RIP Likely Lad

Started by Mince n Tatties, November 21, 2017, 08:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Rodney Bewes 79.

Mince n Tatties

And David Cassidy this morning 67.

Dragoman

I once saw Rodney Bewes with some of his mates in The Dukes's Head before a Fulham match in the 1980's. Don't know whether he was a Fulham fan though.

Slaphead in Qatar

Didn't realise bewes and Bolam hadn't spoken for 30 years after a falling out

Lighthouse

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on November 22, 2017, 12:03:46 PM

Yes it was said that they were never that friendly towards each other anyway. But Bolam who has always been very private about his life took exception to an interview Bewes did.

However I just read an interview by Bolam saying he never had any falling out and they got on well. Apparently there was talk of another Likely Lads return that Bewes was keen on but Bolam wasn't. But according to him there was never any 'falling out' 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 22, 2017, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on November 22, 2017, 12:03:46 PM

Yes it was said that they were never that friendly towards each other anyway. But Bolam who has always been very private about his life took exception to an interview Bewes did.

However I just read an interview by Bolam saying he never had any falling out and they got on well. Apparently there was talk of another Likely Lads return that Bewes was keen on but Bolam wasn't. But according to him there was never any 'falling out' 

Bolam is telling porkies,40 years they never spoke and he didn't even go to Bewes wife's funeral a few years ago.
I saw an interview with Bewes where he went on about it, Bolam even tried to stop re-runs of the Likely Lads as he thought he was above that now,Bewes said Bolam forgot that it was The Likely Lads that made him.
Bolam is a bit aloof with other actors,thinks he better than them,which was confirmed by Dennis Waterman.

filham

A great Character in the Likely Lads that was an entertaining show that so many of us enjoyed over a good few years.

Andy S

Not me I thought it was awful

HatterDon

I missed the original series, but was in England for the reprise "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads."

I remember especially this exchange about an ex girlfriend:

"She moved to Scunthorpe."
"Where the hell is Scunthorpe?"
"Midway down in Division Three."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Andy S on November 22, 2017, 02:59:25 PM

No I think that's a tad too harsh

From the writers stable of La Frenais & Clement who wrote so many (@ the time) fashionable comedies this was a classic "working class v aspiring middle class" couple of mates from the lower class

Probably worse given the real life attitudes / angst of the 2 main stars

It wasn't "awful" & gave a very loved comedic show of it's time & period

hovewhite

I remember it and it average typical noorthern humour of its time.

Woolly Mammoth

I didn't think it was even remotely funny. I have had more laughs at the dentist.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

grandad

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 23, 2017, 05:22:39 PM
I didn't think it was even remotely funny. I have had more laughs at the dentist.

:plus one: It was dreadful.
Where there's a will there's a wife

MikeW

I don't think Harry Hill is remotely funny nor the Pub Landlord bloke.  But each to their own.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Lighthouse

I have learned from experience that commenting negatively on someones career on a post about their death is not the wisest way to make a point. For some of us The Likely Lads were part of growing up as was the later series. If you didn't like it then fair enough. However could I ask that we leave the negative comments out of this thread. This is supposed to be about a much loved actor of a series that was apart of many of our childhoods. 

As in all things nothing can be agreed by as all. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fernhurst

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 23, 2017, 06:56:34 PM
I have learned from experience that commenting negatively on someones career on a post about their death is not the wisest way to make a point. For some of us The Likely Lads were part of growing up as was the later series. If you didn't like it then fair enough. However could I ask that we leave the negative comments out of this thread. This is supposed to be about a much loved actor of a series that was apart of many of our childhoods. 

Plus 1 Beamer ......... I had a favourite Uncle who used to pop in to our house on a Saturday night invariably when I was preparing to go out. Absolutely immaculate in my mohair suit he always greeted with " aye aye here's The Likey Lad"
Rest in Peace Rodney will always be remembered with fondness.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 23, 2017, 06:56:34 PM

So well said Lighthouse, much better than my attempt!

ron

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on November 22, 2017, 11:17:53 PM
Quote from: Andy S on November 22, 2017, 02:59:25 PM

No I think that's a tad too harsh

From the writers stable of La Frenais & Clement who wrote so many (@ the time) fashionable comedies this was a classic "working class v aspiring middle class" couple of mates from the lower class

Probably worse given the real life attitudes / angst of the 2 main stars

It wasn't "awful" & gave a very loved comedic show of it's time & period

very similar in fact to "The Liver Birds" as a sign of the times.

Sad though that the falling out lasted until death. Life's too short to have grudges like that ruin any of the time we have available. Both parties in any dispute have responsibilities to sort things out, even just enough to be acceptable to both.