watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Advice for my first visit to Craven Cottage

Started by TexanCottager, November 08, 2017, 11:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexanCottager

TL;DR: Yank coming to Craven Cottage for the first time for the Derby match wants to know where to sit and where to drink.

Hello friends,

As the name suggests, I'm a Texan who has followed Fulham for many years, dating back to Eddie Lewis's signing. Carlos Bocanegra is one of my favorite players of all time. I followed Dempsey's career as he is a fellow Texan and we are around the same age--I *attempted* a tackle or two on him many years ago in a Dallas youth tournament. And of course, McBride is a legend for club and country.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've "officially" been a Newcastle supporter (or at least as much as one can be from the States) since the late '90s when some Geordies I met at University turned me on to Alan Shearer and his hometown club. But I have long followed Fulham because of the American connections and considered it my "second" club (another American idea that probably seems ridiculous to many of you).

In any case, I've wanted to attend a match at Craven Cottage for over 15 years now, and it's finally happening. I have a business trip to Belgium next week and have decided to add a short London visit to the end of it. I'll be arriving on the Eurostar Saturday morning, November 18 and will head west to Fulham.

Where should I sit? Where should I grab a drink before and/or after the match?

I have never thought anywhere along the touch line to be the best football viewing for me--I generally prefer to watch a match from behind a goal. I find it provides a better view of the formation shifts, individual player matchups, and tactical aspects of the game. My question is whether I will be welcome in the Hammersmith end? Or should I go to the neutral side? H5 or H6 would be perfect for my match viewing preferences, and I know the atmosphere there will be lively. Any reason not to buy a ticket in one of those sections?

Besides seating and places nearby to hang out, what other match day tips can you offer?

Sorry for so many words. I am very excited about the visit!

Burt

And you were doing so well up until the Newcastle bit...  :)

Welcome aboard TC, glad you are going to be making it to the Cottage after all these years.

People will have different opinions of course, but my advice would be as follows:
- Book a ticket for the middle of the Hammersmith End for watching the game. H4 or 5 should do the trick.
- Plenty of pubs around the place, depends which direction you will be coming from. The Golden Lion on Fulham High St is not the nicest of them but it is convenient to the ground, has a decent selection of booze and a good atmosphere on matchdays. The Crabtree is also close, from the Hammersmith side.
- A pre-match bag of chips from Fishers on Fulham High St, best chips in town :)
- Walk through Bishops Park before or after the game.

Cheers

Burt

Mitch

Not everyone will agree, but for me, I'd suggest Hammersmith End for atmosphere or the Riverside for that touchline view. If you're in either you'll be able to walk in from the Hammersmith End and have a beer on the Riverside overlooking The Thames. It's the best part of the stadium for me.

Who will you be with on matchday? Lots of options locally for food and drink, depending on how much of a football type day you'll want really. Can definitely second Fishers for Fish and Chips - best around for a long distance.

filham

Best to arrive on the District Line train at Putney Bridge and take the  walk by the River Thames through Bishops Park, it is pleasant, you will not be alone but you will avoid close encounters with traffic fumes.

Where to sit in the ground, well rest assured you will be welcomed in any area, the options are:-

Putney End     Most space possibly best choice of seats available, intended for families and neutrals.(behind the goal)

Hammersmith End  Most crowed and full of atmosphere when we are winning. (behind the goal)

Riverside Stand    Excellent view of the game, most expensive seats, incorporates the Brian McBride Bar (alongside the pitch)

Johnny Haynes Stand, some supporting pillars that can interrupt the view, very old and loaded with history. Tends to be occupied by a good number of old farts, like myself.(alongside pitch)

Pub . Try the Crabtree a ten minute walk from the ground on the banks of the Thames, full of Fulham fans.

Enjoy your trip and the match.

PS my best ever Fulham match was an FA Cup match against Newcastle in  fifties.

