watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will he, or won’t he?

Started by Wearethewhites, October 22, 2017, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Usually a Slav supporter, but, this season, my perception of him has changed somewhat.

Before everyone jumps on me, this isn't a Slav out post, nothing near, just my mere opinion about him, and the current situation.

For me, this whole 'recruitment' excuse, and fans defending Slav over our 'recruitment' policy, is really starting to wear thin now.

Yes, it has some impact on us, but, I'm not convinced it's root issue right now, and that Slavs tactics are.

I'm not quite sure what's happened, but, we've turned into a really soft, predictable outfit this season, that all but most teams have sussed out. Give little FFC a dig, and they completely roll over.

Not only can we not defend from a physical, aerial point of view, or keep a clean sheet, we've now got a situation where players can't stick the ball in the back of the net, unless it's from a set piece.

Our attitude leading up to games, is the same, predictable approach, week after week, and so is Slavisa's post match interviews, which constantly blame the same issues.

For me, Slavisa's tactics, tippy-tappy type style, isn't built for the Championship, and won't be getting us out of it, any time soon.

What worries me, is that Slav is to stoburn, to adapt a 'thugish' type approach, which will help win games in this division, and his desire to not play, or attempt to play, a Fletcher / Murray type striker, really annoys me. Even if he did have the choice, he wouldn't, and would prefer the Ayite type's, who can't put the ball away from 2 yards out.

Look, I'm not saying that getting beat 2-1 away to Villa is disgrace, it's not, but, if we want to be a top 6 team again, you've got to be going there, with a bit of bottle, something we seriously lack.

Is Slav the man to get us out of this division? For me, personally, no he isn't.

RaySmith

But we made a play-off place last season.....

Wearethewhites

Quote from: RaySmith on October 22, 2017, 03:05:50 PM

But, that was last season, and not this, whole different kettle of fish now.

No disrespect, but, rather than just adding 'so who do you want' type replies, try to discuss the situation, because it's worth discussing.

colinwhite

Well I for one am very happy that we dont play with a "sluggish type of approach". We still play some great football and to suggest that we are just tippy tappy and that other teams have sussed us out is a very simplistic View. We are creating the chances but not putting them away enough and letting in too many sloppy goals. Its fine margins which have a lot to do with form and confidence . Can we turn it around? absolutely.
I still think we are a very good team and the problem is that we have too many draws (at home). We have been beatenby  3  teams , and losing to Villa away cant be considered a catastrophe.
Lets hang in there start winning our home matches ,strengthen in January with a couple of quality signings and I believe we will make the playoffs.

JoelH5

Completely agree with Statto. Last year we overachieved. Now it's back down to reality with a bump
I was there, standing in the Putney end

MikeW

Opening post was very perceptive and I mostly agree with follow-up comments.

we really are just not good enough all over the field to be contemplating promotion possibilities.  Where I was yesterday at Villa Park a guy looked at me (assuming he was Villa) and simply said, 'they are both so far away from Premiership'. Have to agree.

As for Sav - he's a complicated character I'm guessing and the back room speculation (because that's what it is) about transfer policy and decision making doesn't help.  He comes across as distant and not too much humour from our side of the fence (contrast Meullensteen?) but again, speculation.

As I've said before, we are so far away from the finished article.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Lighthouse

Teams have learned how to play us. When our players are on top form it tends not to matter. But this season we are far from being close to that. Teams push us and we have no real answer to it. Slav has no real answer to it and the players brought in are really good squad players but not a great improvement on last season first team.

Saying all that we are a good side but not really going to be in contention this season. While I understand that fans have to put the blame somewhere. I have a feeling that there isn't one answer.

If the right job came along Slav would leave as any manager would. As for the fans. We may need to lower expectations.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SP

Agree with the OP.  We needed to improve on last season, doing the same again was unlikely to work this season.  TC was one of the top players last year & may be again if he can regain fitness.

IMO, Fulham have never been good at fouling smart which is a must to suceed in the Championship.  Reading's 'clever' bending of the rules won them the second leg of the play-off semi-final.

