watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jimmy Conway

Started by copthornemike, November 13, 2017, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

I recall one or two items about Jimmy Conway and his fight with dementia on the forum in the past.

I just come across this moving article from an Irish site. Although some lovely discussion about his time wity Fulham (came across as a real gent) it is the second half of the article, in which his wife describes on the the effect of the degenerative brain disorder CTE on a once proud and strong man, which makes you pause for thought:

http://www.the42.ie/jimmy-conway-noeleen-conway-3684641-Nov2017/

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Alan Shearer's excellent programme yesterday about the effect of heading the old leather footballs was a real eye opener.
Not that Jimmy Conway headed as much as Jeff Astle or Matt Tees, but neither did Nobby Styles.
As usual the money bags clubs and the FA are still doing very little about it in the modern game.

mrmicawbers

My parents are from Cabra West in Dublin and my late Dads brother knew Jimmy and wrote to Vic Buckingham to make him aware of Jimmy's potential.He got a letter from Mr Buckingham saying Fulham had scouts looking at him and he signed shortly after.Not sure if that had any influence in his signing but like to think so.

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on November 13, 2017, 06:43:43 PM
Alan Shearer's excellent programme yesterday about the effect of heading the old leather footballs was a real eye opener.
Not that Jimmy Conway headed as much as Jeff Astle or Matt Tees, but neither did Nobby Styles.
As usual the money bags clubs and the FA are still doing very little about it in the modern game.

Repaired - LM

mrmicawbers

Not sure what happened there

Fulhamight

Thank you so much for sharing such an insightful piece of journalism. It brought a tear to my eye and you can have nothing but admiration and respect for Jimmy's wife Noeleen and his family. They are bringing forward into public view an issue that must be considered and fully evaluated. Saw Jimmy play most of his Fulham career and he was a great player for us. Good luck and wishing the Conway family well for the future.

filham

Well written by Jimmy's loving wife and what a good job she has done in looking after him.
The book by Jimmy Hills wife also tells a similar sad story abot how Jimmy Hill suffered from the same condition.

A full investigation has to take place on the effects and risks of continually heading a football.

sunburywhite

Really wonderful piece written by a loving wife

Very tearful and sad yet dotted with happiness
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

Should perhaps protective headgear be considered for professional footballers.

peaty

God bless you Jimmy Conway. I remember your magical football 40+ years ago. Like many I suppose on this forum, my and my siblings are dealing with dementia in the family. What a fantastic woman Noeleen Conway is, and what a burden she carries. Here's wishing them both the best of luck, or at least, the minimum of pain and sadness.

RaySmith

All the very best to Jimmy and his family - fond memories of him as a brilliant, pacey  winger, him on one wing, Les Barrett on the other.

Those were the days - thanks.

hovewhite

Its sad that the money and ambitions of the modern game dont get behind this and help.

toshes mate

A thoughtful and profound story about love, sometimes painful, sometimes sad, sometimes inspiring, sometimes humorous, sometimes beautiful. 

I'd love there to be a happy ending for all those who suffer from early onset dementia or any other of the more deeply serious problems that result from playing professional sport.  Hopefully with people like Noeleen and her family around that'll happen sooner rather than later.

Andy S

Very sad indeed. A very good footballer in his day who played with a smile on his face. The story highlights the difficulty of looking after people with dementure of which there are many. So we are all living longer to sit in a chair dribbling. What's the point.