watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Please do not play Fonte again - unless we run out of reserves

Started by Baszab, December 02, 2017, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Hey Matt, just wanted to say that I really like your well thought out posts on team and players. To put together a video to discuss a point of discussion was top drawer. You clearly study the game and you opened my eyes to a couple of things I was wrong on. One being Frederics and his reluctance to get early balls whipped in.
I see you are taking a bit of a battering. I'm sure you can deal with it.

As for Fonte, I fear his time is up. He needed a goal at least two weeks ago. He is starting to take stick at games just as his confidence is low. I'll be amazed if he turns it around

Matt10

Quote from: @jolslover on December 02, 2017, 10:07:24 PM
Surely if your in a foreign country you can watch all the games live on stream through Fulham TV? So he probably sees more of Fulham than you and I do (Assuming he streams the games)

Yeah, I love FFCtv. 90 minutes replays have been incredible service, which is why I've subscribed year round. Wish it wasn't 24-hours wait though as avoiding social media and this board are hard to do.

Quote from: RaySmith on December 02, 2017, 10:13:24 PM
I don't think it was doing Fonte any favours to bring him on to lead the line, when we desperate for a goal in the closing stages of the game.

Whatever his qualities, they don't seem to be  rampaging though opposing defences to try and get on the end of something - Kamara is surely more suitable for this.

That's the reality of it all, he's just DOA no matter what. He's losing if he's on the bench as well. I have accepted that it's only going to make fans happy if he's subbed in late when we're up a couple goals. Of course, I'd predict that the complaints would be to put in some younger, unproven, blood, instead of him.

What will most likely happen is that Slav will do what he wants, and it will go against the general consensus, by playing Fonte. It's in those unwelcomed moments that Fonte needs to take advantage and stop being a team player and become a selfish one. Like some have said, a hold up player like Fonte, who is all about setting up his teammates, may not work in this framework of what the fans want. While that may be true, we do not control what the manager chooses to do with his players, so the reality is - you just hope for the best.

JoelH5

Matt, I've seen your Fifa videos, where are the Fulham ones? Specifically on Fredricks getting the ball in early.

Cheers
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Matt10

Quote from: davew on December 02, 2017, 10:21:37 PM
Matt, no personal insult was intended, the inference about being across the Atlantic was probably a show of frustration against a few people living over there who have basically put this club on a downward spiral! My portfolio signature is true "Grandson of a former Director" which doesn't make me better or worse than anybody else on here! I speak from the heart!! There are a few on here (but not that many) older than me and have enjoyed and endured many years watching FFC, that is part of following any football club, not just our club! I do follow your comments which are constructive and well meant, but in regard to the subject/player we are talking about, I cannot find any substance behind why you think the guy is good enough to play for FFC? I am very surprised that there aren't more people questioning your judgement especially as there are many on here saying the same as I am! At the end of the day the true supporters want us to succeed, that is something we can agree on!! Maybe this time next week we will have experienced a more enjoyable Saturday!!

No worries, Dave. I understand speaking from the heart. I was just surprised by that from you because of your sig. I felt I really must've pissed you off, and that's the last thing I want because there is no way I can touch your level of dedication or experience to this club. It's hard to support a club from this far away, so the only real connection is this board that I've stumbled upon - and have grown to love.

Regarding Fonte, it's not about being good enough for the club or not. By that logic, and the nature of the weekly posts here, there really isn't anyone good enough to play to our standards - except for Cairney, McDonald, Sess and Ojo, right? It's not that I don't think the criticism is valid, and necessary, but I also think that they are not 100% thought out, but are somehow 100% supported. That seems too good to be true, and that's what drives me to approach the different perspective. Just a couple weeks ago I did an analysis on Ayite because everyone was saying how weak he was in the Sheffield match, yet because of his indirect contributions we scored 3 goals.

A different perspective should not be seen as negative, or assumed to be combative, it's merely showing that there is potentially another way to look at things. After all, we're the fans, we don't control what the manager does. Make the best of it, and be the best by supporting all of the club, whether it be good enough players or not.

Can I ask a genuine question? In all honesty, if you had Fonte sitting right in front of you, and he asks what would you like from him to do to be considered good enough, what would you say to him? Keep in mind you can't control the manager, so he's going to play whether you like it or not. The answer to that question is exactly how I approach discussions with our players.

