watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sheffield Weds Plan B

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, November 23, 2017, 02:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

I was watching Ipswich v Sheffield Wednesday last night, and although it was a 2-2 draw, Ipswich were very unlucky to not come away with all 3 points.

A typical Mick McCarthy side made it very awkward for Sheff Wednesday, they pressed high, played long ball, and really got in their faces, along with stopping play going through Bannan.

However, the difference being, is that when it wasn't working, Carlos Carvalhal opted for plan B, and brought on the 6.4 foot Atdhe Nuhiu.

Sheff Weds are very similar to us, but, the luxury they have, is to be able to mix it up when games aren't going their way, and, are not ashamed to go route one, if it means winning or saving games.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

BedsFFC

Nothing specific to you mate, but why do so many people use going long to a big man as the obvious plan b?

Last 5 minutes maybe if you are desperate but thats about it

Just to add, I think the best method is to mix it up during the game. Like all the best teams. Nothing wrong at all with going direct every now and then.

In fact, I think one thing weve missed is the early balls played across the box from Malone. I love Fredericks but he is a bit predictable.

Many people complaining about our "fox in the box" for crosses need to consider that when Fredericks gets the ball, teams know he is likely to beat his man and take it to the byeline and they pack the near post early manking it very hard to nick something.

If he mixed it up a bit and got crosses in early, he can create some chaos which gives our forwards those extra few moments to feed off.

Frankly, that's probably as effective as going long

grandad

To get crosses in early you need to have people in the box to do anything with them. We do not currently have the forwards for this. Sess showed how to do it the other night with his far post volley.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Carborundum

Interesting post. Stop Bannan, Stop Wednesday would tie in with the evidence of their most recent visit to the Cottage.   Nuhiu came on late in that game and let's just say that my impression was, not for the first time watching him, some distance removed from believing he's our missing link. 

@jolslover

that was the first goal Nuhiu has scored in a year and a bit ??? So not a very effective plan B.
STH H3

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: grandad on November 23, 2017, 03:14:49 PM
To get crosses in early you need to have people in the box to do anything with them. We do not currently have the forwards for this. Sess showed how to do it the other night with his far post volley.

I think if Fredricks released the ball earlier, say a diagonal ball into the box but continued his run towards the byline a defender would have to follow him. Thereby creating space in the box. He would also be in the perfect position to pick up a loose ball.
Currently we can be predictable. Remove that and we become hard to contain. If nothing else we have a high percentage of creative players who given space can score.

filham

Jocanovic obviously doesn't believe in the use of a plan B. We play our regular game all through the match and right up to the end of  injury time. Yes we change things a little with subs but still play the rigid planA.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: @jolslover on November 23, 2017, 06:54:46 PM
that was the first goal Nuhiu has scored in a year and a bit ??? So not a very effective plan B.

Sorry??!! Wednesday were losing 2-1, Ipswich had shut them out, they threw on Nuhui, changed tactics, went long, he scored, they saved the game. I call that a perfect plan B??!!

Doesn't matter if he's not scored in a year, he did last night, the same as Fletcher did against us, when they need a plan B then.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on November 23, 2017, 10:20:04 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on November 23, 2017, 06:54:46 PM

Sorry??!! Wednesday were losing 2-1, Ipswich had shut them out, they threw on Nuhui, changed tactics, went long, he scored, they saved the game. I call that a perfect plan B??!!

Doesn't matter if he's not scored in a year, he did last night, the same as Fletcher did against us, when they need a plan B then.

Their plan B won them a point.
Nothing wrong with going direct, there is more than one way to score a goal. Especially if your trying to save the game.
There is no perfect way or right way, it's the result that counts, goals win games, win trophies, and keep managers in a job. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

Quote from: BedsFFC on November 23, 2017, 02:20:06 PM
Nothing specific to you mate, but why do so many people use going long to a big man as the obvious plan b?

Just to add, I think the best method is to mix it up during the game. Like all the best teams. Nothing wrong at all with going direct every now and then.

In fact, I think one thing weve missed is the early balls played across the box from Malone. I love Fredericks but he is a bit predictable.

Many people complaining about our "fox in the box" for crosses need to consider that when Fredericks gets the ball, teams know he is likely to beat his man and take it to the byeline and they pack the near post early manking it very hard to nick something.

If he mixed it up a bit and got crosses in early, he can create some chaos which gives our forwards those extra few moments to feed off.

Couldn't have got it more spot on re; Fredricks.

I've tweeted him to the similar effect numerous times hoping he'll see it and think about it haha
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Twig

Lol their plan B earned and hem a draw. We get plenty of those.

Woolly Mammoth

But only 5 wins in 18 matches, and only 1 at Home, and still no plan b.

Never forget your Roots.

peaty

Quote from: BedsFFC on November 23, 2017, 02:20:06 PM

Yep, completely agree.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 24, 2017, 05:49:20 PM

We know full well that Joka has no intention of a sort of plan B, he has publicly stated that he simply wants to focus on executing plan A better.  We had better get used to that idea.  Not that I have ever had a problem as it makes sense to me.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on November 25, 2017, 09:46:59 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 24, 2017, 05:49:20 PM

We know full well that Joka has no intention of a sort of plan B, he has publicly stated that he simply wants to focus on executing plan A better.  We had better get used to that idea.  Not that I have ever had a problem as it makes sense to me.

and it makes nonsense to me, as our League position shows, one win at home all season, and five wins out of 18.
A mediocre return.

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

I dont understand. Fulham (10 in last 20 mins) have scored much more late goals than Wednesday (5 in last 20 mins) have this season... We just keep executing our plan A for 90 mins, Whereas they have a Nuhiu plan B option..... Which do the stats show is better for late goals??
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Two Questions
1) How many late goals have Fulham conceded in the last 20 mins of matches.
2) What is Brian Ruiz middle name.

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 25, 2017, 12:08:26 PM
Two Questions

1) Us conceding goals is irrelevant when we were discussing the effect of bringing up a big man up top as a plan b
2) Its Ruiz isnt it, His full name is Bryan Ruiz Gonzalez?
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: @jolslover on November 25, 2017, 12:25:31 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 25, 2017, 12:08:26 PM
Two Questions

1) Us conceding goals is irrelevant when we were discussing the effect of bringing up a big man up top as a plan b
2) Its Ruiz isnt it, His full name is Bryan Ruiz Gonzalez?

Incorrect on both 1 & 2 so no cigar, not even a coconut.
For the record his middle name is Jafet.

Never forget your Roots.