watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Stand New Design Discussion

Started by mrmicawbers, October 12, 2017, 05:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

Agree with both of you.  I am totally underwhelmed and also confused about why the original design concept for the Riverside didn't offer a better way forward.  Count me as confused by Fulham FC.

aaronmcguigan

toshes mate, mine was a derogatory remark. I quite liked the 2017 concept stores Tesco have released

toshes mate

Quote from: Holders on October 13, 2017, 10:52:27 AM
I don't like modern so I don't like the design at all - avant garde designs and styles date so quickly - but aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder and I say "if that's what the owner wants, just get on with it".
+1

Chutney

The new design looks awful, way too modern and doesn't fit in with the rest of the stadium at all. I'd rather we had a more classic design in keeping with our heritage, craven cottage is so unique and it would be a shame to lose that feel.
C O Y W

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on October 13, 2017, 09:59:30 AM
There is no gap at the top of the stand. There will be a screen...possibly glass that separates the seating from the back of the stand. So no wind blowing under the roof and down onto the seats.
But there will have to be access points for safety purposes etc and we all know how draughty it can be when someone forgets to shut the door.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on October 13, 2017, 12:03:54 PM
Quote from: MJG on October 13, 2017, 09:59:30 AM
There is no gap at the top of the stand. There will be a screen...possibly glass that separates the seating from the back of the stand. So no wind blowing under the roof and down onto the seats.
But there will have to be access points for safety purposes etc and we all know how draughty it can be when someone forgets to shut the door.
I get where you are coming from and I asked the question about doors etc. I'd not be surprised if its maybe a two wall type entrance.

The thing is this is just a design, they are finishing off the actual drawings required for planning and this is one subject/comment I have put forward as have others.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Quote from: Newry FFC on October 13, 2017, 11:25:07 AM
toshes mate, mine was a derogatory remark. I quite liked the 2017 concept stores Tesco have released
I took it as derogatory but you meant it not to be?  If so, I am ever more confused, and I totally apologise for my condition.

Roberty

I think it is a far better use of the limited space available

Trying to retain the old Riverside structure created a carbuncle and did not increase the match day circulation area for the extra 4,000 fans they were providing seat for.

By removing the old structure they have been able to substantially increase the match day circulation space and presumably the retail space too.

When I first saw one of the prospective drawings it reminded me very much of the layout at Fenway, where there is a huge amount of circulation and retail space underneath the seating.

In truth the previous design was doing it on the cheap and retaining to old stand compromised the match day experience.

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

SuffolkWhite

I was unsure of the new design but since more pictures have been released of the design the more I like it.

I wonder if the Johnny Haynes had split opinion back in the day, probably. I'm interested how the corners of the ground will work out with the new design as it could affect the acoustics? And whether you will still be able to see the Thames from the Hammy end?  It looks like the view will be blocked.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

dhowells21

Think it looks absolutely amazing. So impressed.

If you look at the old new stand design, it already looks so dated, after what 3/4 years?! So all in all, think it's a great decision to drop that.

Less worried about the new design as don't think it's as "fashionable" a design, and will take the test of time much better. Much more classic design.

G_Gribby

Is there no risk that the sound of the audience will disappear over the river instead of bouncing down the pitch?
The roof appears to be open to the Thames side. Or is it a glass wall between the roof and the stand?

:023:
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

_Putney_

Quote from: G_Gribby on October 13, 2017, 12:47:57 PM
Is there no risk that the sound of the audience will disappear over the river instead of bouncing down the pitch?
The roof appears to be open to the Thames side. Or is it a glass wall between the roof and the stand?

Riverside stand is dead quiet anyway, so no sound to lose! hehe

I believe there is a glass wall, not sure

_Putney_

The new design retains the charm and uniqueness of the ground by incorporating staggered sections along the river.  Rather than a bland modern stadium facade, we will now have a reflective and textured shell.  The new roof looks stunning with the wood-like material. 

bill taylors apprentice

No problems regards the new design from what can be gleaned so far.

My only issue is it doesn't look like it will help generate noise within the stadium?

Holders

Quote from: _Putney_ on October 13, 2017, 12:52:20 PM

Not a glass ceiling?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

flyingfish

I can assure you, knowing a thing or two about buildings, this is not the cheap option.

Roberty

Quote from: flyingfish on October 13, 2017, 01:14:04 PM
I can assure you, knowing a thing or two about buildings, this is not the cheap option.

So more expensive that the old design?
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

west kowloon white

At least it's different perhaps iconic.As I have been told many times on here that it will never be built not too fussed either way.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on October 13, 2017, 01:08:17 PM
Quote from: _Putney_ on October 13, 2017, 12:52:20 PM

Not a glass ceiling?

It's a glass half empty !
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

flyingfish

Quote from: Roberty on October 13, 2017, 01:29:35 PM
Quote from: flyingfish on October 13, 2017, 01:14:04 PM

So more expensive that the old design?

Undoubtedly. The engineering works associated with the massive basement will be huge.