News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What are the five most meaningful songs to you?

Started by General, November 28, 2017, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

A well made song can have a profound impact on us as people..

It can be representative of something bigger than us, a movement that defines a moment, to therapy on a very personal level.. music has helped me a lot through life and has elicited all types of emotional reactions from me from love to reflection and more.

I was wondering what people's top five songs were and why?

Or if there is a genre or artist someone most identifies and if they know why they do?

Mince n Tatties

The Woody Woodpecker Song
Teddy Bears Picnic
My Old Mans a Dustman
Hole in the Ground
Old MacDonald had a Farm.
🐹🐹🐢🐢🐰🐰🐥🐦🐦🐐🐐

Keynsham

Sunny Afternoon by the Kinks got me through a very tough time getting divorced many years ago.

I'll have a think about some others that I can identify with, there will be more.

Woolly Mammoth

1.Where not Real Madrid, where not Barcelona, we are Fulham !
2. Footballs coming home.
3. I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts ( have a banana).
4. Hitler has only got one ball.
5. 15 men on a dead mans chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

General makes a good point, music can speak to the inner, most fundamental, emotions more clearly than anything else. The best music is so well-crafted that each word speaks a thousand. I challenge anyone to come up with a better anti-war song than "Green Fields of France", for example.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Barrett487

Quote from: Holders on November 28, 2017, 03:04:09 PM
General makes a good point, music can speak to the inner, most fundamental, emotions more clearly than anything else. The best music is so well-crafted that each word speaks a thousand. I challenge anyone to come up with a better anti-war song than "Green Fields of France", for example.

I'm not saying it's better, but Brothers In Arms, by Dire Straits, is another strong lyric

Carborundum

As said above, music can take you places words cant reach.  The more impressionist the lyrics, the more I get to join the dots and so the more personal the music becomes.  The finest 3 and a half minute contemporary song I know is Driver 8 by R.E.M.  Of songs that tell a more linear story, Fairytale of New York is one heck of an achievement.

About five years ago I decided to give classical music a proper try and forced myself to listen to Beethoven's fifth ten times in ten days.  By day 6 I was utterly hooked and haven't looked back.  So in response to the question posed, here's my take on five  of Beethoven's best symphonies

#3 - Although life is full of grandeur, in the end it turns out to be a big joke
#5 - Every emotion in every conflict in history boiled down into a rich broth
#6 - Days out the country can be eventful
#7 - Although life can be a big joke, the sheer grandeur gets revealed at the end
#8 - Time is precious, use it wisely

#1 and #2 basically proved to himself he could write a symphony.  #4 is D- could do much better

#9 defies words, especially the bits that aren't heard so frequently.

keith

1. Look Wot U Dun by Slade Memories of School
2. My Ding A Ling by Chuck Berry. First Xmas in Employment.
3. Oh Boy by Mud 75 Cup Final
4. If I was by Midge Sure. My Son was born.
5. You Win Again by Bee Gees. My Daughter was born.

Holders

Quote from: Carborundum on November 28, 2017, 05:32:43 PM
As said above, music can take you places words cant reach.  The more impressionist the lyrics, the more I get to join the dots and so the more personal the music becomes.  The finest 3 and a half minute contemporary song I know is Driver 8 by R.E.M.  Of songs that tell a more linear story, Fairytale of New York is one heck of an achievement.

About five years ago I decided to give classical music a proper try and forced myself to listen to Beethoven's fifth ten times in ten days.  By day 6 I was utterly hooked and haven't looked back.  So in response to the question posed, here's my take on five  of Beethoven's best symphonies

#3 - Although life is full of grandeur, in the end it turns out to be a big joke
#5 - Every emotion in every conflict in history boiled down into a rich broth
#6 - Days out the country can be eventful
#7 - Although life can be a big joke, the sheer grandeur gets revealed at the end
#8 - Time is precious, use it wisely

#1 and #2 basically proved to himself he could write a symphony.  #4 is D- could do much better

#9 defies words, especially the bits that aren't heard so frequently.

