Main Menu

Please do not play Fonte again - unless we run out of reserves

Started by Baszab, December 02, 2017, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

He has contributed nothing in the last 10 games
It's just not fair on us paying money to support the team

filham

We will be told that he has to settle, acclimatise, bed in, adjust, find the pace, gain full match fitness etc., make no mistake he is right up there with our other prime failures Marlet, Mitroglou and Ruiz.

Matt10

I've come to the realization, thanks to this board, that Fonte will never win. He's DOA until he starts scoring goals, and only goals.

Not assists, not winning pens, and not holding the ball to set up others...just Goals. Afterall, that's what he's paid to do. Good luck, Fonte!

davew

Quote from: Matt10 on December 02, 2017, 05:06:57 PM
I've come to the realization, thanks to this board, that Fonte will never win. He's DOA until he starts scoring goals, and only goals.

Not assists, not winning pens, and not holding the ball to set up others...just Goals. Afterall, that's what he's paid to do. Good luck, Fonte!
At least Matt he must sleep well at night knowing he has 1 blinkered supporter on here (lol)......YOU!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

grandad

Kamara is desperate to score & Fonte is not capable of scoring in a brothel.
Where there's a will there's a wife

davew

It is beyond belief that Kamara does not get more playing time, Joka obviously has his favourites, shame most of them are not Championship material!!

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on December 02, 2017, 05:12:15 PM

We have had our differences but the impression i get from your posts is you're an intelligent and passionate fan who knows his football... in fact, just the sort of person i come on this board to hear opinions from about the club we both support... but honestly i really think you are just bang wrong about fonte for some reason... it's not a matter of perception he's just plain poor!

I appreciate it. Well I played for a living and am learning to be a coach, so yeah I'm a bit passionate. I've seen this before, and I've tried to determine where he's falling short in terms of the requirements of a striker/forward - and it's simply down to not scoring goals.

I'm a bit exhausted of having to list out what might not have happened with him on the pitch (heck, you saw my video), but that's not really valid anymore because we live in the present and not in the past. I have nothing else to suggest of Fonte, but only to start taking more shots so the numbers can work in his favor to score goals. Ojo's figured it out, and before that everyone wrote him off. Fonte better start going the same route because he's going to have less match time to have these chances - needs to make the most out of it with goals, nothing more, nothing less.

Just to be clear, before this turns into another cliche bashing (not from you Statto, FYI) , I don't want him to start anymore. I want him to score goals and do what he's supposed to do. Because there is literally no point to give him credit for anything else, because he will always look like he didn't contribute. So again, he won't win with the fans until he scores goals. Till then, he's DOA.

filham

Can you please let us know when he is going to do all those other good things because when he does the rest of the team will be scoring buckets loads of goalsand we will all be pleased to excuse a miss or two from him.

Woolly Mammoth

Fonte does not play within the framework of the team. If he was a loose cannon but still scored goals, I can understand him being given a run out. He hasn't even got 90 minutes in him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fluffyninja

I was in the Brentford end today and what a game of 2 halves , thought some of the team played well in the first half , Kebano and Sess got a lot of joy down the left then Josh Clarke came out a changed man in the second half and they had all the joy down our left side in the second half.Big holes on that flank even before Odoi was sent off , Sess is such an attacking player and that's great but he does give the ball away a fair bit and leave the defence stranded but hey he's young and our most promising player.

Agree with all the comments on Fonte I'm afraid , well done to all you that noted things he did today , well or badly , again I don't remember anything he contributed.I tried to explain to my 2 Brentford mates we've become a 1 goal team not ripping teams apart like last year and we needed strikers.

fluffyninja

Quote from: filham on December 02, 2017, 05:24:28 PM

Can you please let us know when he is going to do all those other good things because when he does the rest of the team will be scoring buckets loads of goalsand we will all be pleased to excuse a miss or two from him.

I wouldn't mind him missing if he shot , vs Derby and today can't remember a shot or defence splitting pass or any positive contribution.

Twig

Matt, if he had an exceptional assist rate then I would accept your argument but he doesn't.  As for hold up play; well he does not have many assists from holding up and setting up others and as for "winning" penalties, well I'm sorry, but I don't really see that a player "wins" pens. But even if you buy into that view how many pens has he won?  Sorry but even setting aside his lack of goal scoring I struggle to see what his contribution is.

Matt10

Quote from: Twig on December 02, 2017, 06:20:17 PM

Matt, if he had an exceptional assist rate then I would accept your argument but he doesn't.  As for hold up play; well he does not have many assists from holding up and setting up others and as for "winning" penalties, well I'm sorry, but I don't really see that a player "wins" pens. But even if you buy into that view how many pens has he won?  Sorry but even setting aside his lack of goal scoring I struggle to see what his contribution is.

Like I said, it really doesn't matter. Until he starts scoring goals, his contributions won't matter. I could list out all his contributions through the matches he was in, and I could say he didn't do anything wrong in this match. The problem is it's not about what he does right anymore, it's about what impact the right things he does and how it relates directly to our goal scoring. I'm not naive to think that he's our central point of attack, and if that player doesn't have goals next to his name - it really doesn't matter. He's an easy target, no pun intended, but because he doesn't score goals...or more importantly to me, take a couple of shots at goal, he doesn't stand a chance in this argument.

