more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (18/10/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 18, 2017, 07:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Oliver Norwood stakes claim to be Fulham's first choice penalty taker

The Northern Irishman staked his claim to be first choice penalty taker after slotting home against Preston

Oliver Norwood has staked his claim to be Fulham's first choice penalty taker but has insisted it's down to Slavisa Jokanovic on who gets the spot kicks.

The Northern Irishman coolly slotted a penalty away against Preston, showing he has no time for the Fulham penalty curse which struck down Rui Fonte when he blazed over at QPR - a penalty Norwood was eager to take himself.

The one against Preston started a spirited comeback and was well taken, but instead of being happy with a goal from the spot Norwood was disappointed with other chances he missed that were perhaps easier than scoring from 12-yards out.

He said: "I wanted to take the one at QPR, the gaffer is the one who decides who takes it and he told me to take the ball and take the penalty so I'm happy that I've scored.

"But I regret the one I missed at the back post where I misjudged the ball and I should've scored which would've been more important."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oliver-norwood-stakes-claim-fulhams-13771789

WhiteJC

December Home Games On Sale

Season Ticket Holders and Members are now able to purchase tickets to Fulham's home fixtures this December.

The Whites take on Birmingham City on Saturday 9th December, 3pm with tickets starting from £30 for adults and £15 for juniors.

Then enjoy Christmas at the Cottage as Fulham welcome Barnsley to SW6 on Saturday 23rd December, 3pm.
Tickets for this match start from just £20 for adults and £10 for juniors.

Match Tickets for both games will then go on General Sale to supporters the following week, on Monday 23rd October.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/october/16/december-home-games-on-sale

WhiteJC

WIN Charlton Athletic vs Fulham Checkatrade Trophy tickets - here

Why not win yourself four tickets? There's a chance for five lucky people to do just that for Charlton Athletic U23s vs Fulham U23s

Kent Live has teamed up with Checkatrade, official title sponsor of the Checkatrade Trophy, to offer five lucky fans the chance to win four tickets to Charlton Athletic v Fulham U23s on Wednesday November 1.

Karl Robinson's side welcome Fulham U23s to The Valley for a Checkatrade Trophy Group Stage encounter.

The Addicks will be looking for a strong performance and all three points against their fellow Londoners and you could be there to watch all the action LIVE....

For your chance to win, just answer the following question and tweet @kentlivesport before midday on Friday, October 21.

Who scored a hat-trick for Charlton against Fleetwood Town this season?

Checkatrade will contact the winners with details of how to obtain the tickets.

More than 1.2 million consumers visit the Checkatrade.com website every month looking for recommended tradespeople local to them. If you need a tradesperson, search by your location on www.checkatrade.com.

Terms & Conditions

The prize consists of four tickets for five winners to the game against Fulham U21 on Wednesday 1 November 2017.
    The package does not include travel to or from the ground or any hospitality at the ground
    Entrants are reminded that tickets are issued subject to Charlton Athletic'sregulations and the Conditions of Entry relevant to those tickets. https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/ground-regulations-2017-18-efl---final.pdf
    Fans are reminded that these tickets are in the Charlton Athleticend and seats are amongst home supporters. Any away supporters found in home areas may be ejected from the ground either for the purposes of their own safety or for any other reason.
    If you have any special accessibility requirements, the venue will be contacted to check accessibility. In some instances, notice of accessible seating may only be available at short notice.

The competition is open to all UK residents with the exception of employees of Charlton Athletic,Fulham FC,the EFL or Hatch Communications, their immediate families, agents or anyone else associated with the administration
    This is not a Prize Draw of the EFL, any clubs or their respective group companies nor is there any liability or contractual obligation owed to prize winners by the EFL, clubs or respective group companies relating to the operation of this Prize Draw (save only in relation to any applicable conditions of issue for tickets and/or stadium regulations).
    Clubs will be notified of the Prize Draw winners and databases will be checked against any Club Banning Orders as well as the National Police Database for those who may be subject to a court banning order.
    Under no circumstances can this prize be transferred to a third party or sold for any financial amount. This is a clear breach in conditions.
    No cash alternative will be offered
    The competition closes at [BEFORE MIDDAY 25 OCTOBER 2017]
    In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value
    The promoter's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
    All entrants must be willing to participate in publicity should they be a winner
    We reserve the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition if, in our sole discretion, the competition is not capable of being conducted as specified in the competition rules

http://www.kentlive.news/sport/football/football-news/win-charlton-athletic-vs-fulham-638164

WhiteJC

Two Assists For Sess

Steven Sessegnon played a key role in England's 4-0 victory over Iraq at the Under-17 World Cup at the weekend.