I was trying to think of the title. Fairytale of New York is the perfect example, beautifully crafted. Each word speaks a thousand and it summarises better than a biography. I've told my daughter I want it at my funeral (a bit of a joke as well as it celebrates two things that she knows I hate!). 

I love the 9th as well. I'm no christian but the words (credit Schiller) are so well written "...muss ein lieber Vater wohnen, such' ihm uber'm Sternenzelt..." German is such a precise language, you just can't express it so well in English.

Holders

More prosaically, "Nutbush City Limits" always transports me back to the Hammersmith End terrace.

hovewhite

Having started DJin in the 70s and still working now this is difficult and will come back to this.

Keynsham

There is a brilliant Christmas song by Tim Minchin of all people, called White Wine in the Sun.

I would encourage everyone to listen to it once.

toshes mate

I really struggled to get this down to anything close to five and let me just say I agree with Carborundum about Beethoven's symphonies.  I love the 'Pastoral' thunderstorm and hymn.

1)Gershwin – Summertime
Just gets to me every time I hear it sung or (try to) play it.  A simple melody that is timeless.
2)Beethoven - Sonata No 14 in C Sharp minor ('Moonlight')
Struggled with piano and music lessons for years just to play it.  The last movement is not what you'd expect after the first
3)Tchaikovsky/Prokofiev/Berlioz/Bernstein – Romeo and Juliet
Take your pick of music written about Shakespeare's romantic tragedy.  They all have moments of sheer emotional extremes and I have a hard job of choosing between the Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev interpretations as my favourite.
4)Borodin – Prince Igor Overture and Polovtsian Dances
Staggeringly beautiful Russian music written for an opera the composer never heard.  The Polovtsian Dances are best heard with the choral accompaniment.
5)Holst – Planet Suite
The whole suite is a journey of discovery but the wordless female chorus in 'Neptune' always gets to me – the musical equivalent of infinity.

Also love Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade because the music tells you the stories you just wish you had been told a very long time ago.

I have just too many popular music favourites to even think about narrowing them down to five but Renaissance's 'Northern Lights' are up there somewhere.

Twig

This is very hard indeed. 

1.Take me home, Al Fayed; when it was sung loud in those days always threatened to bring a lump to my throat.
2. Boz Scaggs, Dinah Flo; the opening song on the My Time album always brought a smile to my face no matter how down I felt.
3. Pink Floyd, Shine on You Crazy Diamond; as a tribute to the late, great Syd is musically and emotionally superb (especially on vinyl).
4. The Doors, When the Music's Over; Strange Days was the first album I paid good money for and Jim Morrison in his pomp had a visceral quality that few, if any, could match.
5. Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Carl Orff, Glenn Millar, Gershwin, Keef Hartley, there are so many possibilities but I am going for Coloseum, Valentyne Suite (from the album of the same name); I love the sound, the musicianship and the emotion conveyed.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on November 29, 2017, 12:20:19 PM
This is very hard indeed. 

1.Take me home, Al Fayed; when it was sung loud in those days always threatened to bring a lump to my throat.

This unfortunately can happen when you eat an apple whole, you should chew it first.

Never forget your Roots.

grandad

Any 5 by Eric Clapton. He is an inspiration by kicking a life of drink & drugs.
"My father´s eyes" is very moving as is "Tears in heaven"
Where there's a will there's a wife

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Netherlands - Dan Fogelberg
Song for Europe - Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music
Fairytale in New York - Shane McGowan/Kirsty MacColl and the Pogues   (topical)
Nessum Dorma - Pavarottii
Oh Yea - Georgie Fame
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Lighthouse

They tend to change from time to time but

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
Home by the sea - Genesis
Let Go - Frou Frou
Take it to the Limit - The Eagles
National Acrobat  - Black Sabbath
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 29, 2017, 12:47:18 PM
Netherlands - Dan Fogelberg
Song for Europe - Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music
Fairytale in New York - Shane McGowan/Catherine McGee and the Pogues   (topical)
Nessum Dorma - Pavarottii
Oh Yea - Georgie Fame

The late lamented Kirsty MacColl, wasn't it?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on November 28, 2017, 03:04:09 PM

The final scene in the War Film " Pathes of Glory " take some beating.

Never forget your Roots.