watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Stand New Design Discussion

Started by mrmicawbers, October 12, 2017, 05:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southdowns White

I think the design fits in with the current trend of buildings along the Thames, how well it will date will only be see with time, what you have to remember is it needs to maximise income every day of the year otherwise you may as well stick with what we have now. As someone who has been coming to the Cottage for 43 years now I have plenty of experience with the weather at the ground and how exposed it is, they will have to block in the gaps at the top of the stand, can you imagine on a cold, windy, rainy afternoon or evening with the weather coming in from the west as it usually does, everyone will be soaked through and frozen. Sometimes the rain blows right across the hammersmith stand and even where i sit in row EE you can feel the rain, even when it's not that cold the wind can leave you very cold as it blows across.   

SuffolkWhite

I liked the old design and I like this one more so now I have seen the pictures on this thread. And yes from the outside it does not look like a football ground but from the inside it does. Getting excited about this now, and can't believe Khan would go to this amount of work to not go ahead.

My two penny's anyway.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

SuffolkWhite

Also, wouldn't mind the window cleaning contract for the new stand!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Take Me Home MAF

I'm thrilled with the design of the new stand, and I think its exactly what is required.

I remember when the previous design was revealed and at the time I loved it. Then over the years it started to age, badly in my opinion. Such an great opportunity to push the envelope had been wasted.

Especially in the last 5 years, stadium design has changed and is much more about its aesthetics inside and out, alongside its use on non match days. Essentially the old design we had became dated very quickly. If you look at new stadiums being designed recently such as Chelseas, Tottenhams they are a far cry from the Madejski, St Marys, Cardiff City Stadium which all popped up in the late 90's-00's and all look the same. Tottenham actually did a similar thing to us and scrapped their design from 2009 as it was dated by the time it took to get around to building it.

There is now a desire to have something unique and something iconic. It is never as much fun seeing the game at soulless bowl, which has been built probably to much excitement by the fans of the club, only to realise that in reality it has no character. There are loads of these grounds around the country.

I think even more so with our ground being so unique there was a need so something which is iconic, but subtly. And in doing so not overshadowing The Cottage or The Johnny Haynes Stand. In my opinion they have nailed it and I really hope it gets built.

toshes mate

I am not really impressed or unimpressed with the new design.  The initial design concept seemed more concerned with developing a football stadium whereas the new concept clearly demarcates and concerns itself the broader ideas of non-match day facilities.  The proof of the pudding will come whenever the project is completed.  The original design concept gave a clearer idea how the stadium would look when built whereas the new design seems slightly ambiguous in that regard which may simply be that some details have yet to be decided upon.

I am pleased to see there is some kind of timeline now given as part of the package however tenuous it may prove to be.  Overall I remain indifferent to the whole project, unexcited and a little concerned and worried that atmosphere, one of the prime functions of a sport's entertainment venue, may once again have been forgotten about or lost among so many other considerations.  But what do I know about designing a stadium stand? Absolutely nothing.   

MJG

Quote from: Southdowns White on October 13, 2017, 09:40:02 AM
I think the design fits in with the current trend of buildings along the Thames, how well it will date will only be see with time, what you have to remember is it needs to maximise income every day of the year otherwise you may as well stick with what we have now. As someone who has been coming to the Cottage for 43 years now I have plenty of experience with the weather at the ground and how exposed it is, they will have to block in the gaps at the top of the stand, can you imagine on a cold, windy, rainy afternoon or evening with the weather coming in from the west as it usually does, everyone will be soaked through and frozen. Sometimes the rain blows right across the hammersmith stand and even where i sit in row EE you can feel the rain, even when it's not that cold the wind can leave you very cold as it blows across.
There is no gap at the top of the stand. There will be a screen...possibly glass that separates the seating from the back of the stand. So no wind blowing under the roof and down onto the seats.
Just the views of a long term fan

St. Andrews White

Personally much prefer this to the last one, though the Wembley style arch would've been nice. Would love to have a drink and look out over the Thames, and really is going to maximise non match day revenue. Can't see what's not to like!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate link=topic=62078.
But what do I know about designing a stadium stand? Absolutely nothing.   
/quote]

