watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Norwood miss !

Started by Riversider, October 15, 2017, 11:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Not seen this mentioned yet on any forum, but how the hell did Norwood miss on 88 minutes ?
If he had gone in with his head he had to score, looked a terrible miss from Block S, that would have been 2-2 with 5 additional minutes still to come,
Anybody else have a different view/opinion of it ?

ffc73

Poor miss.  Head, left foot, any part of his body other than his right foot that he went with.  Another player to lack confidence and/or ability in their standing foot.

To be fair to him though.  He made the run.  Fonte, Ayite and Mollo were all static on the 18 yard line

MrD1879

Massively dissapointed in him yesterday. Caught in possession several times in key parts of the pitch and backed out of lots of 50 /50 challenges. Although he showed great composure with the penalty I felt he should have been hooked and not Stef jo

Jem

He scored a penalty - he walks on water
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Fulham 442

Agree with Mr D re Norwood, but then he wouldn't have been on the pitch to score the penalty, which he took really well!   That miss on 88  minutes could have been very costly as we wouldn't have necessarily have got the same situation at the end with their goalie making a complete hash, despite having a great game up until then.  Thought Odoi took his shot really well as he had a split second to make it and any other angle and their defender would probably have made the clearance.  I've watched the highlights as I was sure their first goal was offside from where I was in the Hammy End, but couldn't see from those. GJ and Jamie certainly didn't make any comment.

filham

Quote from: Jem on October 15, 2017, 01:46:06 PM
He scored a penalty - he walks on water
Just think how we will view him if he gets another.
Anyone else remember after the last penalty miss by Fonte that Jocanovic said that Fonte will be taking the next one, glad the coach changed his mind.

Robbie

He scored the penalty!  Without that we would have lost!

davew

How much did Fonte cost, I have forgotten and was he signed as a striker, again I have forgotten? I do remember though that he is not bad at corners (taking them...not being in the box to attack them), no good at penalties or he would have taken the 1 yesterday! All in all a good buy then was he or could the money have been spent elsewhere? Sorry to return to a subject which has been discussed so many times on here, but FFC are still in need of a quality or even part quality striker. How we are now 4th favourites to win promotion, I have no idea?????
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Riversider

Quote from: davew on October 15, 2017, 09:28:41 PM
How much did Fonte cost, I have forgotten and was he signed as a striker, again I have forgotten? I do remember though that he is not bad at corners (taking them...not being in the box to attack them), no good at penalties or he would have taken the 1 yesterday! All in all a good buy then was he or could the money have been spent elsewhere? Sorry to return to a subject which has been discussed so many times on here, but FFC are still in need of a quality or even part quality striker. How we are now 4th favourites to win promotion, I have no idea?????

What has any of that got to do with the Norwood miss on 88 minutes ?

The Old Count

It wasn't that bad a miss given the run he had to make.  Also he wasn't at fault for the first goal - we were under pressure due to Button rolling the ball out short when Preston were closing down all of our players.
He scored the penalty and generaly played well.

Marinelloguthrie

To be fair to him, he obviously knew he wasn't having a great game so showed alot of character to take it and score..

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Maybe he bottled it a bit, perhaps understandably
If he had of headed it he may have felt his head could have smashed into the post.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

toshes mate

I actually thought Fonte's missed header in the first half was marginally harder to do than Norwood's almost last gasp attempt.  Norwood obviously made an impact on the Preston keeper without actually touching him or the ball and that may have contributed to the later spilling of the ball by Maxwell to Odoi.  There did seem to be quite a debate about who was going to take the penalty and I am pleased Norwood won.  Will he take the next one?  Who knows?

MrD1879

Even if he didn't go for it with his head he should have used his left foot correct me if I'm wrong but he went for it with the outside of his right boot? I've noticed alot that he would rather use the outside of his right then his left foot.

davew

Quote from: Riversider on October 15, 2017, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: davew on October 15, 2017, 09:28:41 PM

What has any of that got to do with the Norwood miss on 88 minutes ?
Good point (lol), not a lot really, except I don't expect too much from Norwood but I do from our "new striker" who I find just as frustrating, in fact more so than Norwood. Looks like I am not the only one who has mentioned Fonte under this thread, even if it is off topic (agreed)!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

colinwhite

If he goes with his head he scores. many players are unwilling to head the ball these days ,the art of the diving header seemt have disappeared from the game !

RaySmith

A cliché I know - but its so easy for us to criticise fro the stands - something that happened in the heat of the moment,  not even about making a decision, no time, just acting instinctively.

I'm sure Norwood  has replayed that moment many times in his mind, and  wondered why he failed to convert that chance, and beat himself up about it. He will know that as a highly paid pro he  should have scored.

I bet he's relieved he converted that pen.

ffc73

He said: "I missed a sitter, completely missed the ball and misjudged it and I should've scored to put it 2-2 and Denis got me off the hook"

The Old Count

Norwood - I feel another scapegoat coming on. 

Stoneleigh Loyalist

It is a simple fact that had Norwood scored, the opportunity for Odoi to score in the last seconds would not have occurred

Preston were so shattered we may have had other chances in those final minutes, but then Preston could have broken away and scored a winner!

We lost our opportunity to win that game with our misses in the first fifteen minutes.