watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goodbye Italy!

Started by JoelH5, November 13, 2017, 10:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Italy may be naughty boys with their theatrics. However I like them, they bring something different to the game with there cagey, streetwise style.

Neil D

Quote from: jarv on November 14, 2017, 02:49:09 PM
I watched both legs and started rooting for the swedes when Italy got up to all their old cheating tricks in the first leg. Very poor from them.
As opposed to the nose-breaking Swedes?  That said, Italy were inept and, in the first leg at least, short of ambition and and a simple desire to win.  They deserved to fail.

westcliff white

I'd rather Italy than Sweden personally
Every day is a Fulham day

filham

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on November 14, 2017, 05:55:40 PM
Italy may be naughty boys with their theatrics. However I like them, they bring something different to the game with there cagey, streetwise style.
Italy will be missed in the final, they were the team a lot of us watched in the hope of seeing them beaten.

Bertie Wooster

I am an Italian cottager....
This is our punishment for all those pencils stolen at Ikea.....

Bertie Wooster

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 14, 2017, 05:00:47 PM
With the Dutch out, there won't be any "total" football. Not that its done them, Arsenal or us much good. With Italy out, there won't be as many Oscar awards for diving and knee grabbing. With the US out, there will be a shortage of teams for me to support. England has always been a favorite of mine, even if they are boring to watch (sorry). Guess I'll watch you lot and maybe find a dark horse to ride. Costa Rico anyone?

How many common places....
Italy won four times the World Cup by diving then?

YankeeJim

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 14, 2017, 05:06:19 PM
I thought the USA had a case to appeal against the goal that never was in that Panama game, whereupon, the Panama goal never crossed the line.

US win an appeal against a Latin country in COCACAF?   064.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 14, 2017, 11:44:28 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 14, 2017, 05:06:19 PM
I thought the USA had a case to appeal against the goal that never was in that Panama game, whereupon, the Panama goal never crossed the line.

US win an appeal against a Latin country in COCACAF?   064.gif

I take your point, but it is so wrong, bordering on corruption.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Carborundum

I cling to the hope that at some point in my lifetime, England win the World Cup so that me and those whom I love, including those who don't normally like football, get to go joyously nuts for some hours, perhaps days.  Italy's elimination improves that prospect by a small fraction.  So it's a good thing. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Carborundum on November 15, 2017, 09:23:32 AM
I cling to the hope that at some point in my lifetime, England win the World Cup so that me and those whom I love, including those who don't normally like football, get to go joyously nuts for some hours, perhaps days.  Italy's elimination improves that prospect by a small fraction.  So it's a good thing. 

I was at Wembley in 1966, and I can assure you that at the time it felt better than sex.

Never forget your Roots.

SG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 15, 2017, 09:37:50 AM

I was at Wembley in 1966, and I can assure you that at the time it felt better than sex.
And it lasted longer  :dft011:

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: SG on November 15, 2017, 12:36:16 PM

Yes it most certainly did, that's the story of my life.

Never forget your Roots.

Carborundum

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 15, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
Quote from: SG on November 15, 2017, 12:36:16 PM

Yes it most certainly did, that's the story of my life.
I'm beginning to regret using the construct "me and those whom I love"

cmg

With the Dutch out, there won't be any "total" football. Not that its done them, Arsenal or us much good....

In the short term, recently, I'm sure you are right.
But it seems odd to an ancient like me to read that 'total football' has not done the Dutch much good.
When they introduced the idea it elevated the Netherlands from a football backwater to one of the top nations in World football. It showed how the largely defensive tactics prevalent at the time, perfected, ironically, by Italy, could be overcome.
It took the football world by storm and was wondrous to behold. Even the Brazilians were impressed (although they, themselves had been playing a sort of 'total football' for some years) and the ideas of Rinuus Michels, as developed by Cruyff, were influential right down to the present day Barcelona.
Of course it helped to have a supply of super-talented players to make the system possible. Attacking systems usually give rise to more defensive ones in order to negate them that, and fewer talented players emerging, has led to reduced status of the once mighty Dutch.

cmg

Quote from: Statto on November 15, 2017, 02:36:59 PM

...."total" football"....

All Credited in no small part to vic Buckingham, many posters' choice on our "least favourite managers" thread

Yes. Vic can be manager of the Fulham "great elsewhere but no use to us" XI.
Plenty of candidates from Archibald to Zuberhuber.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Bertie Wooster on November 14, 2017, 10:32:57 PM
With the Dutch out, there won't be any "total" football. Not that its done them, Arsenal or us much good. With Italy out, there won't be as many Oscar awards for diving and knee grabbing. With the US out, there will be a shortage of teams for me to support. England has always been a favorite of mine, even if they are boring to watch (sorry). Guess I'll watch you lot and maybe find a dark horse to ride. Costa Rico anyone?

How many common places....
Italy won four times the World Cup by diving then?

They would call it"gamesmanship"  and given the ref, can be effective which is why it is done. To me, its especially sad that a nation which such a surplus of talent still feels the need to cheat. Winning at any cost rings hollow to me. When the ref makes a mistakes such as NI v Swiss, that's one thing but to win it because your striker grabbed a knee is not worth celebrating. 