Neither did Mr O'Reilly, and he appears to have had a hand in the design.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rweller86

Where will the dugouts be during construction? Will they remain that same side in front of the construction?
@rweller

MJG

Quote from: rweller86 on October 13, 2017, 10:32:14 AM
Where will the dugouts be during construction? Will they remain that same side in front of the construction?
Not sure even thought about that at this stage. If safe then I'd expect them over that side.

rweller86

Quote from: MJG on October 13, 2017, 10:34:46 AM
Not sure even thought about that at this stage. If safe then I'd expect them over that side.
Not sure there is enough room anywhere else that is suitable.
@rweller

Woolly Mammoth

Yes you make some good points. Especially about the soulless Bowls that have been created in modern times, they may look nice in their own way, and have good facilities, but can look too similiar.
So as you say, originality is the order of the day, to keep our identity as a unique club.
My only scepticism is Mr O'Reillys contribution.
But apart from that, we will have to see how it all pans out. It's certainly a vast improvement on the first Stand they built in 1879. 

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: rweller86 on October 13, 2017, 10:35:43 AM
They could reconfigure in front of JH stand, might lose some seats if needed. Small detail really.

Actually I'm surprised they have not put the dressing rooms etc into the new stand. Modern facilities for the teams.
But tbf they might change their mind and do that.

rweller86

Quote from: MJG on October 13, 2017, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: rweller86 on October 13, 2017, 10:35:43 AM
They could reconfigure in front of JH stand, might lose some seats if needed. Small detail really.

Actually I'm surprised they have not put the dressing rooms etc into the new stand. Modern facilities for the teams.
But tbf they might change their mind and do that.
Good shout, the Cottage is tiny - but also iconic. Also, TV cameras will struggle.
@rweller

filham

In five years time when the latest plans for the new stand are announced no doubt they will make today's plans look dated.

Holders

I don't like modern so I don't like the design at all - avant garde designs and styles date so quickly - but aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder and I say "if that's what the owner wants, just get on with it".

I took a trip down the river in Copenhagen last year and the commentary raved on about the design of some building that had won all kinds of architectural awards. It looked hideous to me but I suppose you can used to anything. Who knows, maybe people will just love this and keep going on about it and bring publicity to CC.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Adam87

I just managed to see the pictures this morning and compared to the other design as many people are saying..i am very underwhelmed. I dont like the mini tier at the bottom and the large tier at the top or the design of the roof. The more i compare it to the old design (which had been incredibly excites), the more i feel the club are taking the cheap option. I find it very uninspiring and the majority of feedback i have been getting has been disappointing.

From the river the stand looks ok, it does look a bit different which is fine but then again so did the old design. I guess this is the more realistic option for the club if they are going to do anything. I can only hope they reconsider the design for the stand because this isnt what i hoped for or expected. Very disappointing.

aaronmcguigan

I know nothing about contemporary designs or anything but from the outside, it looks like the external design of a new Tesco Extra

toshes mate

Quote from: filham on October 13, 2017, 10:50:38 AM
In five years time when the latest plans for the new stand are announced no doubt they will make today's plans look dated.
You echo my thoughts entirely.  The new stand design has not caught my attention in the way the first update to the Riverside did.  The new design I would describe as anaemic and likely to get much sicker with age.  As for the soulless bowls many were built to accommodate more than one activity and whilst they may lack originality do the job of housing spectators.  They suffer, more often than not, from not being full. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on October 13, 2017, 11:13:50 AM
Quote from: filham on October 13, 2017, 10:50:38 AM
You echo my thoughts entirely.  The new stand design has not caught my attention in the way the first update to the Riverside did.  The new design I would describe as anaemic and likely to get much sicker with age.  As for the soulless bowls many were built to accommodate more than one activity and whilst they may lack originality do the job of housing spectators.  They suffer, more often than not, from not being full. 

Yes indeed they do, and as somebody mentioned on another thread, apart from the unfortunate contributions fron Mr O'Reilly, the new design looks cheap and cheerful.

Never forget your Roots.