more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson

Started by Southcoastffc, December 13, 2017, 01:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Quote from: MikeW on December 13, 2017, 09:13:35 PM
BedsFFC - and your point is?  I am looking to actively promote more of them as they are as good if not better than some of the 'talent' we have imported.  And SouthCoast FFC - I did emphasise 'coached' in my response, not necessarily home grown.
Wasnt aimed at you. I'll refer you to Count Flapula's previous message, which explains my response far better

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Count Flapula on December 14, 2017, 09:52:49 AM
Quote from: MikeW on December 13, 2017, 05:35:10 PM
Agree Woolly: I really would like to see some of these home grown (or at least home coached) youngsters get a chance.  We have over capacity in bought in (or borrowed) foreign imports who rarely contribute to the squad, frequently disappear altogether and are costing us money.  Many of the academy players are very successful at their level or age and need a chance.  Someone be brave please.  Most likely not our current Coach.

Sorry but that doesn't stack up. Jok has given debuts / chances to:
Ryan Sessegnon
Steven Sessegnon
Tayo Edun
Denis Adeniran
Luca De La Torre
Matt O'Riley
Stephen Humphrys
Marek Rodak

All in just a season and a half - some against premier league teams. Level what you want against him but not being brave enough in giving our youth players a chance isn't something that sticks. He has demonstrated he is willing to give them a chance.

All of them are at different stages of development: for instance Edun and De La Torre have started getting chances in league matches; Jok himself stated recently in an interview O'Riley will soon be getting first team action etc. If they are ready i'm confident he will play them as he has shown.

I agree all round here and the suggestions put forward, and all those players mentioned have been given a debut. It's just that maybe, especially under the current circumstances they could have been given more game time as opposed to somebody like Fonte.
I am not picking on Fonte, just giving an example.
Jok maybe under pressure to play Fonte because he cost in the region of 9m.
But that should not justify playing him.
As if any of those youngsters had played and contributed what Fonte has done so far, then that youngster would have been returned to the Academy with a report saying, he is not ready, too young, needs more time, too fragile, needs beefing up a bit. etc etc.
He is not the only one.
So it's one law for Fonte and one law for the Academy player.
Now I can refer to other players not just Fonte, and he may come good if he is still around, although by now I would have thought he should have. But that does not explain the issue as to why some players get far more opportunities than a youngster who would put in a far better shift, age is just a number.
Duncan Edwards made his debut for England when he was 18, he wasn't too young or wrapped up in cotton wool. He was good enough and was given the opportunity by Manchester United because they recognised a good prospect when they saw one.
It's all about opportunity, in any walk of life. Until your given the opportunity you cannot show what you can really do, and then you need to be allowed to show you can stay there. Rather than little cameos now and again, as cameos will not help their progression or the first team come to think of it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Milo on December 14, 2017, 07:46:17 AM
Quote from: MikeW on December 13, 2017, 05:35:10 PM
Agree Woolly: I really would like to see some of these home grown (or at least home coached) youngsters get a chance.  We have over capacity in bought in (or borrowed) foreign imports who rarely contribute to the squad, frequently disappear altogether and are costing us money.  Many of the academy players are very successful at their level or age and need a chance.  Someone be brave please.  Most likely not our current Coach.

Pressure to play the youngsters lost Magath his job..
Magath lost his job for many reasons. He discarded experienced players who New their job inside out and had been there and done it. Whereas the youngsters would be easier to manage, that was his choice to play them.
He looked upon the likes of Hangland and Stockdale etc and so on as a threat, as Magath was a control freak and had no experience whatsoever in English Football.
He should have been sacked six months earlier after orchestrating our relegation, but lack of judgement, qualification, experience, vision and foresight by the Khans gave him a licence to run amock the following season, until he was ceremonially sacked, but far too late. Magath was the Author of his own downfall. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.