watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Windows.

Started by samv10, November 20, 2017, 02:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samv10

Could anyone tell me the last time we had a transfer window where we didn't need a CB and a Striker?

Holders

When we had Saha and Coleman.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Tonywa

Quote from: Holders on November 20, 2017, 02:35:53 PM

You weren't happy with Hangeland and Zamora then?

filham

We still need to replace McCormac and Dembele up top and Hangeland and Hughes in the back four.
We have seen no signs of acceptable players in these positions for a long time.

HatterDon

Quote from: filham on November 20, 2017, 09:48:30 PM
We still need to replace McCormac and Dembele up top and Hangeland and Hughes in the back four.

If Hangeland and Hughes are the benchmark, then they'll never be any pairing good enough for you. There were two or three seasons where I wouldn't have traded them for any CB pair in the Premier League. The CB pair who started against Derby could hold their own against any pair in this league.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

We have indeed needed a decent forward or two since Dembele and Ross went. I have never been such a fan of Ream and Kalas as others but then they are often left exposed because of out attacking wing backs.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Quote from: Tonywa on November 20, 2017, 08:55:31 PM
Quote from: Holders on November 20, 2017, 02:35:53 PM

You weren't happy with Hangeland and Zamora then?

Saha and Coleman were better.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Horsfield_No9

We should pay what it takes to get Aiden Flint from Bristol City. Watched him a few times now including games at CC and he looks to be the type you need for this league. Still gutted the Dunk deal didn't come off a few years back, look how well he's doing now!
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

toshes mate

I do believe our coaching staff have been pretty clear about their requirements ever since Symons departed.  We can also assume our coaches were given promises for replacements for McCormack and Dembele, promises that have not been fulfilled.  Some of this summer's signings show promise and I'd not write off either Fonte or Kamara at this stage, but the fact is that when the midfield is labouring to achieve the movement, attitude, and confidence of last season, strikers good, bad, or indifferent are not going to get a fair crack of the whip in the side.  What was encouraging last Saturday was the efficiency of the midfield in probing the opposition in their half, and the support given to Button, Kalas and Ream in our half.  I also thought there were some secure partnerships forming between players both to cover mistakes and to move defences around in a manner not dissimilar to last season.  Obviously TC's return to fitness and much freer movement has helped but Norwood was also a strong influence on play.     

We definitely still need an instinctive goal scoring and capable striker (or two) to give us an attacking edge that'll help to prevent teams using high presses on us.  We also defensive cover for Kalas and Ream in addition to Odoi who has this season been a genuine asset to the squad.  I did enjoy the performance of Edun and de la Torre and would like to see them get more game time in future.   Edun, at times, looked really cultured.  The midfield overall definitely looked better balanced with either of them playing.  I am more optimistic now than I have been for any of this season so far that we are turning the corner and beginning to see rewards for hard work.  I believe we can still hit a top six target, but it'll be helped by the recruitment team doing its bit.

hovewhite

Flint i think wouldnt fit with the way slav sets up his defenders needing to play it out from the back.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on November 21, 2017, 08:58:12 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Ream and Kalas are a top 6 CB pairing then?

Ream is still a bit weak defensively but for a left-sided Championship CB with a good first touch and pass and composure, I don't think you'll get much better.

Of course I'd like to have better backup options than Madl (AWOL), Odoi (a full back) and Djalo (who?) but the priority for the first XI IMO is 100% a *striker*, simple as that
Id agree with that pretty much. I would have preferred another CB to play/compete with these two. I do think Madl (while not great) has been harshly dealt with by Slav. Hes good enough to be an option if not quite good enough to bank your whole season on at the back.
Odoi with his bits a pieces stuff at CB had done well. But again would you really want him named as CB week in week out.
Djalo is a low cost gamble and if it dont work out he moves on. Was never bought to be a main CB this season, but is far from the donkey many make him out to be.

I have high hopes for Davies in the U23's but he needs league time somewhere. 

I know they looked at CB's in the summer but for whatever reasons did not land the ones they targeted. Hopefully January we will see one come in at least.
Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on November 21, 2017, 10:13:44 AM
We should pay what it takes to get Aiden Flint from Bristol City. Watched him a few times now including games at CC and he looks to be the type you need for this league. Still gutted the Dunk deal didn't come off a few years back, look how well he's doing now!

Absolutely spot on.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: hovewhite on November 21, 2017, 12:38:17 PM
Flint i think wouldnt fit with the way slav sets up his defenders needing to play it out from the back.

Then we should stop playing it out from the back all the time. When we haven't got the ball we look mediocre. No wonder we concede a goal every game almost, when we invite opponents to close us down, we shoot ourselves in the foot. If we keep a clean sheet we only have to score one goal to win a match.
If we are lucky we may just scramble the odd goal in a match, but it's either to save a match or a consolation. Aden Flint would be ideal as a defender, and he would probably end up as top goalscorer as well.
We are not good enough up front to win games, and we are not good enough defensively to keep a clean sheet.
That in my book says we are not good enough.
We cannot afford to say Flint will not fit in the system, cause the system does not work with the players we currently have.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2017, 02:58:36 PM

Then we should stop playing it out from the back all the time. When we haven't got the ball we look mediocre. No wonder we concede a goal every game almost, when we invite opponents to close us down, we shoot ourselves in the foot. If we keep a clean sheet we only have to score one goal to win a match.
If we are lucky we may just scramble the odd goal in a match, but it's either to save a match or a consolation. Aden Flint would be ideal as a defender, and he would probably end up as top goalscorer as well.
We are not good enough up front to win games, and we are not good enough defensively to keep a clean sheet.
We cannot afford to say Flint will not fit in the system, cause the system does not work with the players we currently have.
Then you are saying change the manager.
Its the way he wants to play, just as Pulis whats to go long Slav goes short.
Just the views of a long term fan

Horsfield_No9

Quote from: Statto on November 21, 2017, 11:33:56 AM
Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on November 21, 2017, 10:13:44 AM

Dunk and Flint, "the type you need for this league" ie big blokes but not very good on the ball. I'd be interested to see how good Flint is under pressure deep in his own half when he's playing a system where just blindly wellying it up the pitch is prohibited. Plus I believe he's right-footed so are you saying play Flint and Ream with Kalas on the bench?

Yes, Ream > Kalas for quite a while now.

Horsfield_No9

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2017, 02:58:36 PM

Agreed, yes Flint doesn't fit the current way we play but maybe we should change and then maybe we can start being a bit more effective at holding leads like every other team in this division.

filham

Quote from: HatterDon on November 20, 2017, 11:03:11 PM
Quote from: filham on November 20, 2017, 09:48:30 PM

If Hangeland and Hughes are the benchmark, then they'll never be any pairing good enough for you. There were two or three seasons where I wouldn't have traded them for any CB pair in the Premier League. The CB pair who started against Derby could hold their own against any pair in this league.
That is absolutely right and we cannot expect to match Hangeland and Hughes but I am saying that since those two left we have hardly had any one half decent.
If for instance we had a pair as good as Brown and Gale I would be over the proverbial moon.