watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Get in the ********** box

Started by MrD1879, November 18, 2017, 08:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrD1879

Much improved today but why do we not get men in to the box poor fred wips in countless balls and we have 1 man in there and he's stood at the back post! So frustrating to watch both Fonte and AK were criminal for it.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes there were plenty of delivery's and crosses from both left and right. But nobody in the penalty area.
I do not see the point of playing Fonte in this system, plus he is too lightweight most of the time. As for AK he appears to be on another wave length at times.
Surely we must have better players in the Academy that warrent a chance.
I am sure they would have more to offer, they couldn't do any worse.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2017, 08:26:49 PM
Fonte is almost past the point of no return, I can only see him going the same way as Jozabed now

Good performance from the other players IMO, with Chris Martin instead of Fonte we'd have won that 3-0

Errr no idea how you have worked this one out (the second part)
STH H3

Mince n Tatties

Fonte is almost past the point of no return, I can only see him going the same way as Jozabed now

Good performance from the other players IMO, with Chris Martin instead of Fonte we'd have won that 3-0

Agree.
We must be the only team in all 4 divisions whose so called strikers don't score goals...Desperate.

Robbie

Yes, a real lack of basic footballing intelligence. Two perfect crosses with no FFC on the end AND Ayite again missing open goals !

filham

With Cauley Woodrow instead of Fonte we would have been in with half a chance.

Matt10

This criticism on Fonte is getting old. We all saw what we are truly capable of in the last 25 minutes of the match. Those crosses, those balls across the six, that's what we should be doing when Fonte is in the match. Problem was, he wasn't, he was taken out. Didn't have a bad touch except ONCE all match. His movement off the ball not only set up Sess' chance (from a glorious through ball by TC), and then him drawing fouls in critical areas helped our momentum - not to mention eventually leading to our goal mind you.

Whether we have Martin, Kamara or Fonte in the spot, it doesn't matter if we don't cross the ball or send it into the box to start with. Fredericks is the biggest high and low player. He can create so much, but opts to take on players 80% of the time. It slows everything down tremendously, and now we're at the mercy of him beating his man. By then our runs off the ball are staggered and stalled.

Again, people need to stop blaming Fonte for not being given the service. He is working very hard off the ball, and I think it's highly unfair the way he's being judged based on the service that no striker in any league would want. I hope we keep the play that we did in the last 25 mins of this match, as it had everything we have been begging for. Looking forward to Tuesday!

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2017, 10:42:31 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on November 18, 2017, 10:31:14 PM
This criticism on Fonte is getting old. We all saw what we are truly capable of in the last 25 minutes of the match. Those crosses, those balls across the six, that's what we should be doing when Fonte is in the match. Problem was, he wasn't, he was taken out.

Half of that good stuff at the end was because Kamara was doing what Fonte didn't - pressuring the defenders when they had the ball, running into spaces and pulling them out of position, holding the ball and laying it off or playing other people in. Fonte did *not* by any stretch of the imagination work hard today. I have a desk-based office job and I bet I burn more calories in a typical hour than he did today.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you'd probably stick to it if I drew out a highlight clip of all the things you say he didn't do. I wouldn't defend the player if I didn't see these things. You're choosing your stance and sticking to it, fine. There's no point in arguing because you see what you want.

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2017, 10:48:49 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on November 18, 2017, 10:45:36 PM
This criticism on Fonte is getting old. We all saw what we are truly capable of in the last 25 minutes of the match. Those crosses, those balls across the six, that's what we should be doing when Fonte is in the match. Problem was, he wasn't, he was taken out.

Half of that good stuff at the end was because Kamara was doing what Fonte didn't - pressuring the defenders when they had the ball, running into spaces and pulling them out of position, holding the ball and laying it off or playing other people in. Fonte did *not* by any stretch of the imagination work hard today. I have a desk-based office job and I bet I burn more calories in a typical hour than he did today.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you'd probably stick to it if I drew out a highlight clip of all the things you say he didn't do. I wouldn't defend the player if I didn't see these things. You're choosing your stance and sticking to it, fine. There's no point in arguing because you see what you want.

Lol. "you're entitled to your opinion... but it's wrong and mine is right." how very open minded and reasonable of you.

no doubt if you sit down with the 90 minute video tomorrow you'll find a brief clip of him jogging briskly somewhere. if that makes you happy, go for it.

personally i was at the game so i don't need to watch a re-run, or listen to someone who wasn't even there telling me what happened

No, I just believe that the video doesn't lie. It's simple as that. No worries though. Hope he proves a lot wrong when he starts getting the service.

