watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sessingnons best position.

Started by colinwhite, November 20, 2017, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

Keep reading that Ryans best position is obviously on the `left wing `,but have never been totally convinced by this to be honest.
We have to remember that hes only seventeen so I absolutely dont want to have a go at our young starlet.He is still very much learning his trade,and although he  is a great prospect he has lots of weaknesses at present. In one on ones he is surprisingly strong ,but can still get outmuscled by Championship forwards,and gets caught on the wrong side of his man at times. He is very cool in possession and a good finisher,but like Fredricks wasteful in his crossing ,particularly from the by-line. He is great when in full flow and very quick both with and without the ball. Although he is comfortable in possession he is not great with his back to goal (as Derbys goal showed on saturday) and has a tendancy of late to lose the ball when the whole team is moving forward (symptomatic of several other players as well to be fair!).
He has a lot of work to do on his defending ,in particular when defending the far post.He has been at fault on quite a few occasions this year.
As an offensive threat I actually think he is just as effective when playing at left back as further forward. Coming from a deeper position makes him much harder to pick up. He didnt cause an old head like Bairdinho too many problems who kept tight on him on many occassions not allowing him to turn,and forcing him to pass the ball backwards.
I actually felt that saturdays match against Derby was his worst of the season in terms of offensive threat.
I hope Ryan turns into a world class player,but he still has a long way to go. Had he been 25 years old we would have thought he was a decent championship player(but maybe not a lot more), so it  shouldnt be forgotten that we cant expect him at his age to be a top player week in week out. I think he, like any player of his age would , needs a rest . For me the jury is still out on what his best position is.

Skatzoffc

I agree he needs a rest. He's not been great lately.

But as you say too young to have a pop at him. He's still learning.

Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Southcoastffc

Unfortunately, but predictably, one of his 'weaknesses' is sheer physicality at this stage. Several times on Saturday he wlost possession largely because he is not (yet I hope) strong enough.  I'm not knocking him but being young does not exempt him from criticism and IMO he is not currently worth his place.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

colinwhite

Cant disagree with you Southcoast. Last year he was under less pressure and his prescence kept malone fully on his toes to boot!

hovewhite

Also havin malone backing him up he looked more confident and assured.

bog

When I saw his twin brother Steven starring for the under 17's I wondered why Ryan was not also playing, is this because Fulham would not release him?

092.gif

bog

Quote from: hovewhite on November 20, 2017, 08:13:39 PM
Also havin malone backing him up he looked more confident and assured.

Totally agree. They were so good down the left flank, I really miss Malone.  :016:

092.gif

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: bog on November 20, 2017, 08:27:05 PM
When I saw his twin brother Steven starring for the under 17's I wondered why Ryan was not also playing, is this because Fulham would not release him?

092.gif

Or because Ryan was joint top scorer in the Euros for the u19 team, is a champion at u19 level, and itd be pointless sacrificing first team club football to move down the age levels.

filham

Yes, I agree with all of the above and would question whether Sess. is really worth a starting place at the moment.

Denver Fulham

Sess's best position for us right now, his defending lapses this season aside, is at left back. I think we're much worse having Sess at LW and Odoi or whomever behind him than Sess at LB and Ayite or someone of that ilk ahead of him. His overlapping runs are what make him dangerous, and I think he's able to do less of that from a more advanced position.

Now, the defending lapses are hurting us, for sure. Part of our defending problem is that we're allowing a lot more crosses than last season, which is exposing some of our central fragility. There's no great solution right now, because neither combo involving Sess has been particularly good this campaign.