Author Topic: JAGS go 8-4  (Read 867 times)

Offline Forever Fulham

• The Bard/Corked Hat
Re: JAGS go 8-4
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
You have to look at the bigger picture.   He owns another team in a different sport.  A big money team in a much bigger money league.  It has to have been a source of real frustration to him.  Yet, he's poured money into that other team.  The stadium, the concessions, the shops, the expansion plans continue, the parking, the enormous Jumbotron video screen hoisted above the field, the nice locker facilities, the training facilities. Money going out.  Lots of money.  And finally he has a good product in an odd corner of the country.  Jacksonville, Florida.  Miami has its Dolphins NFL team.  Tampa Bay has its Buccaneers.  Not much room in the inn for a mediocre team given the population density within an easy drive of the stadium.  Picks up some eastern Georgia residents as fans.  But they have their Atlanta Falcons team.  Some South Carolina fans for sure.  St. Augustine too.  It's not New York, or London, or L.A.  Of course, he didn't pay the purchase price that attends a big media market club and team. 

No one is laughing at Jacksonville any more.  Not the laughing stock of the league.  The place where you go for an almost-assured win to pad your regular season record as you hope to make the lucrative playoffs.  Not any more.  They are for real.  Best defense in the league.  A quality team.   

You don't care about any of that, I know.  But you should.  Let's say you had two children.  You already know where I'm going with this, don't you?  One is bleeding you dry for money and you don't see any indication of a light at the end of the tunnel.  The other is across the ocean, in a huge city with rabid entrenched fans, a name known across the country, respected.  This other child--let's call him Fulham.  Was in the top league and for a long time when you adopted him.  At a price commensurate with the league and history of staying up.   Then it all goes south.  Revenue from TV rights gone.  Now in a league out of which it's hard to climb.  A merry-go-round of managers.  Good players leaving.  Nearly relegated further down not once but twice since then. 

To whom do you spend your available time and money assisting, getting actively involved.  When both are in a bad way, you devote yourself more to the team with more money at stake, more upside potential, the one likely to give you more personal strokes.  Adulation.  And all that.   But now that other team has its act together.  Things have turned around.  Looking good.  So now he can afford to turn his attention to Fulham, and see if he can't get him to graduate.  He doesn't own this team in a vacuum.  If Jacksonville remained a major drag, it might so upset him he might sell us to some weird Dr. No owner from Thailand that never takes off his sunglasses indoors, or a sheik or kleptocratic oligarch from a certain cold country, or a Rob Peter to Pay Paul hardware store chain owner from the Midlands, or god knows what. I like Shahid Khan.  He's approachable, a good guy, says the right things, won't embarrass the club, and in his own way is--and I don't know this for sure, but I believe it anyway--trying to do right by the club.  A happier Shad is an owner more likely to spread the cash to help younger son Fulham get to the next level.   

Offline Twig

• cebu
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »
The above all makes sense FF and I care in the sense that it may induce Khan to put more focus and investment into Fulham. But I cannot bring myself to care about American Football.  To those who enjoy it, fine, it's just not for me.

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
From 3000 miles away, please do not come any closer.

It’s more enjoyable than following cricket at the moment

I would rather French Kiss a Skunk than watch american football.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »
Stuff the bloody Jags. The Bills are letting me down yet again 😠😠😠

Did you know that Buffalo Bill is Cockney Slang for Birth Pill, and if I was forced against my will to support one of these teams, it would be the Buffalo Bills. Due to my connections with William Frederick Cody.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:56:36 PM by Woolly Mammoth »

Offline Penfold

• Youth Academy
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
I can't see how his US football team doing OK has any bearing on FFC. Totally different system - after a bad season do we get first shout on promising young players from top teams?  Of course not.

Offline Barrett487

• Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
049:gif 30 points to 10 win puts them in a strong position!!
Super Bowl is looking good!!  079.gif  :wow:  :yay:
Thanks for posting these threads FTN, it's a shame that some people can't allow others to enjoy a different sport without slagging it off. Perhaps those who don't care for it could show some respect to the essence of the forum and refrain from posting. The same comments come out every time.

Back on track.... the Packers actually won and are still in the playoff picture  😊

Offline e4b

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
Thanks for posting these threads FTN, it's a shame that some people can't allow others to enjoy a different sport without slagging it off. Perhaps those who don't care for it could show some respect to the essence of the forum and refrain from posting. The same comments come out every time.

Back on track.... the Packers actually won and are still in the playoff picture  😊
0001.jpeg

Offline Barrett487

• Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »

0001.jpeg
Thanks for the like
 0001.jpeg

Offline Buffalo76

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »

0001.jpeg

Offline Fulham Tup North

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »

Did you know that Buffalo Bill is Cockney Slang for Birth Pill, and if I was forced against my will to support one of these teams, it would be the Buffalo Bills. Due to my connections with William Frederick Cody.

Just be glad you don't support the Cleveland Browns!!  :)   0-12 & minus 132 points!
Good Season.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Offline Forever Fulham

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 06:22:42 AM »
You know what they call Buffalo, New York?  The City of No Illusions.  You want a hard winter?  Go live in Buffalo.  :)

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 07:23:31 AM »
There were two Male Buffalo standing on top of a hill looking down into a valley at a herd of Female Buffalo.
The young Male Buffalo said to the older Male Buffalo. Let’s gallop down the hill and grab a Female Buffalo each.
The older Buffalo replied, I have a better idea, let’s stroll down the hill slowly and grab the whole herd.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:25:24 AM by Woolly Mammoth »

Offline Barrett487

• Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »

Just be glad you don't support the Cleveland Browns!!  :)   0-12 & minus 132 points!
Good Season.

Packers play the Browns this week...... why do i sense they'll get their first win? They've got a good D.

Offline Forever Fulham

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »
My son is a Green Bay Packers fan, having spent a year and a half  at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, and in their soccer (football) program before transferring to NYU (thank god).  He loves the Packers.  The fans own the club.  No, really.   There's nothing quite like it in major league sports in the U.S.  He's also been a long time fan of Arsenal, but finds it hard to follow that club any more.  Like so many Arsenal fans, he quickly gets angry and argumentative on that topic... In any event, the Packers are in Wisconsin, famous as a dairy state.  And as a dairy state, cheese making is huge in Wisconsin.  A lot of the best domestic cheese comes out of Wisconsin.  As a result, probably the best sports fan head wear ever created -- the cheese hat -- became a staple fixture at Packers games and game watch parties.  And when you wear one, you're known as a cheese head.  The name eventually transcending the object and became a shorthand expression to identify Packers fans, as in, "Don't talk to that idiot.  He's a cheese head."   They've been known to wear those weighty triangular cheese wedge foam hats with no coat or shirt in the dead of winter at home games.  Brrrrr.   Here's a photo (hope you can open it): http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/green-bay-packer-fan-displays-his-cheese-head-during-a-1990-news-photo/81310716
Yeah, I even bought one.   But only because my son briefly went to school there.  The entire city drinks beer like you wouldn't believe.  Good people.

Offline rogerpinvirginia

• The Bard/Corked Hat
  • I AM POINTING A PEN AT THE CAMERA THAT TOOK THIS
    • Theatre Production
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 12:48:56 AM »
I follow 3 teams but rarely watch it

Washington Redskins    Wifes family
Jaguars                       Mr Khan
New ENGLAND Patriots     Obvious reasons
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES