Author Topic: International football  (Read 555 times)

Offline Dixie

• tjl
Re: International football
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
This is a very interesting discussion...

I have always absolutely loved international football, until quite recently. I get really excited in the lead up to a tournament, get a wall chart of the matches, plan what matches i'm going to watch etc.
That all ended with the last Euros for me.
England have put in abject performances in the past - a particular low point being losing to 10 man Brazil in 2002. But in that game, there was at least some fight and some excitement in the first half.

At the 2016 Euros, there was nothing, in any of the matches. The Iceland game was just the icing on the cake - Sterling boots the ball out of play and leaps over the goalkeeper to get us a totally undeserved penalty and what happened next was simply beyond belief! I was actually praying that we didn't grab an equaliser, we didn't deserve it. Why weren't we just absolutely battering them??? Throwing everyone forward and launching ball after ball into the penalty area? Anything but the turgid pass, pass, kick it out of play which seemed to be the actual gameplan!

The recent qualifiers, I gave up after 10 mins of the first game and didn't even bother with the Lithuania game!

I am really hoping that my excitement is once again piqued by the impending World Cup, but i am not hopeful at the moment
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Offline jarv

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
Nostalgia for international football is not what it used to be. :005:

Totally predictable, seeding (like tennis) determines which teams get a free pass. Why bother with qualifiers.?

The nonsense of it all was summed up last week. To determine the best 8 out of 9 second place teams for play-off games, results against the bottom team in each group will be removed from the equation. So, WHY have those teams in the group in the first place. (Andorra, san Marino, etc).

Have a pre qualifier for the minnows to enter the qualifiers? One problem, that might include my team....Scotland. fp.gif

Offline bog

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 04:37:42 PM »
Nostalgia for international football is not what it used to be. :005:

Totally predictable, seeding (like tennis) determines which teams get a free pass. Why bother with qualifiers.?

The nonsense of it all was summed up last week. To determine the best 8 out of 9 second place teams for play-off games, results against the bottom team in each group will be removed from the equation. So, WHY have those teams in the group in the first place. (Andorra, san Marino, etc).

Have a pre qualifier for the minnows to enter the qualifiers? One problem, that might include my team....Scotland. fp.gif

I agree. I would bracket Gibraltar with that.  It is not being snobby. I recall Jimmy Greaves being interviewed at halftime once when we were playing Andorra.  He said 'Who on earth are this lot? I could get me boots on for them!' and he was rapidly ushered away from the camera.

092.gif

Offline Forever Fulham

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 11:30:08 PM »
At first I was gobsmacked over the USMNT loss to Trinidad and Tobago, but now I'm just sad about it. 

Offline love4ffc

• Global Moderator
  • cebu
  • Ambiguity doesn't mean the end....COYW!!
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:55 PM »
At first I was gobsmacked over the USMNT loss to Trinidad and Tobago, but now I'm just sad about it. 
Exactly.  At least England made it.  Embarrassing that USA can't even qualify. 

Thank God for the Women's national team.  Roll on World Cup 2019 since the men can't get it done. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Offline filham

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
Of course there has to be a place for international football but I am not at all happy with the way it continually interrupts the domestic programme. Could the international Perhaps more of the international friendlies and qualifying matches should be played in the summers when a tournament is not being played.

Offline Grumpy Worthing White

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
I think I may have said this before, pity Internationals can`t just be played mid week, If a player gets injured or suffers from jet lag and misses a game, tough use your reserve players. Rant over. I`m going down the Pub. 092.gif  :beer: