we still are -FFC at Craven Cottage, down by the river. 049:gif

Lighthouse

However has having the old unique ground and home actually done us no favours in our progress. As more and more teams move to soulless, yet more comfortable and better laid out grounds. Is nostalgia holding us back?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FFC365

If it's holding us back then so be it, I wouldn't want to watch my football in any other stadium, it's CRAVEN COTTAGE for me, and proud to be in my 60th year of supporting a very special club.

fcfulham55

Likewise, I love our ground. Even though I don't do Home games. Sure, its one of the tiniest grounds in the top 2 divisions. Some people love it some hate it.

if the acoustics got sorted out. And the new stand built, that'll be great. I'll be attending home games again! And for me no other stadium would compare, if the plans turn out to be good. + actually happen, which I'm still doubtful with our current Chairman. He Hasn't delivered the majority he's promised.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

RaySmith

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 11, 2017, 11:34:30 AM
However has having the old unique ground and home actually done us no favours in our progress. As more and more teams move to soulless, yet more comfortable and better laid out grounds. Is nostalgia holding us back?

But we  got into the Prem and remained there  for a number of years, until financial investment in the team  was reduced, with our quaint old ground.

The ground  could actually be seen as a unique selling point, getting punters in, allied to success on the pitch- the main thing to attract the crowds, enabled by financial backing, getting the right players in,  a good manager, and a good set-up and organisation.

filham

I too love the Cottage but if I am honest I have to admit it is creaking a bit at the seams,

It really is time we started to develop a modern stadium with all round joined up stands on the present Riverside site.
The stand on the Stevenage Road would have to incorporate the existing historic façade.

Twig

Quote from: FFC365 on October 11, 2017, 01:00:57 PM
If it's holding us back then so be it, I wouldn't want to watch my football in any other stadium, it's CRAVEN COTTAGE for me, and proud to be in my 60th year of supporting a very special club.

:plus one:

Holders

Much as I love CC, we could have been at Stamford Bridge all that time. We'd have an underground station nearby, plenty of room to expand and by now it'd be just as historic and packed with memories. And there'd never have been a Them.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: filham on October 11, 2017, 06:07:20 PM
I too love the Cottage but if I am honest I have to admit it is creaking a bit at the seams,

It really is time we started to develop a modern stadium with all round joined up stands on the present Riverside site.
The stand on the Stevenage Road would have to incorporate the existing historic façade.

Like the design for the Mobowl did.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Logicalman

Not too certain staying at the Cottage has held us back from much at all.  As mentioned, we managed the top flight for a number of years, and that included the Europa run as well. So we might have sold a few more tickets, but given the pitfalls of teams that expand their grounds just to rarely see them ever full again can be a consequence, it's not as though grounds are maintenance free.

Like others, I grew up at the Cottage, when I return on various trips back home its emotional for me to go and watch games there and long may that continue, as I think if we were to change it, then it might just seem too much like being at an away stadium each time, as I cannot see how we can maintain the Cottage identity whilst effectively gutting the inside to provide a 'better' game experience and pack more people in, or have many, many empty seats more like.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Lighthouse

Interesting comments.  But I must say that our current situation has massively hindered our capacity to expand the fan base. Fans just can't get too or from the ground with any ease due to traffic and the constant public transport problems. The argument that we have been to Europe and spent 13 odd years in the top division rather proves that like most clubs we reached as far as we could go without expansion.

The compensation is walking through Bishops Park. Again it is a unique part of the match day experience.

I understand the fevered reluctance to move from our home. We have been there for a very long time and it is unique. The happiest times I remember in life are walking to the ground and after a poor match walking away.

Interesting that some fans seem to support Craven Cottage more than Fulham. In other words the ground has become that important to them. The identity of the club is the ground more so than the team itself.

Personally it is hard to imagine us being anywhere else. But I thought an interesting debate nonetheless.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope