watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

TC `s knee injury...

Started by colinwhite, October 16, 2017, 11:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

Im not a physiotherapist or qualified in any way to judge an injury. I am speculating purely on how i have seen players move with the type of injury Tom seems to have. It looks  from what i have read from him on twitter etc like `jumpers knee`. This is a chronic inflamation of the tendon at the front of the knee which causes pain on bending and flexing the leg. Its an overuse injury and chronic so probably difficult to get rid of. It feels ok when intially warmed up but gets sorer and stiffer over time. Dont know for sure if this is what the problem is but looking at his restricted movement and body  language when he came on on saturday ,it could well be.
He is massively important to the team,and constantly gives players around him more time on the ball as well as making his own important passes. He always has a solution to pressure put on him ,which makes him the out ball for almost all the other players, making it much easier for us to retain possession of the ball. He has lots of other attributes too, but the major thing we miss when he doesnt play is  the confidence to invite pressure on to us.

hovewhite

We need an alternitive,hindsight wise ,we maybe should have sold him and got the money as knee injuries ,there dodgy ,know that from personal expierence!

PokerMatt

Isn't this what we got sued for when we didn't sign John Carew? Failed a medical and then Tigana and MAF had some gigantic falling out.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

BestOfBrede

If we had sold him there's no way we would have made a comeback on Saturday, no way whatsoever!
I know what you are saying re taking the money, but I think we would struggle to get anywhere near as instrumental a player as Tom!

PokerMatt

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 16, 2017, 07:00:31 PM
If we had sold him there's no way we would have made a comeback on Saturday, no way whatsoever!
I know what you are saying re taking the money, but I think we would struggle to get anywhere near as instrumental a player as Tom!

This is right.

Half time I said what we need is someone who wants the ball surrounded by players in the middle, because Norwood and Johansen weren't cutting it. TC was the link as he dropped right into the space created by their high press until they were forced back into their own half. We were not getting a point if he'd stayed on the bench.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

colinwhite

Most sides dont think its even worth pressing Tc .He always seems to have the solution and all the time he needs however agressive opponents are. This gives all his team mates extra time. If we can get him fit we are going to win this League.

Fernhurst

The remedy for this knee injury seems a bit "old school " as Tom has explained it involves spending loads of time chilling with bag of frozen peas on the affected area.
Maybe Tom should get some Cheese in!!

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Southcoastffc

I've had jumpers knee aka Patella Tendonitis and it's difficult for me to believe that this is what he has. When I had it, my GP's approach was to rest the knee as much as poss and to strengthen the thigh muscles so as to ease the stress on the knee.  TC's comments suggest that diagnosis of whatever the problem is is still unclear ('I keep hoping it will magically disappear') Maybe he has a far more severe case of it than I can imagine.

I do think that as he gets older he will have mobility problems.  Look at the way he walks. One leg going north, the other south.  That distorts the whole body posture and suggests increasing difficulty in the future.  Probably too late in his life to do anything about it now.

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

Sounds asif the outlook is grim for both Tom and Fulham . Perhaps the best we can hope for is a 75% fit player on the field for no more than half the game.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on October 16, 2017, 09:54:06 PM

An instrumental player... who may well struggle to play 2,000 minutes this season

Or we could have sold him for £20m and bought Gayle and Jota

With those two we probably would have won 3-0 on Saturday and not needed a comeback

Jota has played twice since the move. i believe he may be injured too so we would actually be worse off.

flyingfish

Where's Felix magath when we need him?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: flyingfish on October 16, 2017, 10:08:29 PM
Where's Felix magath when we need him?

Marooned on a deserted island by public demand.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on October 16, 2017, 11:02:11 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on October 16, 2017, 10:06:18 PM
Quote from: Statto on October 16, 2017, 09:54:06 PM

An instrumental player... who may well struggle to play 2,000 minutes this season

Or we could have sold him for £20m and bought Gayle and Jota

With those two we probably would have won 3-0 on Saturday and not needed a comeback

Jota has played twice since the move. i believe he may be injured too so we would actually be worse off.

Worse off with Gayle?
(In any case jota is back this weekend)

Cairney is back to so I don't see a Jota being a better replacement (I'd absolutely have taken him at 6m though anyway as a extra player to have some first 11 competition to the three musketeers) Gayle is a decent striker who would score us goals but I think he's create a problem for us next summer when we would look to unload him should we have got promotion. Cairney on the other hand is good enough to lead us in the prem and the side should be built around him for the future. Even at 75% he was clearly the best player on the pitch.

toshes mate

Cairney is a key Fulham player who has a problem with his right knee.  He played for fifty odd minutes on Saturday and to my eyes at least didn't look comfortable.  We can throw what might have been's around forever without moving forward a millimetre.  The problem as I see it is similar to the Martin situation last season.  We played Martin at somewhere between 50 and 100% 'commitment' and made it work because of the style we played and  the sustained ability of the players around him.  Can you make a similar case for Cairney knowing his movement is restricted and may be causing more damage to his knee, or should we be looking for alternatives in the meantime?  I actually thought our performance on Saturday was one of our least noteworthy ones overall.  We did create chances as often as the opposition did but overall I thought we were far too easily taken apart defensively and that is because of failing to put away chances a feature of this season - I believe we have hit the woodwork more times than any other Championship team.

Southcoastffc

Unfortunately,IMO, to say that 'Cairney is back' seems to be something of an exaggeration. From what I've seen, heard and read he's on thin ice re his injury. 😠
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Chutney

So nobody knows the issue but his knee hurts.... This isn't good.
C O Y W

Berserker

Definitely need a good back up in Jan wi dow. Does 't look like he is going to be 100% fit for a long time

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Berserker on October 17, 2017, 09:34:26 AM
Definitely need a good back up in Jan wi dow. Does 't look like he is going to be 100% fit for a long time

ANd there's the rub. Many, me included thought Norwood was the back up for TC. So far the best I can say is that the jury's out. But IF TC does not recover fully (or as fully as any player does in a busy seasonn, which is a story in itself) we could well be in trouble. Or at least need a tactical rethink with a different kind of midfield.

Chesh

Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 17, 2017, 10:37:08 AM
Quote from: Berserker on October 17, 2017, 09:34:26 AM

ANd there's the rub. Many, me included thought Norwood was the back up for TC. So far the best I can say is that the jury's out. But IF TC does not recover fully (or as fully as any player does in a busy seasonn, which is a story in itself) we could well be in trouble. Or at least need a tactical rethink with a different kind of midfield.
IMHO, Norwood is an adequate replacement for Cairney, and I can't think of anyone else (who is available) who can replicate the things that Cairney does.

It's not fair to expect him to be exactly the same, but he is fast becoming an integral part of the team, and maybe the team as a whole need to adapt better to Cairney's absence.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Huxley