Lastly, I've said this already, but let me put it a different way. I don't want Fonte to start anymore. If the manager starts him, or subs him in, I want him to shoot when he gets the chance and I want him to be selfish. If he doesn't do this, then I will also prefer he not play. That doesn't mean he's not good enough or whatever, it just means that to me he needs to do these things - if he doesn't, then he's done to me. It's the same thing if Ojo had kept trying to dribble past everyone, the same if Fredericks wouldn't send in first time crosses, the same if Ream couldn't make a decision on the ball last year and the same if Slav keeps playing Sess out of position.

I also hope a more enjoyable Saturday next week. Shame for today. Time to drink up!

Matt10

Quote from: BedsFFC on December 02, 2017, 10:26:03 PM
Hey Matt, just wanted to say that I really like your well thought out posts on team and players. To put together a video to discuss a point of discussion was top drawer. You clearly study the game and you opened my eyes to a couple of things I was wrong on. One being Frederics and his reluctance to get early balls whipped in.
I see you are taking a bit of a battering. I'm sure you can deal with it.

As for Fonte, I fear his time is up. He needed a goal at least two weeks ago. He is starting to take stick at games just as his confidence is low. I'll be amazed if he turns it around

The good thing is everyone's heart is in the right place - that's all that matters to me. Discussions like these are equivalent to a friendly bar gathering with a couple of pints. Agree to disagree, but keep the civility :)

Thanks for the kind words. Right when I think about not creating anymore, it's positive comments and messages like yours that give me a bit of willpower.

Fonte is at put up or shut up time for me.

Quote from: JoelH5 on December 02, 2017, 11:20:58 PM
Matt, I've seen your Fifa videos, where are the Fulham ones? Specifically on Fredricks getting the ball in early.

Cheers

Yeah, I have those unlisted as they aren't exactly the nature of the channel. Here you go though:

Fonte
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nixWHt175Es

Ayite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvKF5STchsA

Baszab

I've seen nearly every game Fonte has played in live - and believe me he may make a few diagonal runs  to take a central defender wide - but the fact is he's just bloody useless for FFC in a promotion battle - far more useless than Ruiz was who in fact was a class player

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Mixed feelings about the posts on here, but the fact is Fonte was bought in to score goals and be in the right position to score them.
There is only one person to blame I'm sorry to say and that is the person who lets him run around all over the place to do whatever he does.
By comparison, Ruiz (who I wasn't keen on) Martin (who I was) Berbatov (say no more) Mitrolgou (who I liked - from what I saw) have all drifted back to try to get the ball when there was no service.
However there is service now from a bucket load of crosses, but Joka has not told him to 'goal hang' or get his butt into the box, which is surely his main job.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

RaySmith

I tend to think - well, Fonte must have something to warrant his signing for that money.

But, the thing is that he hasn't shown this so far, at a time when we are desperate for a goal scoring striker.

This is a brutal league. The rewards are great, but so are the pressures to produce - from club owners, with huge financial investment in success, and fans, who aren't very tolerant of under performing, yet highly paid, players.

Cauley Woodrow and Matt Smith were surplus to requirements, but  would they be less successful as strikers for Fulham than Fonte?

But I hope that Fonte will come good, and that he  just needs time to settle - but time isn't  a luxury  given to players in this competitive league.

I always said of Ruiz - give him a chance, he does have talent, but in the end  even I was forced to the conclusion that he just wasn't suited to the English game.

But I hope that Fonte does come good for us, and we will be forced to eat our words.

Woolly Mammoth

I shall not be forced to eat my words, as I have lost my appetite waiting for Fonte to come good. He is a professional sportsman, if players like him cannot make an immediate impact, then he isn't good enough, and why then waste money buying him, another balls up by the amateur recruitment merchants. This nonsense about settling in is just that nonsense, how old is he 12.
These guys get paid enough money to earn their corn from day one.
It's Cobblers to make excuses about waiting for him to settle in, what are we running a holiday camp.
To pay that kind of money he should settle in as soon as he puts a kit on.
Jimmy Greaves scored on every debut he made for his new clubs, but then he was not a snowflake.
Fonte is the biggest error of judgement since the Charge of the Light Brigade in 1854.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Quote from: Baszab on December 03, 2017, 01:15:58 AM
I've seen nearly every game Fonte has played in live - and believe me he may make a few diagonal runs  to take a central defender wide - but the fact is he's just bloody useless for FFC in a promotion battle - far more useless than Ruiz was who in fact was a class player
Now ruiz was a rolls royce to rui who i would class as a unrelient robin!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 03, 2017, 06:05:33 AM
I shall not be forced to eat my words, as I have lost my appetite waiting for Fonte to come good. He is a professional sportsman, if players like him cannot make an immediate impact, then he isn't good enough, and why then waste money buying him, another balls up by the amateur recruitment merchants. This nonsense about settling in is just that nonsense, how old is he 12.
These guys get paid enough money to earn their corn from day one.
It's Cobblers to make excuses about waiting for him to settle in, what are we running a holiday camp.
To pay that kind of money he should settle in as soon as he puts a kit on.
Jimmy Greaves scored on every debut he made for his new clubs, but then he was not a snowflake.
Fonte is the biggest error of judgement since the Charge of the Light Brigade in 1854.

