https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Arrogant match tactics?

Started by BedsFFC, November 16, 2017, 01:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: MrD1879 on November 16, 2017, 06:03:19 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on November 16, 2017, 05:38:40 PM
The type of plan b many are advocating ie going direct to a big man in the last 15 minutes is not only not playing to our strengths but definitely giving our opponents the type of game in which THEY feel most comfortable.
Teams worked us out in that case by last christmas but that didnt stop us from being the best team in the division from december to May.

Being more direct and not farting around suicidelly at the back does not mean you have to play to a big target man.  :dead horse: aaaaaaaaaaaagggagagaghhhhhh

I'm glad I got that out of my system  093.gif
you say that, but that's almost certainly what many mean and call for those type of players.
We have so much pressure at the end of games because of the way we play. We don't need to go direct, what we do need to do is increase urgency and intensity.
Just lumping the ball in is meat and drink for most championship teams.
Just the views of a long term fan

Whitesideup

Quote from: MJG on November 16, 2017, 06:09:55 PM
The type of plan b many are advocating ie going direct to a big man in the last 15 minutes is not only not playing to our strengths but definitely giving our opponents the type of game in which THEY feel most comfortable.
Teams worked us out in that case by last christmas but that didnt stop us from being the best team in the division from december to May.

Being more direct and not farting around suicidelly at the back does not mean you have to play to a big target man.  :dead horse: aaaaaaaaaaaagggagagaghhhhhh

you say that, but that's almost certainly what many mean and call for those type of players.
We have so much pressure at the end of games because of the way we play. We don't need to go direct, what we do need to do is increase urgency and intensity.
That Mr MJG is a good point, well made. Thank you.

colinwhite

Alot of it is down to our final pass, particularly from wide positions. we are very wasteful after getting ourselves into good positions.Cant actually remember conceding any goals this season from overplaying at the back.

Riversider

e

For the love of God, No it isn't !

MJG

Quote from: Riversider on November 16, 2017, 08:54:15 PM

e

For the love of God, No it isn't !
well we will disagree then. I've given my reasoning behind my comments so I believe it is.
Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

Ok lets play the ball into the opponents Half over their back four and sit back and try to win the ball back in order to hit them on the break. Sounds to me a bit like the footboll Kit Symons  got us playing.

filham

One win in eight games at the Cottage, how many more games do we have to suffer without a home win before Jocanovic decides a slight change to his tactics will have to be made.

Arthur

Quote from: toshes mate on November 16, 2017, 05:37:16 PM
In sport practice makes perfect and I don't think we need a plan 'B' because we haven't yet managed to play plan 'A' at the level of last season.  Football is simple - keep the ball and outscore the opposition.  SJ managed to get the team to show discipline, skill, trust and self-belief in a demonstration of flair passing even when we were not winning games last season.  We haven't managed it this time around primarily because the players at SJ's disposal haven't been good enough to do it on match days.   

If and when the players manage to do it again, teams will not find it any easier to breakdown, or be able to press us into mistakes, than it was to do it last season because clever possession football is exceedingly difficult to defend against especially when you have potential goalscorers everywhere.

Well put.

Quote from: filham on November 16, 2017, 10:04:10 PM
One win in eight games at the Cottage, how many more games do we have to suffer without a home win before Jocanovic decides a slight change to his tactics will have to be made.

Jokanovic made a significant tactical change for our last home game: we played the opening forty-five with three central defenders and Fredericks and Sessegnon further up the flanks. As Tosh's Mate points out, tactics don't yield the same for all teams at all times - they are still dependent upon the ability and/or current form of the players who are implementing them.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Arthur on November 17, 2017, 02:20:10 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on November 16, 2017, 05:37:16 PM
In sport practice makes perfect and I don't think we need a plan 'B' because we haven't yet managed to play plan 'A' at the level of last season.  Football is simple - keep the ball and outscore the opposition.  SJ managed to get the team to show discipline, skill, trust and self-belief in a demonstration of flair passing even when we were not winning games last season.  We haven't managed it this time around primarily because the players at SJ's disposal haven't been good enough to do it on match days.   

If and when the players manage to do it again, teams will not find it any easier to breakdown, or be able to press us into mistakes, than it was to do it last season because clever possession football is exceedingly difficult to defend against especially when you have potential goalscorers everywhere.

Well put.

Quote from: filham on November 16, 2017, 10:04:10 PM

Jokanovic made a significant tactical change for our last home game: we played the opening forty-five with three central defenders and Fredericks and Sessegnon further up the flanks. As Tosh's Mate points out, tactics don't yield the same for all teams at all times - they are still dependent upon the ability and/or current form of the players who are implementing them.

and just as important is the application and the commitment and the attitude of the players, not forgetting the work rate by each player, who should be motivated to run through a brick wall, and come out fighting on the other side.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Once an individual masters the skills the coaches teach you, discipline, self-belief, trust and confidence builds up over time with each of your team mates naturally and instinctively stronger with some than with others and application, commitment, attitude and work rate rises exponentially as each 'new' partnership is forged with those who are more difficult to assimilate into the overall team chemistry. 

Relationship chemistry is the stuff of all team sport.  In the game of football, with its natural freedom to explore areas of the pitch your position may suggest you shouldn't venture into, and yet all those chemical co-dependencies remain the same no matter which blades of grass are under your feet.  We can all make relationships work if we really want to and it is wanting to that brings the desired end product.  The team agenda from the cleaners and tea makers upwards has to be in tune with chemistry that works.

What changes when relationships are perfected in a team is its support network which relies on all those practice games, all the changing room banter, all the private words, all the shaken hands, all the arms around shoulders, all the wiped tears, all the laughter, all the apologies, all the healing and healed wounds, which discipline has taught you are so important to stopping any enemy from being able to create a division in your ranks.   A team that cannot be divided or permanently hurt is the prize that any team coach aims for.  SJ got close last season and I have a feeling he can get closer to perfection if only the upper echelons could see the role they have to play for him in building a team that cannot be broken.