more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January

Started by MikeW, December 03, 2017, 06:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 05, 2017, 11:36:28 PM
Jol was feeding on scraps admittedly, but he had no stomach for a fight no desire, he took no interest what so ever in the Academy, he was thinking about his pension long before he was sacked, which was six months too late.
I have to agree with you about Jol's delayed sacking, Woolly, but I was never happy about him arriving at Craven Cottage from the off because his best years were already a long way behind him.  One of MAF's less cogent decisions IMHO.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on December 06, 2017, 08:39:21 AM
Jol was feeding on scraps admittedly, but he had no stomach for a fight no desire, he took no interest what so ever in the Academy, he was thinking about his pension long before he was sacked, which was six months too late.
I have to agree with you about Jol's delayed sacking, Woolly, but I was never happy about him arriving at Craven Cottage from the off because his best years were already a long way behind him.  One of MAF's less cogent decisions IMHO.

Yes I agree Tosh, and didn't MAF appoint him after Mark Hughes departed the club, saying that Jol was always his first choice, which I thought at the time was unnecessary.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SG

I have no faith in Khan and his team landing transfer targets early in January to transform the team. In addition in the main this season we have not played teams off the Park when we have won, unlike last season, so our form needs to be revolutionised if we are to take the division by storm in the second half of the season and make the top six.
Personally I think we are deluding ourselves if we think we are in with a realistic chance of a Play off spot given the games we have seen so far this season and the evidence of the last few January transfer windows.
I fear mid table mediocrity is the best we can hope for. As a consequence I really do not understand Khans strategy for our club but it is beginning to pee me off. Yet again just when it seems we are ready to progress upwards, at the end of last season, our owners shoot us/themselves in the foot

YankeeJim

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 05, 2017, 09:51:20 PM
Woolly, the team put on the filed by Jol and others was crap and they lost. Felix came in, put different crap on the field and we still lost. If Mo had stayed, we would still have been relegated. You can't redo two years of neglect with a management change. The team was well past its sell on date. So back to your next to last line. Cheers.

Jim, I still disagree with your opinion of the relegation year. Mo, he was getting on he wanted to sell up and had lost his appetite. Jol was feeding on scraps admittedly, but he had no stomach for a fight no desire, he took no interest what so ever in the Academy, he was thinking about his pension long before he was sacked, which was six months too late. A dead man walking and the Khans did not identify the signs that the manager they inherited was past his sell by date.
Didn't they do any research or gather any information about Jol, obviously not. They were complete amateurs and still are. Their naivety is only surpassed by their arrogance.
Khan should have sacked Jol the moment he walked into Craven Cottage, but because Khan his son and his enterage did not know the difference between a football and a snowball, they oversaw error of judgement after error of judgement, and they had the arrogance to think they can walk into our club and run it their way, as if they thought they knew better.
No it was not Alfayeds fault, even though he wasn't perfect.
But the club were unnecessary relegated under Khan and the wise one Magath, and we are still paying the price.

Agreed Mo lost his appetite which led to our demise. As I remember Jol was Mo's guy. He had tried to get him the previous year.  If Khan had fired Jol immediately, his replacement might have had time to turn things around but he still would have had a team well past its sell on date. Might have worked. Course IF frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their arses.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

filham

Well lets take a deep breath and close our eyes and try to relax before Saturday when we really need a performance.
Unless we step up out of this rut we are in and regain a little composure there is a big risk that splashing cash in the winter window will be more money down the drain.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Statto on December 05, 2017, 11:04:07 PM
If Mo had stayed, we would still have been relegated.

And if you throw an apple high enough, it will transform into a goose.
Of course I have no way of proving this wild statement but it's my opinion, I'm entitled to it, and I don't need to offer any evidence to support it.

As I said before "Fulham has two types of fans. Those of us who hope and wish for better times and those who just enjoy the failures."
I don't understand constant negativity. How do you explain it?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: SG on December 06, 2017, 05:03:11 PM
I have no faith in Khan and his team landing transfer targets early in January to transform the team. In addition in the main this season we have not played teams off the Park when we have won, unlike last season, so our form needs to be revolutionised if we are to take the division by storm in the second half of the season and make the top six.
Personally I think we are deluding ourselves if we think we are in with a realistic chance of a Play off spot given the games we have seen so far this season and the evidence of the last few January transfer windows.
I fear mid table mediocrity is the best we can hope for. As a consequence I really do not understand Khans strategy for our club but it is beginning to pee me off. Yet again just when it seems we are ready to progress upwards, at the end of last season, our owners shoot us/themselves in the foot

They call it Sustainability, which basically means we will be selling the club off as soon as we can get the right offer, in the meantime we will keep polishing the silver, and mow the grass playing surfaces and keep it up to scratch for the next Custodian to come in.
" what's that you say about the English Premier League " ? " never heard of it " !