👍
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Just  presenting both sides of the argument.

We've paid the money for Fonte, he is a Fulham player now. Shouldn't we give him every chance to come good, while also, of course, we should avoid playing him if it means us losing games.

Presumably, The manager must see something in Fonte to play him at all, but I don't know how much longer he will continue to do so.

But we did take the lead, and seem in control in the first half, and the defensive  errors weren't Fonte's fault,  nor Odoi not getting his injury treated, or being subbed, and then a second yellow.

But I'm not pleading the case for Fonte, but just  putting forward an argument in his favour.

Personally, I'm not at all convinced that he will come good, but obviously hope he will, since he  has signed on as a Fulham player, and you can't get rid of him just like that.
Plus, we aren't exactly  overwhelmed with striking possibilities, but , like many fans, I wonder why Kamara didn't  come on instead of Fonte.

malcbridger

Fonte was brought in to score goals, he has had plenty of playing time and doesn't look like he will become a 5 goal per season striker, let alone a 10-15 goal a season acquisition.
If Braga want him back for a couple of million euros less than we paid...we should bite their hand off, and try and sign Mitrovic. Slavisa knows him well from managing him at Partizan Belgrade, ok, he is a bit of a loose cannon, but...he is aggressive, has a decent scoring record and would be a positive outlet up front.
Fonte, runs around a bit, nice touches but doesn't offer any goal threat?! We need someone up front who can cope with the physical rigours of championship football, Fonte doesn't tick those boxes, Mitrovic (at a reported 9 million euros) would be a great replacement i.m.o.

Chutney

Quote from: grandad on December 02, 2017, 05:10:44 PM
Kamara is desperate to score & Fonte is not capable of scoring in a brothel.

Neither of them are good enough for the championship, really shoddy recruitment.
C O Y W

FFC1987

I posted about this after Boro. I said he showed a few aspects of a decent footballer, nice touch, holding off defenders, but ultimately, I predicted he'd struggle in a set up not built for his game. I'd like to see if this was a stat recruit or Slav signing or both, because his stats aren't impressive at all as a goal scorer. Slav spoke a lot about having attacking options and having 2-3 strikers at his disposal who were 'the best in the league', if he sanctioned this transfer, I think it was in his plans that likely, 1-2 more were coming. Maybe a Gayle (big spend) or a Cameron (medium spend), I just don't think Slav would say/think that Fonte was the answer and going to fire in 15+ goals.

glenhodgso

Quote from: Statto on December 09, 2017, 09:15:09 PM
In fairness he looked decent today, got stuck in and was successful in most challenges, didn't give the ball away once to my recollection, and very nearly scored late on with a header from a cross he did well to get on the end of

Agreed.  He looked strong and good today. Let's hope the corner has benn turned...

@jolslover

Quote from: Chutney on December 04, 2017, 09:32:56 AM
Quote from: grandad on December 02, 2017, 05:10:44 PM
Kamara is desperate to score & Fonte is not capable of scoring in a brothel.

Neither of them are good enough for the championship, really shoddy recruitment.

Disagree completely.
STH H3

Matt10

I think Fonte and Kamara should be playing together somehow, and as much as we can. They both work hard off the ball and can distribute fairly well. I loved that Kamara took some shots from distance, and I was hoping that Fonte would try a bit more, but to be fair he wasn't in many positions to shoot except for the header - which he should've gotten on frame.

Barrett487

Quote from: Statto on December 09, 2017, 09:15:09 PM
In fairness he looked decent today, got stuck in and was successful in most challenges, didn't give the ball away once to my recollection, and very nearly scored late on with a header from a cross he did well to get on the end of

:plus one:

Agreed, Fonte was harrying and was more physical today. He had a couple of efforts that were close, most notably his header. I'd like to think he's beginning to get a grip with what's expected in this league. He has undoubted touch, so if he can put it about consistently, and maybe hit the target, he may become a regular.

EJL

Fonte not being suited to the rough and tumble of the Championship has been a lazy stereotype since day one. Our fans are desperate to have a new Ruiz. We've all seen him hold the ball up and lay it off effectively despite the best efforts to stop that by, sometimes, three or four opposing players. His issues are with confidence, form and our ability to create for centre-forwards.