watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chris Martin welcome

Started by copthornemike, November 17, 2017, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

Doubt that he will be in the starting 11 on Saturday - but I suspect that derby will be tempted to bring in on if things are not going too well in the second half.

I am sure that the boo boys will be out in force just for something to do - which I suspect may only serve to motivate him.

I suspect that a stony silence would be the most sensible and appropriate welcome back message.

Mince n Tatties

Could do with him playing up front for us tomorrow.🐸

filham

I am strongly in favour of the stony silence, that has the best chance of doing us any good.

Southcoastffc

Won't happen but the best welcome would be uproarious laughter.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lighthouse

He behaved appallingly but what is worse is the club didn't replace him. The thought that he will not start for Derby but we are in need of one decent striker is gutting.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SP

If he's being paid the reported £28K a week then he's winning all the way to the bank.

Woolly Mammoth

Chris Martin is the least of our worries. It's how we play that concerns me, and who the starting 11 is, because how many new players that were signed in the summer will start tomorrow, one, two maybe three, but only because of suspension and injury.
That's why we are where we are. We have slipped backwards. Not one player signed in the summer has nailed down a place of their own. What does that tell you. I am not going to spell it out.
The new players are currently not good enough, and how many are Joks choice.  The League Table does not lie, 4 wins in 16, it's a pantomime. Talking about Pantomimes, we  even have Buttons in goal, and he has been one of our more consistent players, which tells you more about some of the new players, than it does about our Goalkeeper.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

copthornemike

In the end Rowett's decision to replace Vyddra with Martin appeared to be a poor decision in hindsight.
Vyddra was much more effective, certainly more mobile, and proving to be a handful in that early spell of the second half when Derby gained momentum.
No evidence at all that buying Martin would have been anywhere near sensible, in fact would appear to have been a very expensive mistake, despite our current lack of an effective forward.

Horsfield_No9

I think Martin only touched the ball once. I'm counting by the times he was booed. Once coming on and then once more when he picked up the ball out wide.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Andy S

The punters pay their money. The punters will decide

Keynsham

I wonder if anyone has ever bought a pizza, thought it was rubbish and then stood outside Dominos booing.

New Kid on the Block

Given that we are hearing, little by little, the turmoil that was swirling around the club at the time, I think booing Martin on Saturday was a) harsh and b) extremely childish.

It would appear that Martin was being a prima donna, but he may well simply have been stitched up by Stats Boy, and was mislead before he joined us. He may have had a legitimate gripe.

Unless, and until, we know exactly what was going on behind the scenes, during his time here, we should keep our views on the forum, and not at the ground.

How useful would his goals have been for us so far this season.

ThisIsntAJok

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on November 20, 2017, 03:18:15 PM
Given that we are hearing, little by little, the turmoil that was swirling around the club at the time, I think booing Martin on Saturday was a) harsh and b) extremely childish.

It would appear that Martin was being a prima donna, but he may well simply have been stitched up by Stats Boy, and was mislead before he joined us. He may have had a legitimate gripe.

Unless, and until, we know exactly what was going on behind the scenes, during his time here, we should keep our views on the forum, and not at the ground.

How useful would his goals have been for us so far this season.

Martin is exactly the player we missed on Saturday, a number 9 who lingers in the box and is able to finish off the many balls we put into the box. We need him now more than ever, and since he seemed to be a player that Jok wanted, we shouldn't blame him. Any chance that we had of signing him back (which was slim), the booing would not have convinced him to give us another chance.

Mullers OG

Martin may have behaved in a way which upset almost every FFC supporter last year but it was noticeable that nearly every Fulham player went up to him and embraced him at the end of the game. 

His loss to the team this year has been immeasurable.  Week after week crosses come over and there is no-one in the box to finish them off.  A no. 9 is an essential in the transfer market.  At the beginning of last season Martin looked to be the ideal signing.  It is a tragedy for the club that it didn't work out. 

Onwards and upwards - just find us a new and proper no.9

MikeW

Can't imagine anybody not venting their anger at Martin.  He's had his day (a brief period in the spotlight) and is now in a long queue of 'had it' pro's taking their final pay day - very nice to, thank you very much.

His attitude towards Fulham was dreadful. Sorry Statto but you are an apologist for a bloke who is a waster.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

MikeW

I do, absolutely.  Just happy we got lots of dosh for them.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

alfie

Quote from: MikeW on November 20, 2017, 03:54:37 PM
Can't imagine anybody not venting their anger at Martin.  He's had his day (a brief period in the spotlight) and is now in a long queue of 'had it' pro's taking their final pay day - very nice to, thank you very much.

His attitude towards Fulham was dreadful. Sorry Statto but you are an apologist for a bloke who is a waster.
r
Venting their anger at the time fair enough, but it is all done and dusted, I do not blame him for wanting to go back to Derby, but I reckon he was highly influenced by Macclaren and his agent.
That is just my opinion.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

HatterDon

I did get a chuckle when the announcer said that Martin played for us last season as was "very popular with the supporters."

When Martin came on a good bit later, the announcer was quite surprised at his "welcome."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cmg

Quote from: Statto on November 20, 2017, 03:30:57 PM
should also say, as i did on another thread, baird handballed a powerful shot in the box toward the end then spent 30 seconds rubbing his face as if it hit him there, conning us out of a penatly in a way that would have impressed rivaldo and harold pinter i imagine... yet he still got a big clap off our fans at the end... fair enough for his services around 2009 and 2010 but not a total saint clearly

He was certainly a Saint before he signed for us.

Jonaldiniho 88

Players get better when they don't play. Martin, (and not in my opinion by choice) was never there tapping in crosses. He was wasted. We used him as a sacrificial player to hold the ball up and occupy their centre backs. At first I felt sorry for him. After his strike I didn't. He would be a massive addition to almost any team in this league. Shame it didn't work out. McCormack was immense for us because we gave him everything he wanted at the expense of the team. I don't think Martin was helped out at all.

I may just be a mug but although martin's actions were very distispectful I honestly think he just wanted to move back to where his kids were at school and were happy. Footballers do have the same problems as us. All the money in the world can't make a dad do what he thinks is worse for his family.