Southcoastffc

Definitely H4 or H5 in the Hammersmith End - most definitely not the graveyard that is the Riverside.   Golden Lion if coming from Putney Bridge Tube, Crabtree if from Hammersmith.   That combination will give you a true Fulham experience.  Enjoy it and bring us the luck we need!

And choose a seat as far back in the stand as you can get - the atmosphere is better there.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ToodlesMcToot

Advice:

Don't wear your Kline jersey.    :dft011:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

TexanCottager

Cheers to all of you for the suggestions. I will be alone, as my colleague on this trip thinks my one-day jaunt to London is a bit daft (let me know if my English phrases don't land; I'll switch right back to exclusively Americanisms in a heartbeat). He's staying in Belgium for the weekend. That means I am free to take as "authentic" an experience as I like.

There are a few single seats available in the center and top of H5, so I will likely be there. Will definitely have to walk around to McBride's to have a pint and get a photo, though. Maybe I'll see one of you at the Crabtree or Golden Lion. Or both--Crabtree before and Golden Lion after?  078.gif

Quote from: Burt on November 08, 2017, 11:44:47 AM

Yeah, I knew that would be the least popular bit of my post. I very nearly got sucked into the Arsenal vortex in the late '90s when establishing my international allegiances; at least I had the presence of mind to ultimately reject that. Unfortunately, it would have been impossible for me at the time to overestimate the level of misery caring about Newcastle would bring me over the years.  fp.gif

TexanCottager

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 08, 2017, 02:29:37 PM
Advice:

Don't wear your Kline jersey.    :dft011:

Ha! I'll be sure to leave that one at home. I did have a Bocanegra jersey once upon a time, but it shrunk a lot over the years and it's long gone. (I mean, it definitely wasn't that I got bigger).

_Putney_

Just don't wear US SOCCER GARB or a newcastle shirt and all will be good

TexanCottager

Quote from: _Putney_ on November 08, 2017, 03:22:00 PM

How about a Robert Green jersey, then?

In all seriousness, I am still in deep mourning and emotionally unable to acknowledge the existence of US Soccer at the moment.

EDIT: And I've been around the game long enough to know better than to wear another club's shirt in the heart of a home supporters' section. Besides, I'll be there to support Fulham and nothing else.

gang

Quote from: TexanCottager on November 08, 2017, 02:45:56 PM
Cheers to all of you for the suggestions. I will be alone, as my colleague on this trip thinks my one-day jaunt to London is a bit daft (let me know if my English phrases don't land; I'll switch right back to exclusively Americanisms in a heartbeat). He's staying in Belgium for the weekend. That means I am free to take as "authentic" an experience as I like.

There are a few single seats available in the center and top of H5, so I will likely be there. Will definitely have to walk around to McBride's to have a pint and get a photo, though. Maybe I'll see one of you at the Crabtree or Golden Lion. Or both--Crabtree before and Golden Lion after?  078.gif

Quote from: Burt on November 08, 2017, 11:44:47 AM

Yeah, I knew that would be the least popular bit of my post. I very nearly got sucked into the Arsenal vortex in the late '90s when establishing my international allegiances; at least I had the presence of mind to ultimately reject that. Unfortunately, it would have been impossible for me at the time to overestimate the level of misery caring about Newcastle would bring me over the years.  fp.gif

Probably better the other way round i.e. Golden Lion before and Crabtree after.
You can get a very nice meal at the Crabtree albeit a bit dear.

Twig

You will probably arrive at Hammersmith Station as it is far better served than Putney.  Start by walking down Fulham Palace Road then turn left into Chancellors Road and follow the road down to the River Thames.  You can then walk along the riverside path to the Crabtree which is the nicest of the local pubs.  From there it is a short walk to the ground.  The Hammersmith End has the best atmosphere but don't take a row that is too low i.e. near ground level; the view is not as good.  However the sides, Riverside or Johnny Haynes stands will offer a better view of the action at both ends especially if you are near the centre.  It depends whether atmosphere or view take precedence.