Making his first appearance of the tournament, the right-back was involved in three goals, claiming two direct assists.

His clever pass helped create the opener when he slid Nya Kirby in, whose cross was converted by Angel Gomes just 11 minutes into the game.

Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho had a penalty saved, before Emile Smith-Rowe doubled the advantage just before the hour mark.

A couple of minutes later Sessegnon embarked on a barnstorming run before playing a defence splitting pass to send Danny Loader in on goal, with the Reading forward keeping his composure to round the goalkeeper and score.

The pair combined again later on to make it a comprehensive victory, when Sessegnon set his teammate up after an Iraq free-kick had been cleared only as far as the Fulham youngster.

The result means England finish as group winners, and will now face Japan on Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/october/17/two-assists-for-sess

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

There's a couple of diverse points you can take from the Preston game. On the one hand it's good to come back from two goals down, but we shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. Preston look a well organised outfit but I doubt they'll be in the Play-Off spots come the end of the season. They were sloppy goals we conceded as well, and you can't afford to give those away. While everyone knows how good we are with the ball, it's just as important what you do without it. Both goals were preventable so that made life doubly hard for ourselves early on against a side who were going to set up to sit behind the ball anyway.

We've gained a reputation, and rightly so, for being a very good footballing side and so when sides come to Craven Cottage they're setting their stall up to sit back and make it as difficult for us as they can for us. Fair play to the boys then for refusing to give up. We've seen so many late goals snatch points away from us this season, so it was pleasing to be on the right end of one on Saturday. I thought we'd lost because I was at Tottenham covering their game and I could hear the results coming in, so I'd assumed it had finished 2-1 when there appeared to be no sign of another goal.

How refreshing was it to see Ollie Norwood's penalty hit the back of the net? Thank goodness for that. Penalties are a funny thing, everyone thinks it's a given that you're going to score from a penalty, but to have a good penalty taker in your team is so important. Older Fulham fans will remember we had one in Kevin Lock – I can't remember him ever missing. Ray Lewington used to fight him for the ball when we won a penalty, which we always thought was strange because he was quite honestly one of the worst takers we had! Terrific player but not the best striker of the ball. We later learnt at the end of the season that he was on a goal bonus which is why he wanted to take all the penalties!

Another wonderful sight was Tom Cairney back out there for the second half. He's so vital for us. Central midfield is probably our strongest area when he's fit, along with the other boys in there. To see him back on the pitch was a real big plus. He's a player who's going to create and keep possession, he's one of the best around at that, so I'm sure we'll see him returning to top form before long.

We're off to Aston Villa next, and aside from their last match they've been on a good run since Steve Bruce came out and publicly said that they'll be up there come the end of the season. Looking at his squad, there's an overspill of Premier League players and they should be up there. We're more than a quarter of the way into the season now so his players have bedded in, and they're a side that's going to get stronger and stronger. I think they'll be top-six because they've got that experience. I don't think they'll get automatics but they'll be up there.

Villa Park is a ground where I think we can do well. It's a nice big pitch so if we can go there and play our stuff, which we do well against the top teams, then their fans – and it will be a sizeable crowd – will get on the players' backs because the Villa supporters are an expectant bunch. I have no doubt that we'll have at least half of the possession – I bet we have 60 per cent possession, so that should work in our favour.

I covered Villa early on in the season when they lost at the Madejski Stadium. Reading completely dominated them, and we're better than Reading, so I wouldn't mind having a sneaky little flutter on us at the weekend. If I was a betting man I'd definitely stick Fulham in my accumulator as you'd probably get a decent price on us, and with our away form there's no reason we can't bring three points back to London.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/october/17/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Rui Fonte reveals his preferred position ahead of Aston Villa clash

Fans have debated whether Fonte should be use as the out-and-out striker or the second striker and now the man himself has had his say

Rui Fonte has revealed he is comfortable playing as either the main or second striker as Fulham gear up to face Aston Villa on Saturday.

The Portuguese man has scored just once this season and is now without a goal in five games, having missed a penalty against QPR when he blazed the ball over Alex Smithies' bar.

That said, he's been used in two different positions so far this season - as the out and out striker and as the second striker just before Aboubakar Kamara, and Fonte has revealed he doesn't mind where he plays but is more comfortable in the middle.

He said: "I feel comfortable as both the first striker and the second striker and I can play wide too if the gaffer needs me.

"But so long as it is in the middle I feel comfortable playing there.

"I come from a different league and I think I have different knowledge of the game and I think I can help, but the guys here have played a long time in the Championship and we can help each other."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-rui-fonte-reveals-13771867

WhiteJC

Statisticians have Fulham finishing in top six after latest set of Championship results

Statisticians have had a go at simulating the season and, on average, they have Fulham finishing in the Play-off places

Statisticians still have Fulham finishing in the top six this season after the latest set of Championship results, including the side's 2-2 draw with Preston.

