News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sessegnon criticism lately has been unwaranted !

Started by howitis, November 22, 2017, 12:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

The last few weeks criticism of Sess has for me been harsh. A 17 year old thrown into the lions den, juggling positions on the left in a poorly performing team with no spine or leadership. I have been to All Home games and some away snd he has always been one of our most penetrating players either delivering crosses into dangerous areas or getting into goalscoring opps himself.
He may not be the finished article at left back, in fact he probably is not a left back but he has performed better then most this season and we should be screaming from the rafters about such a promising local player rather then looking to drop him in a team of failing senior players.
Our issue is not Sess, never has been. Give the lad the credit he deserves and focus on the inadequacies of the players around him.
As for tonight I can only praise the team for scoring 5 but where were the forwards again ?? Also what was Button doing for 3 of the goals ?
Take the score line away and the defensive inadequacies it was  still a brilliant result. Let's hope we can build.

EJL

Where were the forwards? Both assisting off the bench, to be fair to them!

colinwhite

Easy to think that after hes just scored hatrick(!), but he hasnt been playing well in the last 5 or 6 games 17 or not. No-one has been on his back, that I have noticed.
Great performance by him tonight and the fact that SU were so offensive and tried to get their backs forward suited him and us perfectly. Congrats to sess and the whole team . The front three of Ayete Ojo and Sessingnon all have Pace which suits us so well away from home.

Woolly Mammoth

Sess is a diamond we should be polishing.
As they say, he is one of our own, who is 17 years old and has just scored a hatrick away from Home. 
The position Where he played last night is his best position.
We should be thankful that he is a product of our Academy, where there are others who deserve the opportunity, as we have already seen, rather than waste money on imports who don't, can't, won't settle, and who make no impact, and end up polishing the bench.
Some of the players we need are right under our noses, in the Academy and in the lower Divisions as well as the Championship if the club cares to look.
So anyone who feels the need to criticise Sess in any shape or form, a 17 year old, should have a real good look at themselves.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Think a lot of people forget hes 17 a great kid that signed a new contract,so well done sess and thanks for staying,to slav keep bringing the youth through in the words of alex furguson if your good enough your old enough!

Carborundum

Overwhelmingly the criticism hasn't been directed at his character, so I'm not sure it has been harsh.  It's the position he's been asked to play most of the season.  He has the skill, pace and audacity to attempt high risk / high return stuff.  Last nights goals reminded me of McCormack, but quicker over the ground.  Plenty of posters on here have been calling for him to be played as a winger.

Jokanovic isn't daft.  High risk / high return just doesn't work in defence.  Downside risk too calamitous, returns too low.  Sessegnon has surely nailed down a starting berth further up the field and his full back days are behind him.

Mince n Tatties

The criticism I believe has been more to the manager for playing him as a full back.

Riverside

We all love Sess . The criticism though has been warranted on his performances not his attitude . Even after last night I would worry if he was a starter at left back . He is always trying to make something happen and mistakes are inevitable . In defence this is a problem in the opposing box it is a virtue 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverside

Having said all this . How about Sess starting at CF ? He has a maturity in front of goal nobody else does . Clearly no long balls to him but if Ayite can play there ( and it sounds as though he is injured ) why not Sess . Kebano , Sess , Ojo front 3 with Kamara as impact sub ?

toshes mate

Don't any of us forget football is a team game.  I think young Ryan, as much as anyone, will be first to acknowledge how important it is that the whole team works for each other.  He is a very mature seventeen year old and he is only going to get better.  Scoring goals is the first step to winning games and the whole side will now benefit from the jolt of confidence this game will bring.  If you outscore your opponent you cannot lose, the most important fact we need to remember from last season.

mrmicawbers

What an engine that boys got,runs around for fun and a great eye for goal.All we have been saying is he should be played further forward,lets say an attacking midfielder with a license to roam.

MJG

The criticism at him personally is unwarranted, but there is an argument to say he should be rotated a little bit more.
Hes 17 and still growing and there is lots of evidence that over playing youngsters does them more harm than good.

I like the fact hes played LB and LW as well. Its about educating him in football and learning skills needed in both areas. A problem that many 'british' footballers struggle with.
He will eventually settle down in to one position and the main thing is we should enjoying watching a lad who will hopefully produce great things in the future.
Just the views of a long term fan

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Riverside on November 22, 2017, 08:49:31 AM
Having said all this . How about Sess starting at CF ? He has a maturity in front of goal nobody else does . Clearly no long balls to him but if Ayite can play there ( and it sounds as though he is injured ) why not Sess . Kebano , Sess , Ojo front 3 with Kamara as impact sub ?

Said this last season. Playing on the last man's shoulder he could be lethal.

Lighthouse

The criticism is usually aimed at him as a defender. Many have said for a very long time that he is better further forward. Which proves that the criticism I think was justified.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

davew

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 22, 2017, 07:11:48 AM
The criticism I believe has been more to the manager for playing him as a full back.
Exactly, his sales tag as a full back would be 1/10 of the value as an attacking midfielder/winger.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Fulham 442

The criticism is usually aimed at him as a defender. Many have said for a very long time that he is better further forward. Which proves that the criticism I think was justified.

+1

Woolly Mammoth

Splendid, so we are all agreed then, Sess to play up in the position where he played last night and not as an orthodox left back.
I shall email Jok in the normal weekly procedure and let him know our findings, knowing him as I do, he generally listens.
I am glad we got that one over the line.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: davew on November 22, 2017, 10:09:04 AM
Exactly, his sales tag as a full back would be 1/10 of the value as an attacking midfielder/winger.
[/quot
Quote from: davew on November 22, 2017, 10:09:04 AM

This is absolutely correct. Sess was not looking good at left back in defensive situations and a lot of us were asking for him to be moved forward. When Cairney was missing I even suggested that Sess. could be tried in that role.

It took Jokanovic a long time to see that Odoi was better than Sess at left back and that Sess. would better serve the team in attack.

Southcoastffc

The criticism, IMO, is not at all unfair.  He is in the team/squad on merit and, as far as I am aware, we all want him to do well and to enjoy him doing so.  BUT when he performs poorly, it is right that he is not exempt from criticism.  Whether he's age 17 or 37, whether he's played 1 game or 51 games for us, he is as much a player deserving of praise or otherwise as is anyone else.   
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Riversider

Sessegnon at left back is the Elephant in the room as far as Jokanovic is concerned, let's face it, it's been not just the wrong decision but also a season ending decision, I've never met a Fulham supporter yet that has said to me that Sess should be playing at left back, and yet only one person has persisted with it until now,
Jokanovic has plenty of supporters on here that like to blame, Rigg, Kline and Khan for where we are now but what have any of them got to do with Sess playing out of position ?

As we all know it's a double whammy, not only is the defence weakened by having him there but our front line is also weakened by not having him there,
And I feel for the kid as well he's never looked happy at left back and last night up front with Ojo he had his big beaming smile back on his face,
So hopefully barring some left back injury crisis we will never see Sessegnon at left back again and he can fight for his place at wide left alongside the likes of Graham, Mollo and Kebano.