After the game I strongly recommend a walk back along the river all the way under the beautiful old Hammersmith suspension bridge to a pub called the Dove.  It is an old and very historic pub where the words to Rule Brittania were penned and where Charles II courted Nell Gwynne.  It also does decent after match food.

mojo

I would say don't miss the walk from putney bridge station through the pedestrian tunnel and into bishops park. Along the river to the ground.
Get there early enough, you can then walk past the ground in daylight, take plenty of photos, after the ground you can rejoin the river walk and will take you to the crabtree pub after about 10 minutes

_Putney_

Quote from: TexanCottager on November 08, 2017, 03:34:12 PM
Quote from: _Putney_ on November 08, 2017, 03:22:00 PM

How about a Robert Green jersey, then?

In all seriousness, I am still in deep mourning and emotionally unable to acknowledge the existence of US Soccer at the moment.

EDIT: And I've been around the game long enough to know better than to wear another club's shirt in the heart of a home supporters' section. Besides, I'll be there to support Fulham and nothing else.

I've only had great times going to games with visiting Americans at the Cottage!  It'll be great. If coming straight from St. Pancras, Hammersmith will be faster and the Crabtree is a good shout.  Golden LIon after like someone suggested! :)

I just saw one "soccer dude", early 20s, hipsterish look, wearing basically a US shirt and scarf.  He kept telling his "buds" how Ful Ham, 'has' to get the ball moving more. Anyway, that one person happened to be american and annoyed me so now I'm on the look out for him and his followers.

thebumponleroyshead

The Dove pub, you won't regret it. History, ale, atmosphere. Followed by walk along the Thames then the Crabtree. :54:
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

TexanCottager

Great stuff, everyone! My day's itinerary seems to be taking shape nicely.

Quote from: _Putney_ on November 08, 2017, 05:57:54 PM
I just saw one "soccer dude", early 20s, hipsterish look, wearing basically a US shirt and scarf.  He kept telling his "buds" how Ful Ham, 'has' to get the ball moving more. Anyway, that one person happened to be american and annoyed me so now I'm on the look out for him and his followers.

Ugh. I've met a couple of "Full Ham" types. Wankers. I'll do my best not to be that guy.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: TexanCottager on November 08, 2017, 06:47:21 PM
Great stuff, everyone! My day's itinerary seems to be taking shape nicely.

Quote from: _Putney_ on November 08, 2017, 05:57:54 PM

Ugh. I've met a couple of "Full Ham" types. Wankers. I'll do my best not to be that guy.

Yeah, well, they are still better than those West Ham types.  :dft012:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

The Rock

You can see on here the different pubs. The back at the Lion is usually pretty good, bar the toilets and the poor selection of beer. For real ale the old timers go to brickslayers the opposite side of Putney bridge, a wonderful camra pub that I've missed the last few times but great ale. Google it.

In the ground, and I did this for PNE, I bot a ticket in the riverside at the middle of the pitch and sat there for the first half, right behind SJ. Then for the second half I went to the corner of the hammersmith (H1) and there are usually some empty seats and can go by the entrance there for the atmosphere, and it is close to the beer and toielts as well, an obvious benefit.

Also if you have time, go on the offical and you can get a tour on the Friday like 11am of the cottage. I haven't actually done it, but you can see the dressing rooms and bathe in the glory.

Very sad to hear the Newcastle part, no one's perfect. Enjoy.

TexanCottager

So I was poking around the club ticket site this afternoon, about to book a spot in H5 when I get a personal message alert from this site. A member of this forum has offered to meet me before the match, GIVE me a spare ticket in H6, and show me to the correct entrance!

I can't thank this community enough for such a warm welcome and guidance... I've only been a member for 24 hours.

I will defer to my benefactor to announce himself if he chooses, as I did not ask his permission to make the offer public.

Southcoastffc

And that's why people still refer to the.Fulham Family.  Well done whoever it was. 👍👍👍
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.