more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

George Best at Fulham

Started by Stefano Okaka Chuka, December 04, 2017, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Hi all, long time no see.
I am currently researching for a biography I'm writing on George Best for an Italian publisher and I am actually struggling to find material regarding his two spells at our beloved Fulham, which was actually what interest me most about writing this book. There's obviously plenty of stuff about United and even a book on his time at Hibs, but only a few mentions, the usual stuff about him and Marshy tackling each other to amuse themselves and the public, his car wreck in front of Harrods and some videos on YouTube regarding his Fulham stint. Obviously it's also a glorious chance to write about the team I love so it's going to be a pretty packed chapter that one, but I'm looking for trivia to spice up the tale.
So, if anyone could add up to what I know in any matter regarding his time at Craven Cottage it would be more than welcome. From the pubs and clubs he used to frequent when in London to his best and worst performances in a Fulham shirt, to whoever were his best mates here etc.
Many thanks to those who'll contribute.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

SP

Les Strong & David Hamilton have a great tale to tell from his time at FFC regarding Besties legendary boozing stamina.

RaySmith

Generally he greatly  impressed on the pitch, in a midfield role, despite the booze problems I later  read about in his autobiography.

In an away game at Palace he broke  Palace captain Ian Evans's leg in a tackle, which led to some animosity from Palace fans for a bit afterwards.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on December 04, 2017, 07:40:51 PM
Generally he greatly  impressed on the pitch, in a midfield role, despite the booze problems I later  read about in his autobiography.

In an away game at Palace he broke  Palace captain Ian Evans's leg in a tackle, which led to some animosity from Palace fans for a bit afterwards.

Yes I was there at that game, I think we won it 3 2, I am sure Teddy Maybank scored that day.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Barrett487

I had to pinch myself every time he played. Couldn't believe this icon was plying his trade with us. He wore the shirt for a short time, but from the first kick he had he was one of our own. I know that sounds corny, but he just wanted to play football.

The Hereford game will stay with me forever, and not just because of Best and Marsh... the team were having fun at that time and that game exemplified this.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Rodney Marsh re-joined Fulham because of his respect for Alec Stock and Best joined because of his friendship with Rodney.
Scored on his debut at the Hammersmith end past Jim Eadie of Bristol Rovers in a 1-0 win.
The Hereford match.
Sent off for foul and abusive language in a 4-1 defeat at The Dell.
Brilliant performance on a frozen pitch in a 5-0 victory at The Cottage against Oldham Athletic.
Got lumps kicked out of him by Mickey Droy in a 2-0 Boxing Day defeat at Stamford Bridge in front of a crowd of 55,000.
As per above involved in the tackle that broke Ian Evans' leg.
I was lucky enough to see all the games that Best and Marsh played.

Marinelloguthrie

Remember being on holiday in Bournemouth and meeting my uncle who almost ran out of Poole station with newspaper showing my dad and me the headline..

Best signs for Fulham.. 

Amazing I was 10 think he was on £500 a week..

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on December 04, 2017, 09:06:55 PM
Remember being on holiday in Bournemouth and meeting my uncle who almost ran out of Poole station with newspaper showing my dad and me the headline..

Best signs for Fulham.

Think his debut goal was very early maybe a minute in curler top corner...

Dodgin

Scored on seventeen minutes I think

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on December 04, 2017, 09:10:27 PM

Best signs for Fulham.

Best signs for Fulham.

I t would have been great to have been a wonder goal but it was a rather scuffed shot that Jim Eadie couldn't quite get down to.

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Dodgin on December 04, 2017, 09:19:44 PM

Later than I thought then but 40 odd years ago unbelievable

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 04, 2017, 08:18:23 PM
Rodney Marsh re-joined Fulham because of his respect for Alec Stock and Best joined because of his friendship with Rodney.
Scored on his debut at the Hammersmith end past Jim Eadie of Bristol Rovers in a 1-0 win.
The Hereford match.
Brilliant performance on a frozen pitch in a 5-0 victory at The Cottage against Oldham Athletic.
Got lumps kicked out of him by Mickey Droy in a 2-0 Boxing Day defeat at Stamford Bridge in front of a crowd of 55,000.

Memory hazy now but I think that prior to the 2-0 defeat @ SB where Droy kicked George up in the air early in the game & finished him off (sending off offence now) - crowd 55,003 my dad brother & me making the 3 trying to stand amongst a swaying crowd @ the North End road end
Earlier in the season Fulham beat Chelsea 3-1 @ the Cottage
Recall a picture of a spinning upwards ball (near the PB end corner) stroked fabulously on the volley or half volley by George into the net
Next day in the paper a frozen picture of Bonnetti, Droy et al hopelessly watching as George's shot flew past them all in the net
Marvellous!
COYW!

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on December 04, 2017, 09:23:11 PM

Great idea to link Peter Marinello with Chris Guthrie. Marinello debut, 5-1 v Cambridge United, hat trick for Guthrie I think all made by Marinello. He tore Lindsay Smith apart that day and scored the winner in the next game in a 1-0 v Luton. After that defenders worked him out.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on December 04, 2017, 09:34:46 PM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 04, 2017, 08:18:23 PM
The Hereford match.

Memory hazy now but I think that prior to the 2-0 defeat @ SB where Droy kicked George up in the air early in the game & finished him off (sending off offence now) - crowd 55,003 my dad brother & me making the 3 trying to stand amongst a swaying crowd @ the North End road end
Earlier in the season Fulham beat Chelsea 3-1 @ the Cottage
Recall a picture of a spinning upwards ball (near the PB end corner) stroked fabulously on the volley or half volley by George into the net
Next day in the paper a frozen picture of Bonnetti, Droy et al hopelessly watching as George's shot flew past them all in the net
Marvellous!
COYW!

Strange isn't it, but I also remember it being 55,003.

That 3-1 win v Chelsea was played on a waterlogged pitch as I remember which was perfect for someone who had as good balance as George.

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 04, 2017, 09:38:13 PM

Great idea to link Peter Marinello with Chris Guthrie. Marinello debut, 5-1 v Cambridge United, hat trick for Guthrie I think all made by Marinello. He tore Lindsay Smith apart that day and scored the winner in the next game in a 1-0 v Luton. After that defenders worked him out.

Cheers.. loved that partnership and I think Ray Evans at rb..

Was it Guthrie who led Gordon McQueen a merry dance?

mrmicawbers

Out with my mates in Blushes wine bar in Kings Road celebrating the Birth of my Twin girls.George was in there and was kind enough to come over and shake my hand and congratulate me.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 04, 2017, 10:20:54 PM
Out with my mates in Blushes wine bar in Kings Road celebrating the Birth of my Twin girls.George was in there and was kind enough to come over and shake my hand and congratulate me.
Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 04, 2017, 10:20:54 PM
Should have said they will be 29 in January

St Eve

Best signs for Fulham.

I think it was more a surprise to the GK that he took a shot.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on December 04, 2017, 09:57:38 PM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 04, 2017, 09:38:13 PM

Cheers.. loved that partnership and I think Ray Evans at rb..

Was it Guthrie who led Gordon McQueen a merry dance?
Ray Evans was one of the best crossers of a ball that I've seen at Fulham and perfect for a big centre forward like Guthrie.
I remember talking to Malcolm MacDonald about Guthrie saying that he was a tough old centre forward and he didn't seem to agree!

Dr Know

I remember best scoring a cracker away at peterborough in the league cup , september 1976 !