watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The forward Line is our problem..

Started by abfg, October 22, 2017, 10:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abfg

Aside from Ayite's miss, we had loads of play and no chances in the second half. This for me is down to the forward line. The movement at the front is not right and the forwards must bear responsibility for that. My key example of this is when Fred got to the byline on about 75 mins. Pulled it back and nobody attacked the near post. That is what a centre forward should be doing - beat the first defender to the ball and/or create space in behind for the onrushing midfielder or defender. I had hoped AK could be that guy, but what I've seen of him, he seems more donkey like, and Fonte looks a bit of a prancer. Players like Kebano and Ayite are skillful and dangerous but also wasteful of chances and possession. Mollo and Ojo are the same.

The main debate of recent times on here seems to be manager or owner's fault? For me the problem is the recruitment, we are overstocked on similiar type players, with no centre forward good enough (and no left back but that's another story). Grabban was available in the summer as one example, i'm sure there are others.

It's a shame, as I think we are maybe 2 players from being amazing. Clearly if ÂŁ14M can go on AK and Fonte, why not spend it on decent forwards instead?

colinwhite

Its not our forwards that have let in last minute goals in our home games . The 6 points that we should have had from the Norwich cardiff and Boro games is because we couldnt hold on to a lead ,ok we couldnt score the second goal either so at the very least its a combination of the two - attack and defence.

Lighthouse

I am not aware we actually have the forwards we need. It seems they are not high up on the agenda. Agree also about the central defense. We do often miss the physicality at both ends.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

abfg

Quote from: colinwhite on October 22, 2017, 01:03:58 PM
Its not our forwards that have let in last minute goals in our home games . The 6 points that we should have had from the Norwich cardiff and Boro games is because we couldnt hold on to a lead ,ok we couldnt score the second goal either so at the very least its a combination of the two - attack and defence.

Fair point. My view (for what it's worth) though is that the defence could be better but that the way we play we are much further from having a good enough forward line than a good enough defence. Having said that TC coming in for Norwood will be a massive improvement when it happens and might make a difference to both areas.

RaySmith

The defence needs improving definitely, though how much is this due to our attacking style?

I think Kamara and Fonte  both have a lot of potential with us, even if neither is a conventional number 9, like Martin. I think we have goals in us, up front and through the team, but  we are not flowing at the moment, and  confidence is lacking.

A big centre half?- well we had that with Sigurdson didn't we?

fulhamben

The forward line is defenetly the problem. It doesn't score enough goals to counteract and surpass the amount that the defense and keeper let In each week, to help us win games
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SuffolkWhite

I think the forward line will click and hopefully soon. Do we sign another forward? Yes, and a robust forward is needed at times to offer s different tactic/ Plan B.

I am worried about the defence to, but I think this is the same issue, the need for a no nonsense defender who will out muscle the likes of Terry etc .

And finally the tactic of building from the back, I do get it, but if we are consistently caught in possession and giving it away then either the defenders get better with passing and dodging the challenges coming in, or we hit it long to the robust holding centre forward eg a Zamora type who will pass or knock down to another forward/forwards.

"I Still Believe" we will get it right and a top 6 spot beckons.

COYW
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Mince n Tatties

Well they want have a better chance than this coming Saturday.... If we don't beat them,then its goodnight Vienna.

grandad

Without TC our front players are starved of any decent service. Norwood has not got the perception  & Johansen has been out of sorts for the last few games.
Where there's a will there's a wife

MikeW

"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Jims Dentist

Quote from: abfg on October 22, 2017, 10:41:27 AM
Aside from Ayite's miss, we had loads of play and no chances in the second half. This for me is down to the forward line. The movement at the front is not right and the forwards must bear responsibility for that. My key example of this is when Fred got to the byline on about 75 mins. Pulled it back and nobody attacked the near post. That is what a centre forward should be doing - beat the first defender to the ball and/or create space in behind for the onrushing midfielder or defender. I had hoped AK could be that guy, but what I've seen of him, he seems more donkey like, and Fonte looks a bit of a prancer. Players like Kebano and Ayite are skillful and dangerous but also wasteful of chances and possession. Mollo and Ojo are the same.

