https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

TC `s knee injury...

Started by colinwhite, October 16, 2017, 11:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 17, 2017, 10:37:08 AM
Quote from: Berserker on October 17, 2017, 09:34:26 AM
Definitely need a good back up in Jan wi dow. Does 't look like he is going to be 100% fit for a long time

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ANd there's the rub. Many, me included thought Norwood was the back up for TC. So far the best I can say is that the jury's out. But IF TC does not recover fully (or as fully as any player does in a busy seasonn, which is a story in itself) we could well be in trouble. Or at least need a tactical rethink with a different kind of midfield.

In modest defense of Norwood, he wasn't signed to be an every-match starter and creative hub.

Cairney's knee is putting us in a very uncomfortable spot. There doesn't seem to be much certainty that he will be fully healthy anytime soon, or that he won't see it flare up again after that. So what do you do in January if you're hanging around the top-6?

Riversider

Quote from: Berserker on October 17, 2017, 09:34:26 AM
Definitely need a good back up in Jan wi dow. Does 't look like he is going to be 100% fit for a long time

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Luke Freeman from QPHahahahaha

filham

Come the January window we will have a much better idea of the state of Cairney and we should start preparing ourselves now for a  bad diagnoses, it could well be that in our priority could become a new playmaker.

Sessegnon is a skillful young player who is not performing too well in the left back role, Odoi would probably do a better job there right now.
We should start grooming Sess. for the playmaker role

Chesh

On a positive note, TC appeared to be taking part in full training today - at least according to the dugout footage posted just now....
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Tabby

Quote from: filham on October 17, 2017, 05:46:07 PM
Come the January window we will have a much better idea of the state of Cairney and we should start preparing ourselves now for a  bad diagnoses, it could well be that in our priority could become a new playmaker.

Sessegnon is a skillful young player who is not performing too well in the left back role, Odoi would probably do a better job there right now.
We should start grooming Sess. for the playmaker role

The main problems that Sess have are the things you'd need to replace Cairney. Sess is good at running, dribbling and shooting. He is mediocre at best at passing, and his short passes often leave a lot to be desired. He wouldn't have the space to start his runs in the middle.

I'd rather throw in Edun or O'Riley if we were to play youngsters instead.

Marinelloguthrie

Unfortunately for us I think Piazon could do the job but obviously that can't happen at the moment..

To expect to have a ready made replacement for him of his quality and importance to the team sitting on the bench is unrealistic.

Norwood is a decent player who I thought has done well so far especially last few games. He is not Cairney and it is unfair to expect him to be but he can still have a positive function in the team.

If Piazon was fit I wouldn't be against him starting at home and Norwood away but neither are Cairney.

hovewhite

Give oriley a half and TC a half as if norwood is pressed he isnt calm enough,but who would be as TC seems to make time for himself.

One Martin Thomas

I am not sure he should be risked in the next 4 matches and see what happens after international break. I would take 7 or 8 from next 12 points. We should not need TC for that.

toshes mate

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on October 18, 2017, 08:51:43 PM
Unfortunately for us I think Piazon could do the job but obviously that can't happen at the moment..
To expect to have a ready made replacement for [TC] of his quality and importance to the team sitting on the bench is unrealistic.
Agree with that on both counts.  Piazon's movement is super tuned to finding space or drawing defenders away and he is difficult to track/mark because of that.  I think as a team we are still missing the close knit artistry and interplay of last season via players absent via injury or having been sold on.  Norwood has done okay in my books and would benefit from better understanding with others in the side providing support and movement around him but we know how long it takes for people to gel.  It takes time for everyone to get to know how the team plays in the best of circumstances and so what we are seeing now is in part misfortune and in part self-inflicted damage.   But it will get better and it would be wise, IMO, to not rush TC back into the fray since we need him to be 100% okay (or as close as he can get).   

Southcoastffc

"and they still don't seem to have diagnosed his problem or know the long-term implications " simply endorses what TC himself said a couple of weeks ago.  Worrying.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

I believe we may have to come to terms with the fact that Tom Cairney will not be playing a full 90 Mins if he plays at all, until this knee issue is resolved, assuming it can be.
Rest is sometimes the best cure for certain knee problems, and currently it appears that for the time being this problem will be ongoing, which could be damaged permanently if he takes a heavy impact injury in the wrong place, or tears a ligament on a weakened knee.
A lot of knee problems will not go away without a period of genuine rest.
Cortisone Injections will Help see him through matches. But it will only treat the symptoms, it will not cure the ailment.
Therefore, we may have to come to terms with the fact that we may not have the services of TC too often before the new year, if at all.
I hope I have misjudged the state of the injury, but I doubt it unfortunately.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

SJ has explicitly stated what we have all gleaned from and /or known about for a while given TC's absences.  The key line in the official statement is, for me, the following -  "It's a really important match in front of us and after this game we are going to think about him and how he can help us in the 33 matches after Villa." since we are given an idea of the state of 'cover needed' for TC's role in the side both for tomorrow and the rest of the season.  If TC hasn't suffered adverse reaction after last Saturday then a repeat appearance tomorrow could be more good news.

The dilemma seems to me that 'rest' hasn't improved matters in the expected way but training and fitness are nudging TC's confidence in the right direction.  There is always an acute awareness of how setbacks happen in sport and crossing certain thresholds are always be riskier than others given the nature of competitive action in a game.  TC may still feel reluctant to try certain things on the pitch and that seems pretty understandable for anybody who has suffered a serious injury.  All in all I think the Club are doing the best they can to get TC back into optimum condition without undue risk which is good news for everybody.  Even if you start a game 100% fit that is not a guarantee you'll finish it in the same condition and so some risks are worth taking.

Darkside

Quote from: toshes mate on October 20, 2017, 04:55:46 AM

The dilemma seems to me that 'rest' hasn't improved matters in the expected way but training and fitness are nudging TC's confidence in the right direction.  There is always an acute awareness of how setbacks happen in sport and crossing certain thresholds are always be riskier than others given the nature of competitive action in a game.  TC may still feel reluctant to try certain things on the pitch and that seems pretty understandable for anybody who has suffered a serious injury.  All in all I think the Club are doing the best they can to get TC back into optimum condition without undue risk which is good news for everybody.  Even if you start a game 100% fit that is not a guarantee you'll finish it in the same condition and so some risks are worth taking.

Agreed that starting TC while not definitely 100% will always be a risk, and hopefully he will get his fitness up soon.
In the meantime we have Johansen and KMac holding midfield. Norwood has shown a few flashes so far.

Or were we really a 1-man team last season ?

Jonaldiniho 88

I imagine we will be without johanson for a few weeks.

grandad

Regretfully whenever TC plays he will be targeted for some rough treatment.
Where there's a will there's a wife