more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

McBrides

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, November 11, 2017, 05:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Hi fellow Fofers,

Wonder if any of you can answer a question for me? McBrides, why was a suite named after him?

Now, I'm no knocking Brian, massive fan of his when at the Club, however, what warranted this, as he never really had any legendary status, etc, etc.

Only bringing this up, as I was genuinely askec this last night, by non-FFC fans, and didn't have an answer.

filham

McBride was so popular , he was our captain and why not have a lounge named after him. Also it helps to cement Anglo American relations.
I think it is a nice touch.

Jimsbeerbelly

But that's the thing, we've had many a good captain over the years, could have been Murphy's, Morgans, Colemans, but why McBrides?

Yes, I get your point filham, I'm taking nothing away from Brian here, smashing bloke, captain, but, suites are normally named after more high profile players.

Or, am I missing something?

RaySmith

I think Brain's name  resonates with a lot of the our American fans, who may visit the Cottage.

And he is significant player in our history, and something of a legend with his never say die attitude and leadership.

Yes, it called have been called after anyone. It could have been called Finnan's Irish bar, or Saha's  Salon or Symonds Symposium, or Gera's Gallimaufry for example, but they decided on McBride's.

HillingdonFFC

Probably because he was one of the most universally respected pro's we've ever had. Absolute gentleman who conducted himself with class & integrity on & off the pitch

hovewhite

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on November 11, 2017, 06:52:12 PM
Probably because he was one of the most universally respected pro's we've ever had. Absolute gentleman who conducted himself with class & integrity on & off the pitch
There the words i was looking for in respect of a model pro.

MrD1879

Quote from: Statto on November 12, 2017, 10:06:03 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on November 11, 2017, 06:30:48 PM
I think Brain's name  resonates with a lot of the our American fans, who may visit the Cottage.

This is the answer IMO.

Simon Morgan, for example, is surely much more of a legend in most fans' eyes but he was an average Brummie who played for us when we were rubbish. The tourists the club wants to attract to the hospitality suites won't have heard of him, but they'll have heard of McBride, a US international who played for us in the PL.

(For the record I'm a big fan of McBride; obviously it's not an insult to say someone is less of a legend than Morgan)

Spot on.

Although a huge fan it can only be for the international appeal when you compare his impact to people like Morgan, Lewington and who I am very disappointed we have never done more for Jimmy Hill. I emailed the club at the time of his passing but heard nothing back

FortCollinsFulham

Quote from: MrD1879 on November 12, 2017, 10:50:29 AM

This is the answer IMO.

Simon Morgan, for example, is surely much more of a legend in most fans' eyes but he was an average Brummie who played for us when we were rubbish. The tourists the club wants to attract to the hospitality suites won't have heard of him, but they'll have heard of McBride, a US international who played for us in the PL.

(For the record I'm a big fan of McBride; obviously it's not an insult to say someone is less of a legend than Morgan)

Spot on.

Although a huge fan it can only be for the international appeal when you compare his impact to people like Morgan, Lewington and who I am very disappointed we have never done more for Jimmy Hill. I emailed the club at the time of his passing but heard nothing back

Even this is probably a generous number, but I'd say damn near 98% of Americans have absolutely no idea who Brian McBride is, regardless of his high standing with actual football fans. If the two percent of those who do know of him are visiting London and decide to go enjoy some variety of amenity at Craven Cottage it's because they care about/like the Club to some extent, not because it's named McBride's instead or Morgan's or Lewington's.

You'd get more Americans to visit the suite if it was called Beckham's.

I get the points being mentioned but there are not many run-of-the-mill American tourists who are out gallivanting along the Thames who see a "soccer arena" with some signage saying "McBride's" and view all that as a selling point to visit the place.
'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

filham

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on November 11, 2017, 06:52:12 PM

That is so right, a visiting American who lived to all the codes and  attitudes that we value and consider British. To my knowledge he never put a foot wrong and wow did he fight for Fulham on the pitch.

Twig

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on November 12, 2017, 11:35:54 AM

This is the answer IMO.

Spot on.

Even this is probably a generous number, but I'd say damn near 98% of Americans have absolutely no idea who Brian McBride is, regardless of his high standing with actual football fans. If the two percent of those who do know of him are visiting London and decide to go enjoy some variety of amenity at Craven Cottage it's because they care about/like the Club to some extent, not because it's named McBride's instead or Morgan's or Lewington's.

I get the points being mentioned but there are not many run-of-the-mill American tourists who are out gallivanting along the Thames who see a "soccer arena" with some signage saying "McBride's" and view all that as a selling point to visit the place.

Nicely put.  So back to the original question (and I was a huge fan of B M), just why is there a McBride's suite?  No rational reason but merely a sentimental whim perhaps?

MJG

We could argue all day on which player should have a stand, a bar, a drink, a statue or anything after them and a lot of it comes down to the history at the time.

McBrides (named in June 09 by the way) was a nice link to very recent history, yes Morgs could have been better or even Ivor deserved more recognition. To link it to him just being an appeasement/draw to American fans I think is very wrong.
Just the views of a long term fan

YankeeJim

McBride personified Fulham. Not the best. Not the biggest. Not the most talented. But, loyal, honest, hard working, courageous and classy!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

FortCollinsFulham

Quote from: Twig on November 12, 2017, 03:11:13 PM
Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on November 12, 2017, 11:35:54 AM

This is the answer IMO.

Spot on.

Nicely put.  So back to the original question (and I was a huge fan of B M), just why is there a McBride's suite?  No rational reason but merely a sentimental whim perhaps?

Or it's because like many have stated previously in the thread, it's because he's one of the more respected and well regarded professionals we've had at the club in the past couple decades?
'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

aaronmcguigan

-5 seasons at the club
-Player of the Year twice
-Club captain
-was signed as a Saha replacement and lived up to the billing
-One of USAs best exports to the Premier League
-Played a part in great escape
- went out on a high
-was part of the "manager search" committee in 2014, so he's obviously highly thought of around the club
-embodied the values of the club, its tradition and culture.
- is incredibly fond of the club even to this day

All of the above should be enough, we need more players who leave the club loving the club, with the club /fans loving him. That said, would not be adverse of a similar honour bestowing Aaron Hughes and Brede.

copthornemike

Quote from: Newry FFC on November 12, 2017, 07:47:22 PM
-5 seasons at the club
-Player of the Year twice
-Club captain
-One of USAs best exports to the Premier League
-Played a part in great escape
- went out on a high
-was part of the "manager search" committee in 2014, so he's obviously highly thought of around the club
-embodied the values of the club, its tradition and culture.
- is incredibly fond of the club even to this day

All of the above should be enough, we need more players who leave the club loving the club, with the club /fans loving him. That said, would not be adverse of a similar honour bestowing Aaron Hughes and Brede.
Good point about H+H - maybe when the new stand is completed one of the conference suites, bars, etc could be named after the Thames Barrier. Both personified what has been so right about the club, moreso being a partnership in addition to being outstanding individuals!

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Statto on November 12, 2017, 08:03:24 PM
Quote from: Newry FFC on November 12, 2017, 07:47:22 PM

Er... really?

I didn't mean like for like. I meant we lost Saha and gained McBride in the same week in January 2004. He was our figurehead and a leading name, and McBride in replacing him in the lineup ended up as dependable as Saha in winning player of the year twice