The main debate of recent times on here seems to be manager or owner's fault? For me the problem is the recruitment, we are overstocked on similiar type players, with no centre forward good enough (and no left back but that's another story). Grabban was available in the summer as one example, i'm sure there are others.

It's a shame, as I think we are maybe 2 players from being amazing. Clearly if ÂŁ14M can go on AK and Fonte, why not spend it on decent forwards instead?
Very well said ABFG
On a later post, although Sigurdson was thick set, he was no taller than Ream.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on October 22, 2017, 03:03:59 PM
The defence needs improving definitely, though how much is this due to our attacking style?

I think Kamara and Fonte  both have a lot of potential with us, even if neither is a conventional number 9, like Martin. I think we have goals in us, up front and through the team, but  we are not flowing at the moment, and  confidence is lacking.

We need a big footballing centre back that can deal better with corners,  crosses  and set pieces. Not cheap imports from lower Leagues from overseas. Whose apologists who say they need  to spend three months acclimatising.
The first job a new manager should do when he first arrives at a new club they needs surgery. Is to make them hard to beat, and strengthen the defence right across the back Division.
Jok and or Kline and Khan have failed to do that, how many clean sheets have Fulham collected 
In the last 12 months.
Coupled with an inability to take our chances. No goalscorer/Striker = no goals. A simple arithmetic that adds up.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

DevonFFC

You need yo defend from the front and I don't think we do that enough, to often the ball is played forwsrrd, Lost and we are on the back foot.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 22, 2017, 11:23:46 PM

We need a big footballing centre back that can deal better with corners,  crosses  and set pieces. Not cheap imports from lower Leagues from overseas. Whose apologists who say they need  to spend three months acclimatising.
The first job a new manager should do when he first arrives at a new club they needs surgery. Is to make them hard to beat, and strengthen the defence right across the back Division.
Jok and or Kline and Khan have failed to do that, how many clean sheets have Fulham collected 
In the last 12 months.
Coupled with an inability to take our chances. No goalscorer/Striker = no goals. A simple arithmetic that adds up.

But if this big Cb cant get involved in the ball playing aspects of our team then they will get caught and make mistakes.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on October 23, 2017, 10:36:56 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 22, 2017, 11:23:46 PM

In the last 12 months.

But if this big Cb cant get involved in the ball playing aspects of our team then they will get caught and make mistakes.

It's not just about ball playing, that wont win a coconut which has already been proved by our mediocre form and results, unless you mean the endless sideways passing across the back, until we make an unforced error.
That's where we get our large percentage of possession in the stats boys computers, but it doesn't tell you the possession is all in our half, and that the opposition allow us to do it, and they still have more shots at goal than us, so much for stats that delude their admirers.
All that does is waste our own time when we are losing.
We need defenders at the back, not ball playing players that cannot defend, or tackle or deal with crosses set pieces and aggressive physical forwards who are better in the air than our lightweight defence.
Too many players of the same ilk, and hardly any Leaders, Warriors, Fighters and Characters amongst them, and the stats merchants can't tell you that.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

You need  physical strength and athleticism, endurance,  hard work, guts, mental strength, desire etc to play at Championship level, but you also need a good amount of footballing skill and experience - look at all the promising players who make a name in the junior ranks, but don't make it with Fulham, and  make their careers in lower leagues or even  leave the game.

If it was just about physical toughness and will to win, and  giving your last drop of  sweat for the club, you could put out a team of Fulham fans, recruited from  our away following, say- and they'd probably get hammered every game.

Woolly Mammoth

It's about having the right balance of both, nothing to do with pro physical or pro ball skill, it's having the right share of each, and it's fairly clear that the lack of the right balance is hindering our progress.

Never forget your Roots.

We Are Premier League

Quote from: grandad on October 22, 2017, 04:14:37 PM
Without TC our front players are starved of any decent service. Norwood has not got the perception  & Johansen has been out of sorts for the last few games.

with three players upfront it is fair too say that they are to a degree expected to create chance as well as put them away, cant put it all down to tc injury...