Never forget your Roots.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 05, 2017, 06:08:37 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on December 05, 2017, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 05, 2017, 12:52:02 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on December 05, 2017, 12:20:54 AM
Quote from: Statto on December 04, 2017, 09:20:20 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on December 04, 2017, 05:30:28 PM
So, to become a billionaire means being lucky? That might explain why you and I aren't billionaires. This is nonsense. Being in the right place at the right time can be luck. For example Fonte scoring. The difference between luck and skill is that Fonte has ceased scoring and Khan continues to make money. Mo's money, property and PR men ran the football side of FFC? I think not.
Running a multi billion dollar business requires a lot more ability than the bumper business. I know a lot about bumpers, having spent most of my life in some aspect of automotive repair business but I'm no where near  a billionaire. By your analogy, Mo's expertise in retail shouldn't have aided him in running FFC. Cream rises to the top. Be it bumpers or retail sales and hopefully history will repeat itself when it comes to football.

That's your view, certainly isn't mine, but you're entitled to it. All I'll say is it sounds awfully depressing to me to suggest the massive gap between your and Khan's respective success levels is down to an equally massive gap in your inherent personal abilities. If that's how you feel about yourself, so be it.

Khan had some success in the past, most of it in the 1980s probably, but these days does he even outperform the S&P500 year-on-year?

The whole point I'm making is MAF had extra people to whom he delegated running the club, rather than a naive belief that success in fashion retail/car bumpers qualified him as a football chairman.   

As to "cream" rising to the top, we'll see. Khan's record at Fulham thus far suggests he's far from the "cream" of football chairmen, more like the scum or sediment that sinks to the bottom.... which rather reinforces my view that he has no useful talent outside the car bumper sector.

Khan kept the football people. Do you honestly believe that Khan discovered and bought Mitroglu or McCormack or Martin or Fonte? As a side note, would experience in bumpers or retail help a person pick a football man? For that matter is success at football a guarantee that there will be success in the future? I give you Felix and Moyes. Both had prior success and failed in their next go round. I don't think that Sir Alex could have saved us from relegation. Success is as much a manner of thinking as it is anything else. Will Khan succeed? If I said the head of Tesco just bought Fulham, would you be happy? The point being that a non football person in a time of unlimited spending could buy a successful team. A second non football  person takes over in a time of controlled spending and gets an aged, run down and totally gutted team.....maybe timing and luck is the only answer. LOL 

I can agree with a little of what you say.
One of the issues I do disagree fervently is, that any number of managers I am sure would have saved us from relegation, including Ferguson, and that is the tragedy. We drew the short straw with one of worst errors of judgement this club has ever made in the form of Felix Wolfgang Magath.
But that is now water under the bridge, nothing can be done to erase that, until we get back to the Premier League, and if we are going to measure and judge Mr Khan, then this is where we get the tape measure out, if he can orchestrate our return to the Premier League.

No manager would have saved us. Mo had lost interest and gave no support to the club that last year and a half. We had no players except cast offs. Strategy, no matter how skillful, is going to make a difference over the course of a season if you don't have players. We didn't have Red Nose, we had Jol, a clueless and disheartened man the world has never known. Felix was a shot at desperation. His resume said he'd be good. I think we'll agree that his resume lied.  The problem wasn't Felix, he was simply another symptom. The problem began in Mo's neglect and was fueled by Jol's (and others) incompetence.  We now have Khan as the sole person responsible for our future. Hopefully he'll do for us what he has done this year in Jacksonville. I won't mentioned that it took more years than necessary to turn that team around. The fact that he did so gives me hope. Fulham has two types of fans. Those of us who hope and wish for better times and those who just enjoy the failures.

