watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goodbye Italy!

Started by JoelH5, November 13, 2017, 10:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

It was great to watch the last few moments with the Swedes drawing out every foul,  rolling about the floor.... ohh the sweet, sweet irony.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Fulham Tup North

092.gif  They just did not seem like they were going to score tonight. Sweden's time-wasting was so Bolton-esk.
Funny old game!   096.gig
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

ex-Pat

Can't believe people would rather have boring Sweden in the world cup, very strange...

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ex-Pat on November 13, 2017, 11:02:56 PM
Can't believe people would rather have boring Sweden in the world cup, very strange...

The Swedish people may disagree with you there.
Plus have you seen their women lately.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ScalleysDad

It has been said many times but 'funny old game'. I can remember at several of the early coaching courses I went on the wannabes turned up in the blue Italia tops with the collar and the coaches and mentors waxed lyrically about the Dutch system.

What next I wonder?  Have to say I am liking the injection of youth into the tired and stale English system.

HatterDon

Over here, the consensus team that should miss the tournament rather than Italy is England.

I don't agree with the consensus.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Count Flapula

Wow - a World Cup without both Italy and the Netherlands.. Never thought I'd see it.

Sweden effectively knocked both out as well!

G_Gribby

Next step is hopefully effectively Fulham FC. Something I would like to see already against Derby.

COYWs!
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

JoelH5

Quote from: HatterDon on November 14, 2017, 12:21:34 AM
Over here, the consensus team that should miss the tournament rather than Italy is England.

I don't agree with the consensus.

Why should England miss out? We qualified... properly, not through the playoffs like Italy couldn't even manage.

See you guys in 2022, if you make that one ;)

JoelH5

Quote from: Count Flapula on November 14, 2017, 02:24:15 AM
Wow - a World Cup without both Italy and the Netherlands.. Never thought I'd see it.

Sweden effectively knocked both out as well!

Netherlands have been poor for years. They also missed out on Euro 2016

Holders

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 13, 2017, 11:54:32 PM
It has been said many times but 'funny old game'. I can remember at several of the early coaching courses I went on the wannabes turned up in the blue Italia tops with the collar and the coaches and mentors waxed lyrically about the Dutch system.

What next I wonder?  Have to say I am liking the injection of youth into the tired and stale English system.

I wonder if that's a result of the St George's Park initiative.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

colinwhite

As an brit living in sweden i can say that it was quite an achievement for the Swedes. Not many of their starting eleven would get into our Side.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Holders on November 14, 2017, 09:59:10 AM

It would be a great result if it was. I think Southgate has learned a lesson from his predecessors, indeed he referred to the players getting a chance performing better than some of the established players, in that complacency kills. The performances in qualifying were awful but England are there now so will he adopt a more attacking approach to games? I hope so but it is still very possible the media and expectations will insist on quarter finals or bust and the group stages might revert to grinding out a result.

Having worked through numerous FA reviews from the 90's onwards I hope this is the real deal. The 17's, 19's, 21's and seniors all world class at the same time? It might just make football interesting again.

epsomraver

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 14, 2017, 12:22:54 PM

It would be a great result if it was. I think Southgate has learned a lesson from his predecessors, indeed he referred to the players getting a chance performing better than some of the established players, in that complacency kills. The performances in qualifying were awful but England are there now so will he adopt a more attacking approach to games? I hope so but it is still very possible the media and expectations will insist on quarter finals or bust and the group stages might revert to grinding out a result.

Having worked through numerous FA reviews from the 90's onwards I hope this is the real deal. The 17's, 19's, 21's and seniors all world class at the same time? It might just make football interesting again.

As long as Southgate gives some of the youngsters a chance,Putting Hart in does not bode well after Pickfords display the other night, we need people who WANT to play for England, still have PRIDE pulling on the shirt

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: epsomraver on November 14, 2017, 12:45:23 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 14, 2017, 12:22:54 PM

As long as Southgate gives some of the youngsters a chance,Putting Hart in does not bode well after Pickfords display the other night, we need people who WANT to play for England, still have PRIDE pulling on the shirt

Yeah he's gotta drop Hart for Pickford. Hart is over the hill and the lesser player.

Neil D

The Gazzetta dello Sport comments favourably on England's successful 'under' teams and suggests that this is the way forward on how to build for the future.  Dumping the clueless Ventura is at least an upside for the national team going forward.

jarv

I watched both legs and started rooting for the swedes when Italy got up to all their old cheating tricks in the first leg. Very poor from them. The second leg, the Italians were simply out coached.

YankeeJim

With the Dutch out, there won't be any "total" football. Not that its done them, Arsenal or us much good. With Italy out, there won't be as many Oscar awards for diving and knee grabbing. With the US out, there will be a shortage of teams for me to support. England has always been a favorite of mine, even if they are boring to watch (sorry). Guess I'll watch you lot and maybe find a dark horse to ride. Costa Rico anyone?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Woolly Mammoth

I thought the USA had a case to appeal against the goal that never was in that Panama game, whereupon, the Panama goal never crossed the line.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 14, 2017, 05:06:19 PM
I thought the USA had a case to appeal against the goal that never was in that Panama game, whereupon, the Panama goal never crossed the line.

Yeah, it was fraud but it's been brought to light in the Panama papers ;)