Twig

To me this "Fonte doesn't get the service" is just nonsense.  There were several crosses before he was subbed and he was simply nowhere near.  He just doesn't get into the box.  Now perhaps he needs a different kind of service; through balls so he can run off the shoulder of the centre back?  Except I've seen little evidence of that in his game.  So please explain to me exactly what sort of service does he require to show his match winning qualities because I can't see it. 

Woolly Mammoth

The only service Fonte hasn't had is room service.
I do not know what more can be done to accommodate him.
How much did you say he cost the club, or will cost the club, because he isn't punching his weight to justify starting.
Jok replaced him because he was once again ineffective.
I am not sure he fancies getting in the mix where it hurts and where defenders will give him a hard time. He flatters to deceive. Some people might say he seems to disappear as though he doesn't particularly want the ball, stands next to his marker so nobody passes to him.
Because what other reason is there that he isn't in the box when the ball is delivered into the penalty area. In fact is he actually on the pitch when the ball is crossed into the box.
Some cynics might say, he doesn't fancy the physical nature and culture of our football, and the evidence is mounting up that this is the case.
They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek him nearly everywhere.
Is he the Scarlet Pimpernel ?

Never forget your Roots.

Nero

I think a lot of the problem is confidence, players aren't getting into the box like last year they seem to be frightened of we going to lose it and the other team counter-attack and score. If we where on a run bet we would have won 3-1 yesterday but the player are thinking about not losing instead of winning and holding off runs into the box they where making last year

hovewhite

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2017, 10:48:49 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on November 18, 2017, 10:45:36 PM

Lol. "you're entitled to your opinion... but it's wrong and mine is right." how very open minded and reasonable of you.

no doubt if you sit down with the 90 minute video tomorrow you'll find a brief clip of him jogging briskly somewhere. if that makes you happy, go for it.

personally i was at the game so i don't need to watch a re-run, or listen to someone who wasn't even there telling me what happened
Ha ha,pistols at dawn chaps lol

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

crying out for Matt Smith yesterday
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Jims Dentist

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 19, 2017, 01:13:57 PM
You could probably go down to league 1 and pick up a big striker who can be found in the box and he would be more effective than what we have at the moment.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jims Dentist on November 19, 2017, 07:10:40 PM
You could probably go down to league 1 and pick up a big striker who can be found in the box and he would be more effective than what we have at the moment.

I totally agree

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Matt caused us a lot of problems when he came on at the end of the QPR game, which nearly led to them getting a result.

Did we really threaten Derby's goal on Saturday, despite all our, often brilliant, attacking play, and getting balls into the box constantly?

But I thought Kamara did well when he came on, and had a good go.

De la Torre also  posed a  goal threat - may have  even looked the most dangerous of our attackers, always trying to create something.

MrD1879

Whoever plays up top needs to be told to play in the width of the 18 yard box and to get across the front post when we are wide. It happened so many times Saturday that a ball was cut out at the front post with no one around. The one time it didn't Ayite managed to put it in to orbit from 6 yards.

toshes mate

Quote from: MrD1879 on November 20, 2017, 06:12:31 AM
Whoever plays up top needs to be told to play in the width of the 18 yard box and to get across the front post when we are wide. It happened so many times Saturday that a ball was cut out at the front post with no one around. The one time it didn't Ayite managed to put it in to orbit from 6 yards.

Yeah but Ayite really has to motor to get into the position to actually have a go.  But it least he gets there and has a go.

MJG

Why?

We were putting the ball in by playing football and low crosses etc. Many saying they need to attack the box. We are doing that, we are stronger as the game goes on.

Like it not with a big man (Matt Smith or any BIG No9) you end up lobbing the ball in from the halfway line. Anyone who thinks we would not do that is mistaken i'm sorry.
The dream is of having wingers getting to the byline and whipping the ball in and the big man heading it in, great idea.
But as I say thats not what happens. What happened with Smith is if Kalas had the ball on Halfway line for example, Smith then runs back to the left hand side of the pitch on the edge of the box say and Kalas lumps it in. Maybe bring back Kit as thats what we did under him.

Just the views of a long term fan