FiveThirtyEight , who forecast how the division will finish based on Soccer Power Index ratings, believe Slavisa Jokanovic's side will finish the season in sixth place, level on points with Preston and Aston Villa on 71 points.

That is nine points behind last season's tally of 80 points, which interestingly would be enough to secure top spot in FiveThirtyEight's predicted league standings, which is occupied by Wolves at time of writing.

They have given Fulham a 28% probable chance of finishing in the Play-offs this season and 21% of being promoted, but only a 7% chance of winning the title.

Although you can't get .1 of a point, FiveThirtyEight have simulated the season and on average they believe Fulham will win 18.7 games, drawing 14.9 while losing 12.5 - that means they reckon Fulham will win another 14 games this season.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/statisticians-fulham-finishing-top-six-13772323

WhiteJC

The changes Aston Villa could make after Wolves woe - predicted XI to face Fulham

Steve Bruce will already be mulling over his starting XI to face Fulham on Saturday

Steve Bruce has named virtually the same starting XI for Aston Villa's last five matches but a resounding defeat to promotion rivals Wolves has cast doubt over their own Premier League possibilities.

Twelve points from the last 15 on offer suggests there is no need to panic. However, it's only right that some of Villa's fringe players are considered for selection ahead of Fulham's visit to Villa Park on Saturday.

Team news

Mile Jedinak (groin) remains a doubt. The Australian's 45-minute outing against Middlesbrough in September is the only football he has played this season.

Gabby Agbonlahor isn't expected to be involved and hasn't played since early September.

Henri Lansbury is back in contention for a place in the squad having overcome a knee injury sustained before the international break.

Jack Grealish has returned to full training following kidney surgery and played 60 minutes of Villa's under-23s' win over Wolves on Monday night.

Neil Taylor will serve the second of his three-match ban following a red card against Bolton.

Possible changes

Villa's back five appears settled. Alan Hutton was one of few bright sparks to emerge from Saturday's defeat at Molineux and is again expected to deputise for Taylor at left-back.

Wingers Robert Snodgrass and Albert Adomah weren't able to offer the attacking threat supporters had witnessed in the games prior to Wolves due to their defensive duties.

Bruce watched Grealish play left-midfield for Villa's under-23s at New Bucks Head and that position appears to be the 22-year-old's most likely route back into the first XI.

However, Adomah's form over the last month has been stunning so Grealish has a tough job on his hands to wrestle back the jersey.

Josh Onomah is usually the first off the bench for Villa and will be desperate to start his first Championship game since September 9.

The Tottenham Hotspur loanee has impressed and could dislodge either Keinan Davis or Conor Hourihane, depending on what formation Bruce plumps for.

Big money striker Scott Hogan has been made to wait patiently for his chance this season and is another option for Bruce to consider should the manager want to alter his attack.

Our prediction...

Despite several of Villa's stand-ins presenting compelling cases for inclusion against Fulham, Bruce has waited too long to find the winning formula to change his team after a minor hiccup.

The claret and blues were outclassed at Molineux but they are unlikely to face another Championship team of such quality for the remainder of the campaign.

With that in mind, we expect Bruce to continue with the XI that started against Wolves. However, Snodgrass and Adomah must be given freedom to create havoc, as they did in wins over Barnsley, Nottingham Forest, Burton Albion and Bolton.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/changes-aston-villa-could-make-13773234

WhiteJC

Remembering Fulham's greatest ever player - Johnny Haynes

Dan Crawford of the Fulham Supporters' Trust looks back at the fascinating career of Johnny Haynes - Fulham's greatest ever player

Fulham's finest ever player Johnny Haynes was born on this day, 17 October, in 1934.

Despite being born in Kentish Town, Haynes signed schoolboy forms with Fulham in 1950 and quickly demonstrated the potential at Craven Cottage that he had shown in youth football.

He scored four times in six appearances during a brief loan spell at Wimbledon in 1952 and made his first-team debut for Fulham at the age of 18 against Southampton on Boxing Day.

He went on to make 657 senior appearances for Fulham, scoring 157 goals and was part of the Fulham side that reached the 1957/58 FA Cup semi-final, where they were beaten by a Manchester United team still mourning the Munich air disaster, after two absorbing games.

Haynes was pivotal to the team that won promotion to the top flight and his range of passing and desire for perfection meant Fulham regularly punched above their weight in the First Division.

Haynes was a star on the international scene, well before he scored on his England debut against Northern Ireland in 1954, largely because of his electrifying performances for the England B and England U23 sides.