Bertie Wooster

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 15, 2017, 05:37:59 PM
To me, its especially sad that a nation which such a surplus of talent still feels the need to cheat. Winning at any cost rings hollow to me. When the ref makes a mistakes such as NI v Swiss, that's one thing but to win it because your striker grabbed a knee is not worth celebrating. 

It is incredible that you are entitled to write such stupid comments on this beautiful forum.
In your opinion Italians do need to cheat to win.
It would be interesting to understand on which bases your opinion is founded.
Probably you support Fulham only for Brian Mc Bride so you do not remember the last time that an American  manager won the PL.
Ok, never.
And an English?
Meanwhile two Italian managers, two gentlemen like Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Mancini, won it.
Without cheating.
Another true gentleman, Gianfranco Zola, won trophies at Chelsea without cheating, according to Queen Elizabeth that awarded  him an OBE.
Another gentleman, Gianluca Vialli, won trophies at Chelsea as well, but surely for you he is a cheater.
If there is an English player crude and violent (Joey Barton?) I do not think all English players are like him.
I am not nationalist at all, infact I support an English team and to follow it I spend for every game more than an English fan for a season ticket, but let me tell you that you should rinse  your mouth when you talk about a nation that won 4 World Cups, you will never win one.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Bertie Wooster on November 15, 2017, 08:52:58 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on November 15, 2017, 05:37:59 PM
To me, its especially sad that a nation which such a surplus of talent still feels the need to cheat. Winning at any cost rings hollow to me. When the ref makes a mistakes such as NI v Swiss, that's one thing but to win it because your striker grabbed a knee is not worth celebrating. 

It is incredible that you are entitled to write such stupid comments on this beautiful forum.
In your opinion Italians do need to cheat to win.
It would be interesting to understand on which bases your opinion is founded.
Probably you support Fulham only for Brian Mc Bride so you do not remember the last time that an American  manager won the PL.
Ok, never.
And an English?
Meanwhile two Italian managers, two gentlemen like Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Mancini, won it.
Without cheating.
Another true gentleman, Gianfranco Zola, won trophies at Chelsea without cheating, according to Queen Elizabeth that awarded  him an OBE.
Another gentleman, Gianluca Vialli, won trophies at Chelsea as well, but surely for you he is a cheater.
If there is an English player crude and violent (Joey Barton?) I do not think all English players are like him.
I am not nationalist at all, infact I support an English team and to follow it I spend for every game more than an English fan for a season ticket, but let me tell you that you should rinse  your mouth when you talk about a nation that won 4 World Cups, you will never win one.

Damn if I didn't hit someone's sore spot. Ignorant as well. Read posts before you slander them. I never said that Italy needed to cheat to win. I find it sad that with their excess of talent, its very sad that they still cheat. Another poster referenced the sense of fair play that we Americans learned from the English. That is what I'm stressing. I want to win on the up and up. Perhaps English isn't your first language. If so, I apologize for replying in kind.
As to America winning a WC, well, stranger things have happened. Our best athletics go into other sports. American football is on the decline and immigrants to America mostly come from Latin countries so as well as knowing how to grab a knee they can play the game. The future is bright for us. For that matter, the average American over 40 was never exposed to the beautiful game. Since 1992, when our football history really began, we have come a long way. I'm 70 and I will see the US win a WC.
So, let me leave a quute: "It is incredible that you are entitled to write such stupid comments on this beautiful forum."

BTW, chelscum cheats.

Bertie Wooster

Oooooh, sorry for my poor English Professor Jim.

I thought that writing
"sad that a nation which such a surplus of talent still feels the need to cheat. Winning at any cost rings hollow to me",
meant
that Italy need a cheat to win.
But surely I' m wrong.
You are American.
You are fair.
You know everything.
Since 1492.
When America was discovered.
By an Italian.
Full of talent.
But cheater. He thought that it was India!
Tell me the first time you will attend a football game. Live.
Cheers.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Bertie Wooster on November 15, 2017, 09:37:30 PM
Oooooh, sorry for my poor English Professor Jim.

I thought that writing
"sad that a nation which such a surplus of talent still feels the need to cheat. Winning at any cost rings hollow to me",
meant
that Italy need a cheat to win.
But surely I' m wrong.
You are American.
You are fair.
You know everything.
Since 1492.
When America was discovered.
By an Italian.
Full of talent.
But cheater. He thought that it was India!
Tell me the first time you will attend a football game. Live.
Cheers.

Course, old Chris did have to use a Spanish ship. Guess the yard arm was "injured". As a side note, it is generally accepted by historians that he never landed on this country but on the nearby islands; likely Dominica. I wonder if he took an Italian chef on that ship? You Italians certainly would win the cooking world cup and you wouldn't even have to grab your spatula and roll on the ground to do it. As to seeing a match live, I played in one before I saw one. I didn't know how to dribble or grab my knee and not many others did either, but that was 1971 and I was in college.
Anyway, peace. We shouldn't argue amongst ourselves. The club has enough problems as it is. Welcome to the forum.