Woolly Mammoth

Unfortunately for us, Fonte has no visible impact when he has his opportunity on the pitch, and how much did he cost.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 02, 2017, 07:00:55 PM
Unfortunately for us, Fonte has no visible impact when he has his opportunity on the pitch, and how much did he cost.

Yes, I agree. His market value, and our investment, isn't paying off - just contributes to the understandable frustration with him.

I'm just at the point where I want to see some shots from the guy. Tired of him constantly trying to play everyone in. He needs to be less all over the place with his runs off the ball lately, and needs to make chances count.

davew

Matt, if he had an exceptional assist rate then I would accept your argument but he doesn't.  As for hold up play; well he does not have many assists from holding up and setting up others and as for "winning" penalties, well I'm sorry, but I don't really see that a player "wins" pens. But even if you buy into that view how many pens has he won?  Sorry but setting aside his lack of goal scoring I struggle to see what his contribution is.
Twig take a step back, don't give the impression that you might have missed something as regards Fonte's contribution this season, because you haven't!! Matt10 is unfortunately giving the impression that he idolises the guy, well why is he always trying to defend Fonte and suggest the rest of us on the forum (in the UK) are wrong? Rose spectacle glasses spring to mind and maybe a long ocean separates us! So it goes on about Fonte, the jury is still not out, he has been found guilty and the appeal system has determined that he should serve a longer service .......well away from FFC!! Matt10, sorry m8 but your comments really do irritate me and others. I think that we are not interested in your history (ex coach was it), video analysis of Mr Fonte or more importantly trying to criticise members of this board who have watched our club for many years (in my case 60+). The forum is here for people to express their opinions, including you and me, so in a few words was Fonte worth all that money, is he a striker, a play maker, a holder, an assistor or as I have already made up my mind a freeloader and a waste of space? Sorry this seems like a personal attack on you, it isn't!

Matt10

Quote from: davew on December 02, 2017, 09:11:26 PM

Matt, if he had an exceptional assist rate then I would accept your argument but he doesn't.  As for hold up play; well he does not have many assists from holding up and setting up others and as for "winning" penalties, well I'm sorry, but I don't really see that a player "wins" pens. But even if you buy into that view how many pens has he won?  Sorry but setting aside his lack of goal scoring I struggle to see what his contribution is.
Twig take a step back, don't give the impression that you might have missed something as regards Fonte's contribution this season, because you haven't!! Matt10 is unfortunately giving the impression that he idolises the guy, well why is he always trying to defend Fonte and suggest the rest of us on the forum (in the UK) are wrong? Rose spectacle glasses spring to mind and maybe a long ocean separates us! So it goes on about Fonte, the jury is still not out, he has been found guilty and the appeal system has determined that he should serve a longer service .......well away from FFC!! Matt10, sorry m8 but your comments really do irritate me and others. I think that we are not interested in your history (ex coach was it), video analysis of Mr Fonte or more importantly trying to criticise members of this board who have watched our club for many years (in my case 60+). The forum is here for people to express their opinions, including you and me, so in a few words was Fonte worth all that money, is he a striker, a play maker, a holder, an assistor or as I have already made up my mind a freeloader and a waste of space? Sorry this seems like a personal attack on you, it isn't!

Sorry, Dave. That was a bit personal. You can't say insults and then just say "nothing personal", and all is okay.

It's okay though. I didn't realize living far away made my comments or opinions invalid. Sorry that I don't play the role of cliche fan who wants to jump on the hate bandwagon, and start a mutiny towards the team or its players. Sorry, I'm not going to tell you want you want to hear either. That's now how I'm wired. I believe if you support Fulham, you support ALL of Fulham, no matter how crap a player you feel they are, you support them...until they aren't part of the club anymore - and of course there are exceptions.

FWIW, I didn't say anyone was right or wrong. You're grossly misunderstanding and putting words into my mouth. That's a bit sad. I've just given a different perspective. Whether it's right or wrong is down to perspective - which is what an opinion is in the first place. So before you go putting in the riot of Me vs the Forum, think again, and grow up a bit more than whatever credentials you feel validates you to dish out personal insults to anyone, whether it be here or anywhere in the world, in the first place.

@jolslover

Surely if your in a foreign country you can watch all the games live on stream through Fulham TV? So he probably sees more of Fulham than you and I do (Assuming he streams the games)
STH H3

RaySmith

I don't think it was doing Fonte any favours to bring him on to lead the line, when we desperate for a goal in the closing stages of the game.

Whatever his qualities, they don't seem to be  rampaging though opposing defences to try and get on the end of something - Kamara is surely more suitable for this.

davew

Matt, no personal insult was intended, the inference about being across the Atlantic was probably a show of frustration against a few people living over there who have basically put this club on a downward spiral! My portfolio signature is true "Grandson of a former Director" which doesn't make me better or worse than anybody else on here! I speak from the heart!! There are a few on here (but not that many) older than me and have enjoyed and endured many years watching FFC, that is part of following any football club, not just our club! I do follow your comments which are constructive and well meant, but in regard to the subject/player we are talking about, I cannot find any substance behind why you think the guy is good enough to play for FFC? I am very surprised that there aren't more people questioning your judgement especially as there are many on here saying the same as I am! At the end of the day the true supporters want us to succeed, that is something we can agree on!! Maybe this time next week we will have experienced a more enjoyable Saturday!!