The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: Riversider on November 28, 2017, 04:16:36 PM
Sell him for £30 million and then use it all to buy Dembele back from Celtic 😉
Graham, Dembele and Ojo up top together we'd be unstoppable,

Shame it'll never happen though.

Interested what makes you think Graham is a world beater?  Also remember Ojo is a loan so he'd need to stay another year for your scenario to be remotely possible.

MikeW

The comments on here are predominantly Woolly ... in the nicest way!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

MikeW

Twig: I agree with your 'world beater' comment. But why does he never get a go?  We read way back that Wolves faithful were sad to see him go.  Yet the Coach never gives him a sniff.  Sorry but coupled with his communication failings I think there is a strong streak of intransigence in our Coach that might prove his undoing. 

There you go, me being negative again.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

filham

If I was Chairman I am not sure I would allow our Buying Department to blow £30m on two or three players in the January window bearing in mind their recent track record.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Facts Not Fiction

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: filham on November 27, 2017, 05:18:35 PM
Well, I don't want  Sess to leave but then if we are to continue playing him at left back we could do a lot worse than selling him and with the mega bucks we get buy a replacement left back, a centre back and a striker, all three up to top Championship standard.

That is of course if we were capable of bringing in good layers, but thinking of all of our transfer failures we have made we had best stick with Sess.

Do these big clubs actually watch players or do they simply hoover up anyone who shows some talent or plays well for England U19s ? I keep reading that our beloved Sess is to replace Rose at Spurs but Sess is not a left back and certainly would struggle in that role in the PL. I'm a bit lost on the continual reports that Sess is a left back when a far far better left back was sold to Huddersfield. However, Sess is brill and I want him to stay.

We need a striker, a left back and a centre back.

FulhamStu

There is a cap on players over 28 unless Tony Khan overrides it, which means there is really no cap.  What it means is that our policy to to target players under 28 who will continue to have value, which seems sensible to me.  If Slav is very keen to get a 29 or 30 year old player and the other terms are right, I would expect Tony ?Khan to Support this.  I am happy that this would be by exception rather than the rule.   An aging expensive to run squad was one of the main reasons for our downfall.

David I

Quote from: FulhamStu on November 29, 2017, 07:58:49 AM
There is a cap on players over 28 unless Tony Khan overrides it, which means there is really no cap.  What it means is that our policy to to target players under 28 who will continue to have value, which seems sensible to me.  If Slav is very keen to get a 29 or 30 year old player and the other terms are right, I would expect Tony ?Khan to Support this.  I am happy that this would be by exception rather than the rule.   An aging expensive to run squad was one of the main reasons for our downfall.
Agreed, However, that hasn't actually been the case so far...... Glen Murray, Cameron Jerome..... Would have both done a decent job and PROVEN this league.

Twig

Quote from: David I on November 29, 2017, 10:42:07 AM
Agreed, However, that hasn't actually been the case so far...... Glen Murray, Cameron Jerome..... Would have both done a decent job and PROVEN this league.

Not sure about Glen Murray's current form but Cameron Jerome's form is nothing to write home about, could he really have done a job for us?

Keynsham

Quote from: Twig on November 29, 2017, 11:29:03 AM
Quote from: David I on November 29, 2017, 10:42:07 AM

Not sure about Glen Murray's current form but Cameron Jerome's form is nothing to write home about, could he really have done a job for us?

CHAMPIONSHIP EXPERIENCE though!

Woolly Mammoth

You miss the point. Obsession with a sell on value will not see us progress.
The main reason we went down was Magath, any half decent manager would have had enough time and matches to save us.
Try and forget this obsession with age for five minutes. A player or players say 30 or there abouts come in, say a centre back, striker or keeper for example on a limited contract even, and their performances and the strikers goals contribute to get us into the Premier, then it's job done, Millions will come into the club anyway and it's job done.
Because the current policy that you support is not working and never will.
How many of these players you talk about having a sell on value have made the team, the ones that have are loaners. What have they contributed that a better 30 year old proven player could not do. It's lack of experience that's holding us back.
We will probably take a big hit when trying to sell players who have failed and we will take a financial loss.
By having these ridiculous policies introduced by non footballing people only interested in sustainability as opposed to ambition will cost this club money and our best players who will leave one way or another, so we end up worse off on and off the field of play.
They couldn't run a bath. They would just let it over flow.
Both Fonte and Kamara for example are worth less now, than when we bought them.
You couldn't make it up.

Never forget your Roots.

F(f)CUK

A Greek friend alerted me to the following article relating to the AEK Athens goalkeeper Anestis:

http://www.contra.gr/Columns/contra-epithesi/greece/to-mpasimo-ths-foulam-gia-anesth-h-epistrofh-milivogevits-kai-ta-70-xiliarika-gia-lamproy.4962613.html

My friend is an AEK supporter and said that he would not be too upset to see the keeper leave.  The keeper appears to be angling for a UK move as he has recently signed with an English agent.  He is refusing to sign an extension to his current contract.  AEK is currently top of the Greek league and managed two 0-0 draws against AC Milan.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: F(f)CUK on November 30, 2017, 11:53:57 AM
A Greek friend alerted me to the following article relating to the AEK Athens goalkeeper Anestis:

http://www.contra.gr/Columns/contra-epithesi/greece/to-mpasimo-ths-foulam-gia-anesth-h-epistrofh-milivogevits-kai-ta-70-xiliarika-gia-lamproy.4962613.html

My friend is an AEK supporter and said that he would not be too upset to see the keeper leave.  The keeper appears to be angling for a UK move as he has recently signed with an English agent.  He is refusing to sign an extension to his current contract.  AEK is currently top of the Greek league and managed two 0-0 draws against AC Milan.