I totally disagree with you about the relegation season, and Magath who orchestrated our demise all on his own, the nightmare your mother told you about, and Khan gave him a licence to relegate Fulham FC, and the way he treated the senior professionals from Hangland downwards. This control freaks  training regimes and the medieval rules he imposed to ruin any team spirit, putting  Dan Burn at right back v Stoke, when 2 0 Up v Hull and proceeded to take a midfielder off, I think it was Scottie Parker and put Darren Bent on and we drew 2 2, Steve Bruce must have thought it was his birthday, that just 2 examples. Like many others I was in attendance for our last 9 matches Home and away, I saw it first hand at Motspur Park.
So urinating down my back and then telling me it's raining, does not wash with me.
As for Khan, I have no faith in him either, he can charm some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.
He is no football man, or Fulham supporter and never will be.
He clearly forgets that you cannot bull shite a bull shiter.
So we will have to agree to disagree on this occasion.

Bravo!

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: YankeeJim on December 06, 2017, 05:32:25 PM

Of course I have no way of proving this wild statement but it's my opinion, I'm entitled to it, and I don't need to offer any evidence to support it.

As I said before "Fulham has two types of fans. Those of us who hope and wish for better times and those who just enjoy the failures."

Repeating that comment devalues everything you say!

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Statto on December 06, 2017, 07:45:38 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on December 06, 2017, 05:32:25 PM

Your statement that we'd have been relegated anyway seems rather negative to me, so I'm not sure how challenging it makes me negative.

Anyway, I might also say there are 2 types of fan, those who meekly "hope and wish" for change, and those who actually scrutinise, challenge, stir, protest and take action to deliver change. 
Well said Statto re the two types of fans.
It could even be argued that there is a third type who wear rose tinted spectacles and can see no wrong in anyone from the chairman downwards despite over whelming evidence to the contrary.

colinwhite

Not buying that one. He clearly stated after  the appointment of Jokanovic and his forst season in charge that   he was prepared to do "whatever it takes " to get us back to the premiership.2016!!!

Quote from: MJG on December 04, 2017, 08:31:43 AM
Quote from: FulhamStu on December 04, 2017, 07:58:20 AM
Then whatever it costs quote was made once about 4 years ago, maintaining the club as self sufficient has been made on numerous occasions.  The word used is sustainability.

Khan does need to spend, but spend wisely.  He has done that with players like Cairney, Fred, KMac, StefJo and others and spent badly on Fonte, Cisse and others as well.  This is what happens at all clubs.   Our problem is that the squad became unbalanced this summer with too many wingers and no real strengthening to the spine of the team.  This is particularly poor because just about every bugger knew what was required and still is.
Beat me to it Stuart. It was actually in May 2014 just as we got relegated. I do believe he was, as in many things, quite naive to say that and didn't understand the true cost of relegation. In such we had to make cost cutting of the wages and shifting on many players. We failed FFP that season anyway and didnt do it enough.
So he could have gone down the QPR way of spending and not worrying about it, and we didn't.
But like many quotes from people this one has stuck around and comes back to haunt him. Although in truth he properly doesn't recall writing it.

Mince n Tatties

A few reports today saying we after a left back,so door open for Spurs to sign Sess...
Or is he going go be moved forward full time ?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 10, 2017, 11:50:17 AM
A few reports today saying we after a left back,so door open for Spurs to sign Sess...
Or is he going go be moved forward full time ?

The latter I hope. 🤞

Never forget your Roots.

hopper

People's determination to create binaries is nonsense, do we really have to be this explicitly tribal all the time?

HatterDon

Quote from: hopper on December 10, 2017, 12:34:21 PM
People's determination to create binaries is nonsense, do we really have to be this explicitly tribal all the time?

evidently, sad to say  :012:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

toshes mate

You know what they say - divisive leaders produce divisive politics.  Just look how rich the cream of football are compared to the rest.....

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: hopper on December 10, 2017, 12:34:21 PM

Queen Boadicea thought so. 

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: davew on December 03, 2017, 07:37:42 PM
I am just as worried about future years when we have to take into account some hefty losses getting rid of some of the players we signed in the last window and won't be worth anywhere near what we paid for them!
That is right , the reported fee paid for Fonte was something like £7m, £8m,  or £9m. After 16 matches it is hard to see anyone paying a penny for him so it is likely he will stay with us for the next two and a half years making use of good training facilities and enjoying a fat regular pay packet.