News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What are the five most meaningful songs to you?

Started by General, November 28, 2017, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Holders on November 28, 2017, 03:04:09 PM
General makes a good point, music can speak to the inner, most fundamental, emotions more clearly than anything else. The best music is so well-crafted that each word speaks a thousand. I challenge anyone to come up with a better anti-war song than "Green Fields of France", for example.

I agree that's a wonderful song and lyrics  also known as "Willie McBride"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

RaySmith

Yes, great song, also known as No Man's Land written by  great Scottish, Australian resident, songwriter , Eric Bogle, who also wrote another  powerful anti- war song And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda, about the  disastrous Gallipoli campaign of WW1, recorded by the Pogues amongst others.
https://youtu.be/DxkhBvO8_kM

https://youtu.be/cZqN1glz4JY

gang

Hundert Mann und ein Befehl. Heidi Brühl.
Man in Black. Johnny Cash.
Hey Jude. Beatles.
Always on my mind. Elvis.
Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Simon & Garfunkel.

Forever Fulham

This is an impossible ask to fulfill.  Different songs or compositions move you in so many different ways, and at different times in your life.  But does anything ever resonate like the timely song that comes on during unrequited love, especially when you're of a certain age?

Fire and Rain, James Taylor
I Wave Bye Bye, Jesse Winchester
Riders on the Storm, The Doors
You Are The Sunshine of My Life, Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye.  You pick the song.  Doesn't matter.

Forever Fulham

Also, did anyone see the Jonathan Demme film, "Philadelphia", and experience Neil Young's song of the same name that came on at the very end?  Maybe one of the most moving moments in all of film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHpQFF_Et4s

Holders

Quote from: RaySmith on November 29, 2017, 10:52:14 PM
Yes, great song, also known as No Man's Land written by  great Scottish, Australian resident, songwriter , Eric Bogle, who also wrote another  powerful anti- war song And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda, about the  disastrous Gallipoli campaign of WW1, recorded by the Pogues amongst others.
https://youtu.be/DxkhBvO8_kM

https://youtu.be/cZqN1glz4JY

Yes, they're frequent session songs. Green Fields is also sometimes known as Flowers of The Forest.

Fiddlers Green is in similar vein but not so powerful.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ron

Quote from: Forever Fulham on November 30, 2017, 05:02:49 AM
........ Different songs or compositions move you in so many different ways, and at   But does anything ever resonate like the timely song that comes on during unrequited love.......?

"Juliet" by Dire Straits.  Who among us has never felt like that at some time during our lives?

Mince n Tatties

Here Comes The Night...Them/Van Morrison
Caroline No...Beach Boys
Tears Don't Care Who Cries Them...K D Lang
Eleanor Rigby....The Beatles
Accidents... Thunderclap Newman.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I forgot.

"They shoot horses don't they"  Racing Cars
The first dance at my wedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l4L6HW5mQE

NogoodverygoodwelshgroupinitBoyo

Also reminds me of my great days in the 70's going from pub to pub to club watching some greatbans
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Holders

Dixie

The only time i was ever really moved by a song was Wild Horses by Rolling Stones, listening to it in the car after a great weekend with friends, i was bawling my eyes out.
Not really sure why! But i have now requested that this is played at my funeral - anyone else got a funeral song lined up?
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Holders

Quote from: Dixie on November 30, 2017, 02:23:46 PM
The only time i was ever really moved by a song was Wild Horses by Rolling Stones, listening to it in the car after a great weekend with friends, i was bawling my eyes out.
Not really sure why! But i have now requested that this is played at my funeral - anyone else got a funeral song lined up?

Several - Fairytale of New York (as above). Peter Sellers had In the Mood played at his because his friends knew that he hated it. I have to say that New York is one of the last places on Earth I'd want to go to, and I hate christmas so hopefully that'll give them a laufgh, as well as the quality lyrics otherwise which speak many messages.

