more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Stand New Design Discussion

Started by mrmicawbers, October 12, 2017, 05:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SG

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on October 12, 2017, 10:22:43 PM
I really don't like the design. Much prefer the old look(old new stand design). The roof looks like a pagoda, and I love pagodas and have been to visit many but I wouldn't put one next to the cottage or JH. Hopefully it grows on me. I may have to sit in it so I can't see it.
I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the design. The riverside view looks like a load of shipping containers on the dockside. Disjointed design and ugly in my opinion.

Twig

Quote from: MJG on October 12, 2017, 09:00:34 PM
Quote from: Samjack on October 12, 2017, 08:47:34 PM
I like the design but isn't anyone else concerned about the proposed 9 flats? I hate the idea of selling off parts of our ground for private property. That just doesn't feel right.
they will only be for rent

Even if they are for leasehold this is still a small development of residential apartments and when Khan sells the club who knows where this will end up.  I have to say I don't like any residential development in Craven Cottage no matter how modest.  There is far too much bad history.

fcfulham55

It looks like the back of the stand has a horrid gaping hole at the back. (Same as the hammersmith) So more noise can escape the ground.  (Not that noise will be made in this stand)

I really prefer the first design, such a shame. Because it could've already been here by now.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Fernhurst

By the look of that first pic.... I might still be able to crawl along the branch and drop into the bogs!!

Seriously, love the new design and would much rather spend my money in a restaurant in the ground than outside.
Compared this design with the Hetherwick concept ant thought their's  already feels kinda dated...... This will be iconic for London whereas the previous layout would have been decent for the Football Club only.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Woolly Mammoth

Very dissapointed with the design, yes it does look like a pile of shipping containers stacked up on the river side.
It looks to me that Mr O'Reilly from Faulty Towers has had a hand in designing this.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: SG on October 12, 2017, 10:42:14 PM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on October 12, 2017, 10:22:43 PM
I really don't like the design. Much prefer the old look(old new stand design). The roof looks like a pagoda, and I love pagodas and have been to visit many but I wouldn't put one next to the cottage or JH. Hopefully it grows on me. I may have to sit in it so I can't see it.
I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the design. The riverside view looks like a load of shipping containers on the dockside. Disjointed design and ugly in my opinion.

Strange they would take a design I think was almost universally liked, changed it (I agree with making it more productive) and making an unattractive stand and by all accounts one with less capacity. I can't quite think of anything that would look less at place with our lovely ground. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all but I flat out don't like it. The riverside facing portion looks like badly stacked boxes. So much for following the contours of the river. Yes the over the top roof may but the half finished game of jenga it sits on doesn't.

WokinghamWhite

Where do existing season ticket holders in the Riverside sit during the redevelopment?

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: WokinghamWhite on October 12, 2017, 11:46:10 PM
Where do existing season ticket holders in the Riverside sit during the redevelopment?

There will obviously be reduced attendances but season ticket holders will surely have first dibs on whatever seat they want as long as it hasn't already been taken. The people who suffer the most are going to be riverside season ticket holders. If I was being cheeky I'd say you never made any noise so no point starting now. But I would never say that. ;)

hovewhite

Prefer the origanol design myself .

HillingdonFFC

Wasn't sold at first but the more I look the more I think it looks stunning. People are commenting on the glass, the owner wanted something that doesnt look like a football stand. If you look at a lot the recently built developments all along the riverside, they're predominantly glass.
You need contrasts, a riverside Stevenage Road facade pastiche wouldnt have worked & as much as I liked the original plans thet would've made it very hard to do something at either end that didnt look out of place with the way that stand tapered down in the corners. Also the top tier seats were planned to be very short on legroom to fit them in.
Think the roof terrace in the new plans looks fantastic, not sure about winter though

Riversider

Another one unimpressed by the new design and another one that agrees it looks like we've got a pile of shipping containers that need taking away,
Much preferred the previous design and wouldn't be at all surprised to see objections being raised as to the appearance from the river.

G_Gribby

Why late 2018?
Why not mid 2018 after the last match?
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

SG

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on October 13, 2017, 12:06:49 AM
Quote from: WokinghamWhite on October 12, 2017, 11:46:10 PM

There will obviously be reduced attendances but season ticket holders will surely have first dibs on whatever seat they want as long as it hasn't already been taken. The people who suffer the most are going to be riverside season ticket holders. If I was being cheeky I'd say you never made any noise so no point starting now. But I would never say that. ;)

This old chestnut. There are plenty of us in the Riverside who have had our time congregating around the green pole in years gone by, travelling up and down the country to cheer the team on and now being just a little older are more content with supporting the team in a less exuberant way. My passion and excitement is undiminished after 60 years of supporting the whites. Unfortunately the body is less able to follow suit.

BedsFFC

I see many of the Nattering nabobs of negativism, who, just over a week ago were saying that the new stand will never happen are now sharing their expert critique of architectural design.

"It will never happen" "It looks crap"

MJG

Quote from: G_Gribby on October 13, 2017, 07:48:09 AM
Why late 2018?
Why not mid 2018 after the last match?
We still have to get planning permission. The plans go in on 24th Nov and next planning meetings are Feb and March.
By time we get result I suspect logistically its not possible to get everything required for a start in last week or two of May (in case we make playoffs).
They would be able to do some work but the major demolition of the old stand would need to be during a close season.
With ST's due in April for renewal you then have the logtics of sorting all of that part out for those in the riverside.

So it makes sense to knock down summer of 2019 and then have two seasons of reduced capacity while they get on with it.

Like many I just want it or something built. They now have a design that everyone is happy with and personally didn't like the build round of the old stand plan.
Just the views of a long term fan

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: BedsFFC on October 13, 2017, 08:05:41 AM
I see many of the Nattering nabobs of negativism, who, just over a week ago were saying that the new stand will never happen are now sharing their expert critique of architectural design.

I've never said it won't happen. Please show where I have been negative regarding the riverside before not liking the new design. Am I not allowed to say how I feel about the design without doing 7 years studying architecture? I'm guessing only fashion designers should comment on the kit each year?

Fernhurst

Hillingdon fc said "4Wasn't sold at first but the more I look the more I think it looks stunning".

Stunning is the word and a considerably more expensive build cost to the previous wrap around tin effort.

All our young supporters really are "Lucky People" enjoying the new stand far into the future whereas The Old Sods Army just wants to see it and sit in it.

There for opening of The Riverside against Benfica desperate to be there for the opening of The Thameside against....... Barcelona ????

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

BedsFFC

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on October 13, 2017, 08:30:06 AM
Quote from: BedsFFC on October 13, 2017, 08:05:41 AM

I've never said it won't happen. Please show where I have been negative regarding the riverside before not liking the new design. Am I not allowed to say how I feel about the design without doing 7 years studying architecture? I'm guessing only fashion designers should comment on the kit each year?

I think I may be able to clear this one up.

My architecture comment was entirely tongue in cheek. Having any sort of expertise in buildings would immediately put you outside of my target market.

Put another way, I wasn't aiming it at you. And even if I was (which I wasn't) nobody should take me too seriously on here anyway. I come in peace man

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Riversider on October 13, 2017, 07:47:39 AM
Another one unimpressed by the new design and another one that agrees it looks like we've got a pile of shipping containers that need taking away,
Much preferred the previous design and wouldn't be at all surprised to see objections being raised as to the appearance from the river.

Appearance from the river?? It looks like luxury apartments from the river & they're all the way up & down it

Woolly Mammoth

Has anyone asked Mr O'Reilly why he designed it this way ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.