Johnny Haynes in action vs Burnley, 1961 (Image: Daily Herald)

He scored 18 times in 56 appearances, including famous match-winning performances against Scotland and the USSR. His international career, which saw him captain England in successive World Cups, was brutally curtailed by a car accident in Blackpool that broke both his legs and he had to watch his team-mates win the World Cup in 1966.

Haynes enjoyed a special relationship with the Fulham fans. He became an enthusiastic supporter of the 'Back to the Cottage' moment after Fulham were exiled to Queen's Park Rangers and agreed to become the Fulham Supporters' Trust's president on the organisation's formation in 2003.

His premature death, in a car accident in Edinburgh in 2005, was mourned worldwide, especially at Craven Cottage, where a memorial programme was produced for the next home game against Liverpool, which Fulham fittingly won 2-0.

His contribution to the game and society - he became the first £100 a week footballer in 1961 - is honoured by a statue outside Craven Cottage organised by the Fulham fans.

His contribution to the game and society - he became the first £100 a week footballer in 1961 - is honoured by a statue outside Craven Cottage organised by the Fulham fans.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/remembering-fulhams-greatest-ever-player-13772882

WhiteJC

Newcastle United rejecting £12m for Dwight Gayle looks like a bad decision

Newcastle United rejected an offer from Fulham for Dwight Gayle in the summer.

According to the Daily Star, Newcastle United rejected a £12 million bid for Dwight Gayle in the summer transfer window from Fulham, and they may be regretting that decision now.

Newcastle decided that Gayle was worth more than the £12 million which Fulham bid a few months ago, but the striker's miserable start to the new campaign may have seen his stock fall.

Gayle is yet to score a Premier League goal for Newcastle this season, and there are now serious questions over his fitness.

The 27-year-old had a series of injury problems last term, but he battled through them to be Newcastle's top scorer on their way to promotion.

At that stage, Gayle was obviously an appealing buy for any Championship side, but there may be more question marks over him now.

Newcastle are said to be considering selling Gayle by the Star, but they may be hard pushed to get £12 million for him again.

That fee means Gayle will only be available to a select few Championship clubs, and any buyer will want a guarantee of goals.

Gayle can boast an impressive scoring record, but with his injury problems mounting - there is a question over his reliability. His confidence may also be a concern, given his lack of goals this season.

And Newcastle may now find that rejecting Fulham's offer in January has turned out to be a poor decision.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/10/17/newcastle-united-rejecting-12m-for-dwight-gayle-looks-like-a-bad/

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald reveals competition with team mates as he targets more goals

The Scotsman has only scored three times for Fulham and admits it's something he would like to add to his game going forward

Kevin McDonald has revealed he has a sportmans bet with both Ryan Fredericks and Stefan Johansen as he aims to add more goals to his game this season.

The 28-year-old has only scored three goals for Fulham since joining from Wolves, all of those coming last season, although Slavisa Jokanovic utilises the Scotsman in a deeper role that requires to sit in a defensive position for the most part.

Kevin McDonald has revealed he has a sportmans bet with both Ryan Fredericks and Stefan Johansen as he aims to add more goals to his game this season.

The 28-year-old has only scored three goals for Fulham since joining from Wolves, all of those coming last season, although Slavisa Jokanovic utilises the Scotsman in a deeper role that requires to sit in a defensive position for the most part.

"All in all, I've been happy with my performances.

"A few more goals would be nice but it doesn't seem to be happening yet. I've got a sportsmans bet on with Stefan Johansen on this - he says he'll get to ten before I get to three so I'm under pressure already.

"I've also got a bet on with Ryan Fredericks to see who scores first this season.

"He's trying to claim he scored at QPR but it went down as an owl goal - he can't be having that.

"I've got a chance of beating him but I might be struggling against Stefan."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-midfielder-kevin-mcdonald-reveals-13774260

WhiteJC

The late comeback draw with Preston North End, Tom Cairney and more - we launch new Fulham podcast

New It's All White podcast talking all things Fulham is launched

Do you want to get more in-depth analysis and opinion from Craven Cottage?

Then you need look no further than Get West London's new Fulham podcast.

Here at Trinity Mirror we've launched a new Fulham podcast called It's All White.

We're going to have all the most up to date information from Whites reporter Ryan O'Donovan, as well as and interesting debate from special guests.

This first It's All White pod will be the first of many, and we want your input too, so if you'd like to get involved, if you've got an opinion you want to get off your chest get in touch with us.

We spoke about the comeback draw with Preston, penalties, Tom Cairney and much more for this launch edition.

We will be podcasting every Wednesday, so download it and make sure you subscribe too.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/late-comeback-draw-preston-north-13776397