Also Green Grow the Rashes O. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-n-WIcj_M

sunburywhite

Tomato
Oxtail
Minestrone
Pea and Ham
Chicken

Oh sorry, its the cold weather I thought you said soups
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

BestOfBrede

Comfortably Numb
The Sky is Crying
Echoes
All at my funeral
Hoorah I hear you say, can't wait say some!
Difficult to pick 5 that really mean something other than like intensely?

Maybe: Help me make it through the night - 1st u know what.
Yours is no disgrace - long walk in the rain down M1 ! - long story
Lady Fantasy - seen em (Camel) many times and reminds me of a very good youth
Just too many really

Forever Fulham

A few more to chew on, collective:

Photographs and Memories, Jim Croce
Amelia and Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell (2000 Dreamland album versions)
I Scare Myself, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks
Wichita Lineman, Glen Campbell
Let's Stay Together, Al Green
Yesterday, Beatles
Never My Love, Various artists
Your Song, Elton John
End of the Innocence, Don Henley
Someone to Lay Down Beside Me (The Story of My Life), Linda Ronstadt
Crying, Roy Orbison
He Stopped Loving Her Today, George Jones
Happy Together, Turtles
Taking You Home, Henley

Jonaldiniho 88

Couldnt begin to choose my contemporary 5 but both my parents are classical musicians so some of that has rubbed off in my 29 years. In no order;
The mozart requiem - incredible and used in so many films. Probably my favourite bit of music ever written tbh.
Bach air. Beautiful. Been used by some pop artists.
pachelbel's cannon. Slow builder and a bit similar to bach but i guess thats why i like them both.
Miserere mei deus- this was deemed so beutiful by the vatican that it was only ever allowed to be played there. A young mozart watched a number of performances and wrote the whole score out from memory. The Vatican, maybe seeing this as a sign from god allowed it to be played elsewhere.  Great story but a stunning piece. I  can see how a zealous man could keep it all to himself.
Stuck for 5 so you are getting 6
Verdi requiem - yes im morbid but this is as dramatic as music can get. A choral star wars at times.
Handle- zadoc the priest. As this is a football forum a bastardised version is used as the champions league song. I think its epic.
I have really enjoyed listening to many of your selections i have never heard or am not familiar with. Thank you. If you have any time please give these a listen. Some are longer than others but if you go on YouTube they often break it down so just listen tobthe one with the most hits.

Jonaldiniho 88

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Dixie on November 30, 2017, 02:23:46 PM
For me Time To Say Goodbye sung as a duet.

Holders

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on November 30, 2017, 08:51:05 PM
Wow did i overdo that post

No, it was interesting.

It's not deep and meaningful but what do you think of Bach's Toccata?

As another offering, I'd add Gentle Maiden. It's a lovely session tune (waltz) and the words are nice. It was used in an adaptation of Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles when the girls were dancing in white dresses on May Morn on the Dorset coast - a place called Dancing Ledge, as it happens. It's mournful and reflective and I played it at my father's funeral. There are plenty of instrumental versions on youtube but I couldn't find a sung one that I particularly liked.

sunburywhite

Quote from: Holders on December 01, 2017, 09:18:35 AM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on November 30, 2017, 08:51:05 PM
Wow did i overdo that post

No, it was interesting.

It's not deep and meaningful but what do you think of Bach's Toccata?

As another offering, I'd add Gentle Maiden. It's a lovely session tune (waltz) and the words are nice. It was used in an adaptation of Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles when the girls were dancing in white dresses on May Morn on the Dorset coast - a place called Dancing Ledge, as it happens. It's mournful and reflective and I played it at my father's funeral. There are plenty of instrumental versions on youtube but I couldn't find a sung one that I particularly liked.

Mussorgsky - A Night on the Bare Mountain
Barbers Adagion for strings, simply moving
Rodriguez guitar concierto aranjuez adajio
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me