watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Advice for my first visit to Craven Cottage

Started by TexanCottager, November 08, 2017, 11:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertie Wooster

The best pub is the Dukes Head, on the other side of the Thames, excellent choice of beers and beautiful panorama,ย  20 minutes walk from the stadium as you have to cross Putney Bridge but it is worth a visit.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Bertie Wooster on November 15, 2017, 09:19:45 PM
The best pub is the Dukes Head, on the other side of the Thames, excellent choice of beers and beautiful panorama,ย  20 minutes walk from the stadium as you have to cross Putney Bridge but it does worth a visit.

It was my local for many years, I used St George's Gym on the top floor of the pub, four times a week to pump iron, and now keep up the tradition in my own private gym.
But I agree with you about the Dukes, it is worth a visit.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.ย  ๐Ÿ˜

Never forget your Roots.

ToodlesMcToot

Alright TexanCottager, now that you've had your first visit to Craven Cottage for a match, how was it? Photos to post?

What did you do that you are happy that you did? What would you have done differently?

As someone who still believes that there is some day in his future that will contain enough money to make such a pilgrimage, I'd enjoy hearing about yours.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." โ€” The Dude

filham

So no word from Texan Cottager, suspect he may have found it all too small for his liking and quickly became homesick for Texas.

Woolly Mammoth

He went in error into the Putney end, found himself in the mix with Derby supporters, and ended up going back to Derbyshire with them, and is now a Rams Season Ticket Holder.ย 

Never forget your Roots.

ToodlesMcToot

Maybe he delivered his stats to Talbot and got straight to training. Anyone see a black cab pull up at Motspur?

Twig

That was a bit disrespectful.ย  Lots of us spent time offering our advice and nothing. Not a squeak.

King_Crud

maybe he's travelling and doesn't have time for this place at the moment?

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2017, 06:59:04 PM
He went in error into the Putney end, found himself in the mix with Derby supporters, and ended up going back to Derbyshire with them, and is now a Rams Season Ticket Holder.ย 
I think this post is best ignored, it is simply motivated by the animal instinct between Rams and Mammoths.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Twig on November 21, 2017, 09:55:56 PM
That was a bit disrespectful.ย  Lots of us spent time offering our advice and nothing. Not a squeak.

Willing to give a bit more time for a response. Hope to read something, perhaps, after the "Thank you indians for saving our interloper lives. You don't know this, but in the future we're going to take this place over." festivities.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on November 22, 2017, 03:00:51 PM
I think this post is best ignored, it is simply motivated by the animal instinct between Rams and Mammoths.

Inspirational quote of the day.ย  ย 
Nature's great Masterpiece, a Woolly Mammoth, the only harmless great creature. ๐Ÿ˜

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 22, 2017, 03:22:51 PM
Quote from: filham on November 22, 2017, 03:00:51 PM

Inspirational quote of the day.ย  ย 
Nature's great Masterpiece, a Woolly Mammoth, the only harmless great creature. ๐Ÿ˜

It is going to be near freezing at the Cottage on Saturday so the only criteria for most of us will concern insulation values of their coats.
I will put my comfort in the proven sheep's wool rather than the shaggy mammoth's coat

Woolly Mammoth

You do not need sheeps wool or my shaggy Mammoth coat on Saturday at the Cottage, it's a luke warm 34 Degrees Fahrenheit,
You will know what I mean if you did what I did in that freezing winter of 1963, in -18 F, when during a 36 hour blizzard, with winds reaching 81 mph. Even the sea froze.
I was training in a combat unit on Bodmin Moor, at 0200 hours on a forced 11mile march in bare feet Shorts and T shirt carrying a 84lb full Assault Pack Tactical Combat Rucksack,ย  and carrying a Standard Issue Bren L4 A4, 7.62 x 51 mm Calibre Service Light Machine Gun above your shoulders.
It's Character building, and you will never complain about cold weather ever again.
So the temperature at the cottage this Saturday represents a heat wave for me.
You will never need your sheeps wool again, let alone my Mammoth Shaggy Coat.
I recommend that Forced March, it should be made mandatory for everyone, especially footballers. You wouldn't see many wearing mittens any more.

Never forget your Roots.

TexanCottager

Well yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am afraid that my delay in responding here would seem quite disrespectful. I was indeed traveling and returned to everyone in my house having fallen ill with one or both of a stomach bug and the flu. Also, a few of my clients were near rioting for various reasons after my absence. The Saturday of the Derby match is the only thing resembling free time I've had in the last month. Still, I am sorry for the delay and very much appreciated all of your suggestions.

I had a great time and all of the Fulham supporters I met were delightful and helpful! A pity the team didn't play the second half so well as they had the first, but the general mood seemed to be that a point was more than many had expected on the night. I was just happy to finally have made it to the Cottage.

Here's how the rest of the day went:

Upon arrival on the Eurostar Saturday morning, I did some obligatory tourist things: walked across the street to King's Cross Station and visited the Harry Potter shop. My daughter is a massive fan, so I had to take some photos and pick up some Christmas gifts.

Then I went by taxi to drop my luggage at the hotel near Charing Cross before setting out on a grand self-guided walking tour through City of London, ending up at the George Inn in Southwark for lunch and my first pints of the day.

