Author Topic: Advice for my first visit to Craven Cottage  (Read 1646 times)

Offline TexanCottager

• Youth Academy
Re: Advice for my first visit to Craven Cottage
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 06:47:21 PM »
Great stuff, everyone! My day's itinerary seems to be taking shape nicely.

I just saw one "soccer dude", early 20s, hipsterish look, wearing basically a US shirt and scarf.  He kept telling his "buds" how Ful Ham, 'has' to get the ball moving more. Anyway, that one person happened to be american and annoyed me so now I'm on the look out for him and his followers.

Ugh. I've met a couple of "Full Ham" types. Wankers. I'll do my best not to be that guy.

Offline ToodlesMcToot

• cebu
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
Great stuff, everyone! My day's itinerary seems to be taking shape nicely.

I just saw one "soccer dude", early 20s, hipsterish look, wearing basically a US shirt and scarf.  He kept telling his "buds" how Ful Ham, 'has' to get the ball moving more. Anyway, that one person happened to be american and annoyed me so now I'm on the look out for him and his followers.

Ugh. I've met a couple of "Full Ham" types. Wankers. I'll do my best not to be that guy.

Yeah, well, they are still better than those West Ham types.  :dft012:
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Offline The Rock

• Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »
You can see on here the different pubs. The back at the Lion is usually pretty good, bar the toilets and the poor selection of beer. For real ale the old timers go to brickslayers the opposite side of Putney bridge, a wonderful camra pub that I've missed the last few times but great ale. Google it.

In the ground, and I did this for PNE, I bot a ticket in the riverside at the middle of the pitch and sat there for the first half, right behind SJ. Then for the second half I went to the corner of the hammersmith (H1) and there are usually some empty seats and can go by the entrance there for the atmosphere, and it is close to the beer and toielts as well, an obvious benefit.

Also if you have time, go on the offical and you can get a tour on the Friday like 11am of the cottage. I haven't actually done it, but you can see the dressing rooms and bathe in the glory.

Very sad to hear the Newcastle part, no one's perfect. Enjoy.

Offline TexanCottager

• Youth Academy
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 04:24:33 AM »
So I was poking around the club ticket site this afternoon, about to book a spot in H5 when I get a personal message alert from this site. A member of this forum has offered to meet me before the match, GIVE me a spare ticket in H6, and show me to the correct entrance!

I can't thank this community enough for such a warm welcome and guidance... I've only been a member for 24 hours.

I will defer to my benefactor to announce himself if he chooses, as I did not ask his permission to make the offer public.

Offline Southcoastffc

• Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
And that's why people still refer to the.Fulham Family.  Well done whoever it was. 👍👍👍
Ær ic wisdom funde, ær wearð ic eald.
Before I found wisdom, I became old.

Offline Mitch

• Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
So I was poking around the club ticket site this afternoon, about to book a spot in H5 when I get a personal message alert from this site. A member of this forum has offered to meet me before the match, GIVE me a spare ticket in H6, and show me to the correct entrance!

I can't thank this community enough for such a warm welcome and guidance... I've only been a member for 24 hours.

I will defer to my benefactor to announce himself if he chooses, as I did not ask his permission to make the offer public.

Excellent. Hope you have a great time Texan.

Offline Keynsham

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
Just take in the surroundings and the atmosphere and enjoy it.  Without a doubt it is the best ground that I have ever set foot in and it is at it's very best on an Autumnal/Winter weekend when the floodlights come on.

You'll love it.

Offline G_Gribby

• tjl
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 06:04:34 AM »
I will bring two US Cottagers to the Derby match. One lady from New Jersey and one chap original from Georgia. We have tickets at the Riverside.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Offline filham

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
The Dove pub, you won’t regret it. History, ale, atmosphere. Followed by walk along the Thames then the Crabtree. :54:
Be careful at the pubs, you may not be used to the lovely warm British beer.

Offline filham

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
The Dove pub, you won’t regret it. History, ale, atmosphere. Followed by walk along the Thames then the Crabtree. :54:
Be careful at the pubs, you may not be used to the lovely warm British beer and pints are imperial pints not U.S.measures.

Online Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
Be careful at the pubs, you may not be used to the lovely warm British beer.

Try the English beer it’s a lot colder and a lot stronger and far better for you. Keep away from the lager, it’s nats pee.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Offline TexanCottager

• Youth Academy
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 03:27:40 PM »
Ah yes, thanks for the warnings.

One thing I DO know is beer. And while many of your fine English ales are certainly stronger than the piss lager that passes for beer in most of the world, my liver is qualified on even higher ABV American IPAs, Double IPAs, Imperial Stouts, and assorted other strong ales.

Also, I've been privileged to enjoy a drink in a good number of countries by now, and no one has served me a warm beer yet. Cellar temperature is appropriate for many styles. Please continue to excuse the ignorance of the unwashed masses who think beer must be served cold enough to form ice crystals. Most of the swill that lot drink could not be choked down otherwise.

Offline love4ffc

• Global Moderator
  • Gentleman Jim
  • Ambiguity doesn't mean the end....COYW!!
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »
Sorry coming to this conversation late.  Advise from a fellow Yank;
I like what Filham and Southcoastffc have suggested and would make sure you give yourself plenty of time to enjoy everything.  Coming from the Eurostar underground station I would take the Piccadilly line to Earl’s Court station.  From there get the District line to Putney Bridge station.  From there it is just a short walk to the Golden Lion.  Some on here will say it’s a dump but I enjoyed myself there and found lots of supporters hanging around outside singing pregame. 

From the Golden Lion you will have a fantastic walk through Bishop Park with lots of Fulham and away supporters.  Fantastic walk with a great atmosphere.  If you can get to the Cottage with extra time so you can visit the gift shop and have a pint.  Also, don’t forget to purchase a TOOFIF magazine outside the stadium.   

After the game, walk through Bishop Park again only this time turn right and walk across the Putney Bridge to the Rocket for your after match pint.  Great atmosphere and pretty good burger to boot. 

Anyway, that's my two pence  082.gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Offline alfie

• cebu
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »
If you get in the Hammersmith be prepared to jump up and every time we get a throw in or make any movements towards the goal, that is why I have now moved to Putney end as my old legs can't handle Hammersmith any more, and it's a good view
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Offline Jims Dentist

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »
You will probably arrive at Hammersmith Station as it is far better served than Putney.  Start by walking down Fulham Palace Road then turn left into Chancellors Road and follow the road down to the River Thames.  You can then walk along the riverside path to the Crabtree which is the nicest of the local pubs.  From there it is a short walk to the ground.  The Hammersmith End has the best atmosphere but don't take a row that is too low i.e. near ground level; the view is not as good.  However the sides, Riverside or Johnny Haynes stands will offer a better view of the action at both ends especially if you are near the centre.  It depends whether atmosphere or view take precedence.

After the game I strongly recommend a walk back along the river all the way under the beautiful old Hammersmith suspension bridge to a pub called the Dove.  It is an old and very historic pub where the words to Rule Brittania were penned and where Charles II courted Nell Gwynne.  It also does decent after match food.
Don't be tempted to go in The Chancellors.
The beer is crap and the manager is a miserable old git with disgusting teeth.