watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time for Bettinelli?

Started by ChesterTheTabby, November 21, 2017, 11:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

Is it time for Bettinelli to get a shot between the sticks? I'm not saying Button has done poorly, but some of his decision making, blocks rather than "push aways"/catches have baffled me at times. Just throwing the question out there.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

simplyfulham

Personally, I think it's been time for Betts since August 5th.

fulhams_finest

After some of the really tame goals tonight it would be hard not to give betts a game? that stat I read about his kicking surely cannot include goal kicks as I don't think one has ever made it to a Fulham player!!

Milo

Past few months Button has kept us in games.. and you want to bench him after one poor performance that didn't even cost us the points?

Add to that he's a confidence player... and You're putting nails in his Fulham career coffin completely prematurely.

He doesn't have the distribution to cope with the high press that have had people claiming teams have "worked us out" however... but until we purchase a goalkeeper with this attributes for this specific purpose, should he lose his place?

the nutflush

There's one sitting on the bench. 

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Milo on November 22, 2017, 12:52:33 AM
Past few months Button has kept us in games.. and you want to bench him after one poor performance that didn't even cost us the points?

Add to that he's a confidence player... and You're putting nails in his Fulham career coffin completely prematurely.

He doesn't have the distribution to cope with the high press that have had people claiming teams have "worked us out" however... but until we purchase a goalkeeper with this attributes for this specific purpose, should he lose his place?

Way to overreact to a simple post that merely mentioned a change whilst also saying "I'm not saying Button has done poorly". Who can replace Button? The very goalkeeper that did in the last 6 - 8 games of last season and led us into the playoffs. The player who has come through our own academy and signed a new contact over the summer. Get a grip.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Roberty

Quote from: simplyfulham on November 21, 2017, 11:34:59 PM
Personally, I think it's been time for Betts since August 5th.

Not possible - he was injured - and for several matches after that

He was first choice at the end of last season but picked up an injury in the preseason

His problem is that he's proved to be fragile - gets the chance - plays well - picks up an injury

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Count Flapula

No.

Button's had one bad game - he was probably MOTM the first 3 games and has been pretty solid ever since. Granted his long kicking will probably always be pony but dropping him after one shaky performance is not the way to go with GKs particularly.

Additionally, Betts is a talented one on one keeper / shotstopper but one of the worst keepers dealing with crosses I've ever seen in a Fulham shirt. Bringing him in will NOT inspire confidence  in what is already a shaky defence low on confidence.

Emphatic no. Just no.

EastEndWhite

Woolly Mammoth

Not sure David Button deserves to be dropped yet. But he does not look as though he communicates enough with Kalas and Ream. As a unit they are not getting the best out of each other.
I like Betts, and would not object to him playing. But at the moment that would be a little unfair to Button overall.
Although Button needs to concentrate on polishing up his shortcomings.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

J.Perkins

Button has had a good season. Came back in after being dropped, and rightly so, at the end of last season.

1 poor game doesn't mean he must be dropped. Yesterday he wasn't helped by some truly shambolic defending.

The who defence needs to take a good look at themselves. Button will take 99% of the blame, but Kalas and Ream need a rocket up their back side too.

Twig

Quote from: maoconnor on November 22, 2017, 01:39:18 AM
Quote from: Milo on November 22, 2017, 12:52:33 AM

Way to overreact to a simple post that merely mentioned a change whilst also saying "I'm not saying Button has done poorly". Who can replace Button? The very goalkeeper that did in the last 6 - 8 games of last season and led us into the playoffs. The player who has come through our own academy and signed a new contact over the summer. Get a grip.

I agree on both counts.  Overreaction, yes.  Time for Betts? In my view also yes.  Let's not forget that he finished last season as the clear number one.  He earned that accolade and having fully recovered from an unfortunate injury I would like to see our number one keeper back behind the stickers.  I am in no way knocking Button, he has done a decent job, but Betts was ahead at the end of last season and I think it would be right to play him.

MJG

IF we had blown it at the end and it was down to him then maybe. But id not drop him after a win.
Just the views of a long term fan

Rambler

The back three of Kalas, ream and button have not been strong enough this season and conceding 4 again last night proves this. Something needs to change and I would give Bettinelli a go because of his exploits at the end of last season plus I think I organises the defence better then button

joeemslie

Quote from: Count Flapula on November 22, 2017, 02:59:37 AM
Granted his long kicking will probably always be pony

Why is that something our fans are okay with? That just seems utterly mad to me.

He is a goalkeeper, he needs to be able to distribute effectively, or am I wishing for too much?

Chutney

100% yes, Button is a liability.
C O Y W

Sir Alec of good Stock

If you watch the goalkeeping on YouTube in the 70s and 80s, there was far less parrying shots and over exaggerated diving than nowadays and that was before the advent of keepers wearing enormous padded gloves.
I assume that its just the way that keepers are coached nowadays and possibly the lighter ball moving in the air more, but you see lots of instances where it appears to be simpler and safer to catch the ball than to push it away.

twang

gang

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on November 22, 2017, 10:21:16 AM
If you watch the goalkeeping on YouTube in the 70s and 80s, there was far less parrying shots and over exaggerated diving than nowadays and that was before the advent of keepers wearing enormous padded gloves.
I assume that its just the way that keepers are coached nowadays and possibly the lighter ball moving in the air more, but you see lots of instances where it appears to be simpler and safer to catch the ball than to push it away.

Yes the ball has made all the difference to how goalkeepers are coached nowadays. Parry and catch has taken over from catch and hold.

grandad

Button has generally been adequate but Betts needs some game time too. It would not do any harm to give him a run out. Both GK´s play for the same club so Slavisa must chat to them about some form of rotation to keep them both match fit.
Where there's a will there's a wife