After that, by tube to Chiswick to visit the Fuller's brewery. I didn't actually take the tour, but rather walked around a bit and had a pint at the Mawson Arms and visited the brewery store.

From Mawson Arms, I began the long walk along the river back around to Fulham, with quick stops at The Dove and The Blue Anchor. I had intended to stop at the Crabtree as well, but I was meeting my ticket benefactor at the Golden Lion and found myself running short on time. I walked past the Cottage and was surprised to find the club shop queue to be prohibitively long. (I found out later there was a book signing.)

I finally arrived at the Golden Lion rather soaked from the delightful London weather and had a pint with my new friend Bubbles, a delightful Liverpool supporter (is that unusual in the home supporters pub?) standing at the front corner of the bar watching the rugby. After a while, my Fulham supporter friend arrived and I had another pint or two before walking back for the match.

I spent some time walking around the Riverside and peeked into McBride's (there was a private event and I didn't attempt to crash it). As for the match the view and atmosphere from H6 were exactly what I was hoping for, even if the result wasn't the best.

Afterward, we proceeded to Putney and spent a couple of hours at the Duke's head before I headed back to Charing Cross, quite tired and surprisingly only slightly drunk. I had another walk around Westminster in the morning before heading to Heathrow. It was a short visit, but quite a happy one. I will definitely return, hopefully when the team is in a better place and when i can spend more time to enjoy it properly!

Thank you all again for all of your suggestions, and I'm sorry for taking so long to post.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: TexanCottager on November 29, 2017, 12:43:25 AM
Well yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am afraid that my delay in responding here would seem quite disrespectful. I was indeed traveling and returned to everyone in my house having fallen ill with one or both of a stomach bug and the flu. Also, a few of my clients were near rioting for various reasons after my absence. The Saturday of the Derby match is the only thing resembling free time I've had in the last month. Still, I am sorry for the delay and very much appreciated all of your suggestions.

I had a great time and all of the Fulham supporters I met were delightful and helpful! A pity the team didn't play the second half so well as they had the first, but the general mood seemed to be that a point was more than many had expected on the night. I was just happy to finally have made it to the Cottage.

Here's how the rest of the day went:

Upon arrival on the Eurostar Saturday morning, I did some obligatory tourist things: walked across the street to King's Cross Station and visited the Harry Potter shop. My daughter is a massive fan, so I had to take some photos and pick up some Christmas gifts.

Then I went by taxi to drop my luggage at the hotel near Charing Cross before setting out on a grand self-guided walking tour through City of London, ending up at the George Inn in Southwark for lunch and my first pints of the day.

After that, by tube to Chiswick to visit the Fuller's brewery. I didn't actually take the tour, but rather walked around a bit and had a pint at the Mawson Arms and visited the brewery store.

From Mawson Arms, I began the long walk along the river back around to Fulham, with quick stops at The Dove and The Blue Anchor. I had intended to stop at the Crabtree as well, but I was meeting my ticket benefactor at the Golden Lion and found myself running short on time. I walked past the Cottage and was surprised to find the club shop queue to be prohibitively long. (I found out later there was a book signing.)

I finally arrived at the Golden Lion rather soaked from the delightful London weather and had a pint with my new friend Bubbles, a delightful Liverpool supporter (is that unusual in the home supporters pub?) standing at the front corner of the bar watching the rugby. After a while, my Fulham supporter friend arrived and I had another pint or two before walking back for the match.

I spent some time walking around the Riverside and peeked into McBride's (there was a private event and I didn't attempt to crash it). As for the match the view and atmosphere from H6 were exactly what I was hoping for, even if the result wasn't the best.

Afterward, we proceeded to Putney and spent a couple of hours at the Duke's head before I headed back to Charing Cross, quite tired and surprisingly only slightly drunk. I had another walk around Westminster in the morning before heading to Heathrow. It was a short visit, but quite a happy one. I will definitely return, hopefully when the team is in a better place and when i can spend more time to enjoy it properly!

Thank you all again for all of your suggestions, and I'm sorry for taking so long to post.

All in all, it sounds as though you had a good time. At least we did not lose.
Do you feel that you drunk enough pints on the day.
Or do you feel that if you could do it all over again, you would have poured a lot more down your neck. ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ

Never forget your Roots.

filham

So god to hear from you Texan Cottager, we were worried that you had become the victim of some mishap that may have resulted from all the conflicting guidance we had offered.
Trust you are now fully recovered.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on November 29, 2017, 01:19:08 PM
So god to hear from you Texan Cottager, we were worried that you had become the victim of some mishap that may have resulted from all the conflicting guidance we had offered.
Trust you are now fully recovered.

My immediate reaction was to think that they were holding him hostage at the Golden Lion for criticising the spittoons and the saw dust on the floor.ย 

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Apologies for being so impatient to hear from you and delighted you had a great visit.ย  You certainly packed in some pints at different venues!ย  hope to see you back in London soon and would love to meet you in person.

Southcoastffc

I was beginning to think it was all a ruse and you were Craig Kline in disguise making a first trip to Craven Cottage but good to hear that you enjoyed it. Sounds as if you had a few pints more than I can manage these days!ย  082.gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

thebumponleroyshead

Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land