Just checked the link, and it's all Greek to me.

Never forget your Roots.

F(f)CUK

I will ask my mate to translate it tomorrow - unless anyone wants to use google translate

Barrett487

Quote from: F(f)CUK on November 30, 2017, 04:39:04 PM
I will ask my mate to translate it tomorrow - unless anyone wants to use google translate

:005:  :005:  :005:

Foulam's retirement for Anestis, the return of Milivoyevich and the 70-thousand for Lambrou
The two Premier League Championship teams who want Anestis, Lucas Milivoyevich who is still in love with Greece, the "children" of Panathinaikos who put ... back to support the club and the first nagging about Roka. These are the most "spicy" scenes of the sports press.
Like every day at Contra.gr we picked and gathered the best backdrop of the newspapers and we offer them to ... the dish. Good reading!
CHAMPIONSHIP INVESTS FALL, THREE PAOK MOVEMENTS
The Gospel of Cat has "hot" reports from the front ... Yiannis Anestis namely whether to renew with AEK, because the negotiations have been frozen, the role of the new agent and the prospect of England. According to the column, the 26-year-old Kipper, who has not yet heard of "yellow-black" lips their first official offer, is seriously concerned with two Cypriot teams with ... past the Premier League ...
Anestis has proposed Steve Wood with specific terms, economic and not only, with a 3-year contract. Significant detail: this is a setback for the first two of the three years, if only the interest of the Premier League clubs ...
The column even concludes that one of the two teams that looks very hot in the case of Anestis is reportedly Fulham who has ... a tradition for Greek footballers.
As for the other biceps, the North, according to the newsletters, "black and white" will be moving in the January transferring period for 3 players. For a basic left-back, a substitute right-back (for this they "look at" Atromitos for Kivrakidis) and for a time that will have other features than those of Priyovic.
"MILIVOGEVIT" WILL BE LOOKED FOR RETURN
According to aGent Greek of Sportime, o luka milivojević while taking the bread of the magical world of the Premier League with the shirt of Crystal Palace, but on Greece not to forget, having very beautiful memories of his presence at the Olympic. It is even within him and his family to live permanently in our country, so people have been trying to find him in the southern suburbs. The column recalls that in the event of a downgrade of Christas Palace, his earnings are projected to drop by 40% and the Serb is not willing to play in the Championship ...
NO 70,000 EURO FOR A GIFT
O Lazarus Lambrou is a player for whom there is great appreciation for PAOK people and according to the informant of Time , you need to change something spectacular for not making the route New Smyrna-Touba. He points out, however, that in the event that Dichefalos did not send another player loan to Panionios as a substitute, then the Neosmirnians (who have borrowed him from the team of Thessaloniki) are entitled to put in their funds an amount of 70,000 euros .
START WITH THE LEFT FOR THE ROCK
In the column of Kleistoros on Live Sport, we read that Manuel Roka's recent statements about the extremely poor aggressive harvest of Platanias (Bondink, Eniculou and Grezelczak count only 3 goals in 12 matches) brought ... effervescence in the changing rooms. And that's because some players "stalked" when they were accused of a personality shortage by their new coach ...
THE CHILDREN'S RIGHTS ARE CONVICTED AND BROUGHT BACK
Beyond the big debts to players in the group for the last 2-3 years, the huge list with the creditors of Panathinaikos includes two of his ... children, Tasos Lagos and Nikos Marinakis. However, as the newspaper "Nation" reveals through its sporting insert, the "greens" have asked the two players to be patient, with the players on their side showing a willingness to wait for the pistol to be put on the temple in the team which has nurtured them soccer.

copthornemike

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 29, 2017, 04:57:41 AM
Quote from: mlangstrom on November 28, 2017, 08:32:34 PM
Grabban anyone? 29year, 1.5y left on contract, £7m transfer 2y ago...valued at [5m] at this stage?

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-afc-transfer-news-wolves-and-fulham-tracking-black-cats-top-scorer-lewis-grabban-1-8882014

Yes Grabbon is a good shout.
Proven that he can score goals in a poorly performing team low on confidence. If one of our forwards had been as effective (I think Grabban is already in double figures) it is not difficult to believe we would be in the top six now!
Persoanally I would prefer Grabban over Gayle at the moment - but either would be a great addition in January. 

Asotosyios

Quote from: Barrett487 on November 30, 2017, 05:12:09 PM
Quote from: F(f)CUK on November 30, 2017, 04:39:04 PM

:005:  :005:  :005:

Fulham's interest in Anestis
The Gospel of Cat (this is a column in a sports newspaper) has the latest reports re whether Yiannis Anestis will renew his contract with AEK Athens, why the negotiations have been put on hold, the role of his new agent and the prospect of playing in England. According to the column, the 26-year-old keeper, who has not yet had an official offer for the renewal of his contract from AEK Athens (note: his contract expires in June 2018), interests two Championship teams that have played in the Premier League in the past. Anestis has been offered to English clubs by Steve Wood (his agent in England) with specific financial (and not only) terms for a 3-year contract. Significant detail: there is a minimum release clause in the contract for the first two years, if there is interest from a Premier League club. The column concludes that one of the two teams that is interested in Anestis is Fulham.

A Greek friend just told me about that and then I saw it on here. I have "massaged" a bit the google translation; a strange rumour as he is not that highly regarded in Greece, even though he is third choice for the national team.

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense