Author Topic: Goodbye Italy!  (Read 1074 times)

Offline JoelH5

• Legend
Goodbye Italy!
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
It was great to watch the last few moments with the Swedes drawing out every foul,  rolling about the floor.... ohh the sweet, sweet irony.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Offline Fulham Tup North

• Jimmy Hill
Re: Goodbye Italy!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:39:38 PM »
 092.gif  They just did not seem like they were going to score tonight. Sweden's time-wasting was so Bolton-esk.
Funny old game!   096.gig
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Offline ex-Pat

• Youth Academy
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:02:56 PM »
Can't believe people would rather have boring Sweden in the world cup, very strange...

Online Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Can't believe people would rather have boring Sweden in the world cup, very strange...

The Swedish people may disagree with you there.
Plus have you seen their women lately.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Offline ScalleysDad

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:54:32 PM »
It has been said many times but 'funny old game'. I can remember at several of the early coaching courses I went on the wannabes turned up in the blue Italia tops with the collar and the coaches and mentors waxed lyrically about the Dutch system.

What next I wonder?  Have to say I am liking the injection of youth into the tired and stale English system.

Offline HatterDon

• Moritz Volz
  • just like that
    • DPH Vocal Ease
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:21:34 AM »
Over here, the consensus team that should miss the tournament rather than Italy is England.

I don't agree with the consensus.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Offline Count Flapula

• tjl
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:15 AM »
Wow - a World Cup without both Italy and the Netherlands.. Never thought I'd see it.

Sweden effectively knocked both out as well!

Offline G_Gribby

• tjl
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:43:39 AM »
Next step is hopefully effectively Fulham FC. Something I would like to see already against Derby.

COYWs!
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Offline JoelH5

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
Over here, the consensus team that should miss the tournament rather than Italy is England.

I don't agree with the consensus.

Why should England miss out? We qualified... properly, not through the playoffs like Italy couldn’t even manage.

See you guys in 2022, if you make that one ;)

Offline JoelH5

• Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 09:11:34 AM »
Wow - a World Cup without both Italy and the Netherlands.. Never thought I'd see it.

Sweden effectively knocked both out as well!

Netherlands have been poor for years. They also missed out on Euro 2016

Offline Holders

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:10 AM »
It has been said many times but 'funny old game'. I can remember at several of the early coaching courses I went on the wannabes turned up in the blue Italia tops with the collar and the coaches and mentors waxed lyrically about the Dutch system.

What next I wonder?  Have to say I am liking the injection of youth into the tired and stale English system.

I wonder if that's a result of the St George's Park initiative.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Online colinwhite

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
As an brit living in sweden i can say that it was quite an achievement for the Swedes. Not many of their starting eleven would get into our Side.

Offline ScalleysDad

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »

It would be a great result if it was. I think Southgate has learned a lesson from his predecessors, indeed he referred to the players getting a chance performing better than some of the established players, in that complacency kills. The performances in qualifying were awful but England are there now so will he adopt a more attacking approach to games? I hope so but it is still very possible the media and expectations will insist on quarter finals or bust and the group stages might revert to grinding out a result.

Having worked through numerous FA reviews from the 90's onwards I hope this is the real deal. The 17's, 19's, 21's and seniors all world class at the same time? It might just make football interesting again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:32:10 PM by ScalleysDad »

Offline epsomraver

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »

It would be a great result if it was. I think Southgate has learned a lesson from his predecessors, indeed he referred to the players getting a chance performing better than some of the established players, in that complacency kills. The performances in qualifying were awful but England are there now so will he adopt a more attacking approach to games? I hope so but it is still very possible the media and expectations will insist on quarter finals or bust and the group stages might revert to grinding out a result.

Having worked through numerous FA reviews from the 90's onwards I hope this is the real deal. The 17's, 19's, 21's and seniors all world class at the same time? It might just make football interesting again.

As long as Southgate gives some of the youngsters a chance,Putting Hart in does not bode well after Pickfords display the other night, we need people who WANT to play for England, still have PRIDE pulling on the shirt

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »

As long as Southgate gives some of the youngsters a chance,Putting Hart in does not bode well after Pickfords display the other night, we need people who WANT to play for England, still have PRIDE pulling on the shirt

Yeah he's gotta drop Hart for Pickford. Hart is over the hill and the lesser player.