Andy S

What a lot of rubbish. Of course you get Sussed out in football. There were three teams relegated last season and4 promoted. So nothing stays the same. The league is a lot harder this year. If you stand still you go backwards. It really is that simple. Other teams have spent well and so have we to an extent. Slav has not suddenly become a bad coach and 2-1 against Villa is a close result. Let's stop the panic before it begins

Jims Dentist

I would certainly like to see us be a bit more thugish, but with our current squad that would not be possible.
I would like to see Fonte roughing up the CB, but it won't happen.
So, once again does it not come down to recruitment.

Robbie

We need a few wins .. and more goals !

BestOfBrede

Absolutely sick of this negative rubbish every time we get less than 3 points as if it were a god given right!

It will be awful when we go up, to be honest, because there will complete meltdown if we fail to beat 'insert prem club here'

Anyone would think we have no chance and are terrible - I bet there are many managers/coaches that would love to take our players and many owners who would love to have our manager!

I'll carry on enjoying mine and feeling good about my team.

COYSW's

Woolly Mammoth

Until we address our soft underbelly lack of height, lack of physicality, lack of competitiveness, lack of aggression, lack of leadership, lack of a strong mentality in some players, none of this wil appear on the stat sheets, because Khan and Kline live on a different planet.
We will stay where we are. Men against boys at times.
So where do we go from here, it is no excuse to blame injuries, every team has them, and you deal with it, and not feel sorry for yourselves.
The club has to make sure we have plenty of cover for all eventualities, something they failed to do causing an imbalance. Too many players for one position and not enough for other positions. Too many lightweight players, who walk off the pitch looking like they have just come out of the dry cleaners, the heartbeat in the team is very faint.
If the Chairman can bother to find out in between his jaunts on his Yacht, he will find out assuming he has any ambition, he will hand Jok an open cheque book to bring in HIS players, including an orthodox striker and a tall powerful Centre back just for starters, and they must be players who will fit in the team STRAIGHT away, and have an IMMEDIATE IMPACT cause that's what quality players do.
Not wait for them to aclimatise and gell and get up to speed, otherwise don't sign them, which has been a massive error of judgement in the past. Too many milky players, and too many supporters making excuses for them.
The quicker we add some steel aggression hunger and appetite and desire to the team the quicker we can get back to winning.
Because our home form smells of an outfit that doesn't know how to win on their own patch, and make the place a fortress, and if you cannot do that, then you will not beat a carpet.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ron

Our performances begin to remind me of that scene in Indiana Jones where the samurai warrior demonstrates amazing dexterity with his sword,but then is finished off with a single shot from jones....if you get my analogy....

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ron on October 22, 2017, 10:31:44 PM
Our performances begin to remind me of that scene in Indiana Jones where the samurai warrior demonstrates amazing dexterity with his sword,but then is finished off with a single shot from jones....if you get my analogy....

Yes I do.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Chutney

Our team is no better than last season, to expect Slav to work miracles again is unreasonable, he got the players playing out of their skin last season and even then we scraped in to the play offs by the skin of our teeth.
C O Y W

MJG

Quote from: Chutney on October 23, 2017, 09:37:37 AM

Our team is no better than last season, to expect Slav to work miracles again is unreasonable, he got the players playing out of their skin last season and even then we scraped in to the play offs by the skin of our teeth.
Was it really skin of our teeth?
In top 6 from 43rd game onward
3 points clear with a 13 goals better GD with one game to go and ended up 5 points clear of 7th.
Left it late maybe, but skin of teeth nope.

Just the views of a long term fan

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on October 23, 2017, 09:43:47 AM
Quote from: Chutney on October 23, 2017, 09:37:37 AM

Was it really skin of our teeth?
In top 6 from 43rd game onward
3 points clear with a 13 goals better GD with one game to go and ended up 5 points clear of 7th.
Left it late maybe, but skin of teeth nope.

My point is we made it because Slav got the players performing out of their skin, and its unfair to expect the same again. We were also helped by Leeds completely falling apart. Even with Slav performing miracles and the players playing to their upmost best we scraped in to the play offs. If we fail to over perform again this season we will miss out, our best team is largely the same as last seasons.
C O Y W