News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This season and it's failures are so blindingly obvious...

Started by General, November 19, 2017, 02:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

I can't for the life of me understand why people genuinely try and go deeper with it.

In the summer we lost, Martin (10 goals and a few assists), Aluko (10 goals and 10 assists), Malone (7 goals and a few assists)..

Since this season has started we've been without Piazon (6 goals and a few assists) and had Cairney (our player of the year) only able to play 6 out of 17 games (see how instrumental he was today in playing telling passes in the final third) and even today we were missing both Stefan Johansen and Mcdonald...

most games this season we have been playing with around 5 - 6 players from last years team... and the main area we're struggling in - is the final third and scoring goals.

We have the most draws in the championship, the 2nd highest % for posession in the league and passing accuracy too. Our tactics haven't been figured out, Slavisa is still managing the team to have the better of most teams in the league, minus the odd blip - but people are being frustrated by the results...

That said, we're SIX points from the playoff places, Piazon, Cairney and Mcdonald are all coming back and hopefully - and I desperately mean this, in January we will go back into the tranfser market and buy proven / top players for this league (especially up front).. and probably spending money similar to that we received for Sone (why we let him go I don't think I'll ever really know).

The real essence of our poor form is simply our attacking players are shadows in comparison to those we had available at our disposal last year and Slavisa had too. Kline is and perhaps Tony Khan - almost entirely at fault for that.. including maybe Macintosh.

Today we comfortably held Derby who are on fine form, especially away from home and tried fielding Weimann, Martin, Vydra and Nugent - who we just passed around... We have this, we need to be more confident in our team and what they can accomplish and pressure Khan to finally give Slavisa what he asks for and wants when it comes to transfers.

We still have every chance of making the playoffs and getting promoted, we just need to believe and realise that we still have the core of a very good team, which needs one or two fine tweaks.

Anyway - Well done to the guys, well done to Slavisa - pick your heads up, especially Sessegnon who clearly knows getting robbed for the ball saw them score and took it to heart. You've got this guys... you know something weird and off is going on, but it's only a few 1%'s that need adjusting.

In slav, in Fulham we trust.

General

Also - can I say how bloody good it was to see Edun and Della Torre on the pitch - the fact we fielded them against a championship team and players like Hudddlestone et al and they held there own and looked like they had more in their locker is a great sign... both for the professionals they may become, but also the way Slavisa's got everyone singing off the same hymnsheet.

VegasFulham

I thought Edun was our best player at times. And LDLT looked really good when he came on. Exciting stuff for the future. Good to know that even if we lose Sess then we will probably get £25+m for him AND we have players like LDLT, Edun and his twin brother Steven Sessegnon all pushing for first team minutes.

colinwhite

toshes mate

Nicely put General.

Quote from: General on November 19, 2017, 02:45:10 AM
Today we comfortably held Derby who are on fine form,

I hope the SJ bashers will get off his case.  There was a brilliantly attack around the 70th minute mark involving four players played at speed and incision when Ayite cut the ball back across the six yard line and no one was there to knock it in.   That is what not buying a true goal scorer for SJ in the time he has been here (Martin wasn't bought he was loaned) has done to hamper his hand in carving out a team that could win automatic promotion so easily with a bit more backing from the Board and Owners.  If they cannot do that in January then they should be removed permanently. 

The Old Count

Agree.  If we had kept Aluko and Malone, signed Norwood ( which we did), signed a Martin type player (Fonte would benefit) we'd be 12 points better off even allowing for Cairneys absense. 

SuffolkWhite

Good post General,

Today was better from the team and there was more zip in our movement and passing. The youngsters were a breath of fresh air and the whole team were putting in tackles and not being bullied.

Just need a Striker who can get in the six yard box to finish and as you say some players coming back from injury will help.

Better performance.

COYW
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Fulham76

Agree with the OP. Aluko & Malone created so many chances last year, which we've missed this season.

We were much better yesterday though & played a load of decent crosses in to the box. There were 2 in the 2nd half that stood out, (Sessegnon & Ayite I think), that were absolutely perfect, right between their keeper & back line but we had no one there to finish it off.

The problem is, Khan/the board won't support SJ in the transfer market to put right, so unlikely we'll get that little tweeking we need.

RaySmith

Very good OP, but didn't Sone want to go, having turned down Fulham's contract offer?

Fulham1959

Nice to read a thread with constructive, positive thoughts.

filham

Yes , General agree with most that you say but the Club, Coach and all responsible should know that you hold on to good players as we are not going to find it easy to replace them.
We have not replaced Aluko and have really missed Malone .

Sess has been a weakness at left back all season but Jocanovic has persisted with him in that position. Yesterday Odoi filled the left back spot and had a great game, this move should have been made earlier.

A lot of us have been crying out for the big dominant target man for a long time and it just hasn't happened, what makes anyone think it will happen in the winter window.

General

Quote from: RaySmith on November 19, 2017, 10:17:59 AM
Very good OP, but didn't Sone want to go, having turned down Fulham's contract offer?

I'm not sure - I've heard contrasting statements - even so though, after seeing the difference between last season and this season you could say his new contract was merited/worthwhile..

RaySmith

Quote from: General on November 21, 2017, 01:40:01 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on November 19, 2017, 10:17:59 AM

I'm not sure - I've heard contrasting statements - even so though, after seeing the difference between last season and this season you could say his new contract was merited/worthwhile..

Do they have a pay structure at Fulham? What happens if you give one player a lot more than the others?

But surely the undisputed facts are that Aluko, like Malone, wanted to go, and the club got a good price for him?

HV71

Lighthouse

May I remind every fan that a good coach uses the squad he has this season and not the one he used to have. This constant blame put on everything BUT the coach is fine but only up to a point. WE ALL KNOW what is wrong with the side. Some have been saying it for some time. But the coach has to try and work out a way for the players he has to work. He has been very slow in doing that. Only recently have we seen a change and he still has his favourites who seem to be off form while others are never given a chance.

However to his credit the is at last TRYING to change things around. But this constant need to put the blame on everybody but the Coach is just not accurate. Yes we know about the injury problems and the poor transfers in. But we also know we get caught out EVERY game with playing the ball out from the back EVERY time. By now we should have sorted this out. No our problems can be shared around with everyone. Including Joka.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Delboy

Good, balanced post. We need to keep picking up points until the window, which will hopefully bring in a proven goalscorer and boost our season into the playoffs. Slav can only use the tools he has been given, and I say given because I doubt he had much say whilst Kline was involved. This may be about to change, fingers crossed. COYW