more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My thoughts, and breakdown, on the Brentford match

Started by Matt10, December 04, 2017, 04:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

Quote from: Bill2 on December 05, 2017, 04:48:42 PM
Only watched the highlights, can't bring myself to watch the full 90. Anyway, I have not seen any comment on here about Brentford's 1st goal. GJ mentioned it but there was a Brentford player standing right in front of Button who while did not touch the ball was clearly obstructing his vision and from the video is clearly offside. Am I going to have another rant about referees or was there another player who was playing him on.

As for Odoi, he was plain stupid and again from the highlights was not showing any injury, but why did he do the tackle he did. If he was injured he should have never been in the fullback position and should have got some cover until he had run it off.

Agreed, it looked offsides to me. If anything, Odoi was on the backpost keeping him on, but it looked offsides to me. I was surprised to not see the players put up more of an argument to the linesman though.

Odoi is what just didn't make sense. Anyone knows if you're injured, you sit down on your bum and wait for the trainer. It was so obvious, and other than pride, I can't think of why he didn't listen to his body to take a break. He had cover on all his fouls, they just weren't necessary, and were blatant.

Oh well, moving on. Curious to see what lineup is Saturday.

RaySmith

His injury may have affected him, and frustration.

Not sure how bad the second yellow was but he'd been warned. He was wound up anyway, and it  might have been better for him to have come off when he was first injured, though he didn't go down, as said - but maybe that was because he was wound up and frustrated with the way things were going.

Someone should have had a word with him, though the ref did speak to him, along with TC. The whole thing was a shambles, like this game, which we lost after going in front, and having further chances to score - crucial, good  ones missed, and bad luck in the case of TC's shot which hit the bar.

But we live to fight another day.
COYW!

Woolly Mammoth

We do live to fight another day, and most of this season has been a shambles.
But there is still time to turn this season around, and no I haven't been sniffing glue.
It can be turned around if the club identify the issues that need to be addressed, just like the man in the street can see, and support the manager in the transfer window, no matter what it takes, and before it's too late.
Because the alternative come the end of the season does not bear thinking about.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bill2

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 06, 2017, 10:30:00 AM
But there is still time to turn this season around, and no I haven't been sniffing glue.
It can be turned around if the club identify the issues that need to be addressed, just like the man in the street can see, and support the manager in the transfer window, no matter what it takes, and before it's too late.
Because the alternative come the end of the season does not bear thinking about.

I don't believe we are a bad side but we are heading for mid table mediocrity unless we do something in the Jan window. To me it has to be the acquisition of an out and out centre forward to put away all the crosses we put in the box. Don't ask me who but there must be someone out there maybe in a lower division and not someone from abroad who may have to settle in which is a luxury we don't have time for.

Matt10

Quote from: RaySmith on December 06, 2017, 05:38:55 AM
His injury may have affected him, and frustration.

Not sure how bad the second yellow was but he'd been warned. He was wound up anyway, and it  might have been better for him to have come off when he was first injured, though he didn't go down, as said - but maybe that was because he was wound up and frustrated with the way things were going.

Someone should have had a word with him, though the ref did speak to him, along with TC. The whole thing was a shambles, like this game, which we lost after going in front, and having further chances to score - crucial, good  ones missed, and bad luck in the case of TC's shot which hit the bar.

But we live to fight another day.
COYW!

I think maybe that's where the notion of not having a leader strong enough, or vocal enough, on the field is hurting? I'm not sure where I fall in this camp, but TC strikes me as a leader by what he does, not what he says. I didn't see anyone else talk to Odoi either, but maybe last year Malone would have said something in his ear to pump him back up.

Regarding Odoi, and just speculation, we know he was out of position in CB, but the pride could have came through because he didn't start as often last year, and wanted to hold onto his spot.

Oddly optimistic, Wooly!

There's definitely time to turn it around. Last season we started our turn around in October. Maybe ours this year starts a bit late?

I hope Slav gets his guys for January, but like I said in this thread, he better start adjusting for the players he has not for the system he wants to create, and frankly, over-elaborate.

Quote from: Bill2 on December 06, 2017, 05:09:24 PM

I don't believe we are a bad side but we are heading for mid table mediocrity unless we do something in the Jan window. To me it has to be the acquisition of an out and out centre forward to put away all the crosses we put in the box. Don't ask me who but there must be someone out there maybe in a lower division and not someone from abroad who may have to settle in which is a luxury we don't have time for.

January is such a tough window, but I like your thinking in a player who is acclimated to the league style. While I don't think it's 100% the players we have now that are the problem, I do believe some sort of rejuvinating signing will make up for those who are upset about the signing of Fonte. I think a big forward works for what we want in our system, but it all comes down to what kind of consistent lineup the manager wants to put out there. I also think there has to be some responsibility towards our players who don't like to cross the ball. With the exception of last week, it's been a work in progress. We have a system that is built on building numbers at max capacity. Meaning our fullbacks will 90% of the time be the ones to cross the ball. That takes a lot of build up required, and maintaining of possession. We need to be much more direct without using our fullbacks as often, or if we do use them, we send in first time crosses. Obviously we have players that can score from crosses, we've done it, so I'm not one to 100% believe we need a big strong forward to do that. I just think we need to be more direct. There needs to be a message of intent, and not one to lollygag and play sexy football with no reward.