watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Betts in the dog house?

Started by Forever Fulham, December 03, 2017, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Why isn't he getting time when Button plays poorly?  Reasonable people can differ as to which is better overall.  You can afford to let a forward go into a bit of slump now and then, figuring time will cure that, and he'll come out of it.  He'll play his way out of it.  But a goal keeper?

Twig

I've no idea but you are right.  Regardless of who is "better" it is surprising he cannot get a start.  Am wondering whether he might stick in a transfer request.

bobby01

I prefer Betts, another example of jokas stubbornness I think button has been criticised so he has backed him up and will stick with him.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

grandad

I will be bemused if Betts is not in the next game. Button´s performances recently have been shocking & this feeds through to the rest of the team. Betts deserves at least a run out. He is not getting any game time & GK´s need this more than any  outfield player.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Forever Fulham

Me too.  He's younger, bigger, longer wingspan, quicker (I think), and last year got to us to within a breath of that third place finish.  He's vocal.  Marshaling the back as he surveys the moment.  Button is quieter.  I like them both.  But I prefer Bettinelli.  And I'm not picking on Button.  God knows, he's not the sole reason for our late weak run of form.  But when you have to patch up a back line because of injuries, you  need the goalie on his game.  Lately, he makes me nervous.

Woolly Mammoth

If Jok hasn't got the ability to choose his best balanced in form team, with a plan B up his sleeve, and continues to be too stubborn with tunnel vision for his own good, he should go, but only if he takes the Khans with him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Old Count

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 03, 2017, 05:37:11 PM
If Jok hasn't got the ability to chose his best balanced in form team, with a plan B up his sleeve, and continues to be too stubborn with tunnel vision for his own good, he should go, but only if he takes the Khans with him.

It's interesting that certain players who weren't getting on the bench when Kline was here are now appearing.  That smacks of petulance and self interest over the interest of the team.  Not giving Betts a run and persisting with Fonte smacks of stubborness.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 03, 2017, 02:57:25 PM
Me too.  He's younger, bigger, longer wingspan, quicker (I think), and last year got to us to within a breath of that third place finish.  He's vocal.  Marshaling the back as he surveys the moment.  Button is quieter.  I like them both.  But I prefer Bettinelli.  And I'm not picking on Button.  God knows, he's not the sole reason for our late weak run of form.  But when you have to patch up a back line because of injuries, you  need the goalie on his game.  Lately, he makes me nervous.
within a breath of 3rd place.... exactly. That alone is worth starting over Button

hovewhite

Theres a few players i would luke to start,betts,mollo,djalo .would like to see if they made an improvment to the team over half a dozen games or so!

Jims Dentist

His kicking yesterday was diabolical.

hovewhite

Quote from: hovewhite on December 04, 2017, 07:17:24 AM
Theres a few players i would luke to start,betts,mollo,djalo .would like to see if they made an improvment to the team over half a dozen games or so!
Agree 100%

filham

Well Betts's performance yesterday probably explains why Jocanovic has stuck with Button for so long, his distribution alone indicated he should be on the bench.
Interesting to see who is in goal next week.
I see Schwarzer is in the country broadcasting for the BBC. He would probably be our best choice.

grandad

Betts was bound to be rusty after sitting on the bench for the last 20 games. Nothing beats having real game time to hone ones skills. I would stay with him as I feel he gives the back 4 more confidence.
Where there's a will there's a wife

aaronmcguigan

I know Betts wasn't the best yesterday but the guy played his part in our great run last season and was alienated in July. He was frozen out and ignored for the first 3/4 weeks of pre season. Regardless of whether there was interest in him, he's probably had to play catch up For the rest of the season . The lack of fitness and training camp then helped him pick up an injury which was setting him back further.

Button was number 1 at the start of the season, and earned the right to stay as number 1,but I fear Betts playing yesterday was Joka searching for something different rather than Betts earning the right to play through improved training?

copthornemike

In the first half v BCFC Bettinelli's distribution started out poor and appeared to get worse as the first half went on
However seemed OK second half in my opinion!

filham

Quote from: grandad on December 10, 2017, 06:15:16 PM
Betts was bound to be rusty after sitting on the bench for the last 20 games. Nothing beats having real game time to hone ones skills. I would stay with him as I feel he gives the back 4 more confidence.
At best you could say it went from worst to bad.

copthornemike

Quote from: filham on December 11, 2017, 06:36:04 PM
Quote from: grandad on December 10, 2017, 06:15:16 PM
At best you could say it went from worst to bad.
Would have to partially disagree with you there Filham
I would agree with you if we are talking about the first half - Bett's distribution started out poor and got worse as the game went on
However from where I was sitting in the Hammy End I thought his distribution was OK in the second half

Chutney

If the worst thing we can say about Betts is that he has poor distribution then I'm happy with him starting, at least he can save simple efforts on goal. Button has conceded 5 or 6 goals you'd expect a decent GK to save, his shot stopping ability is to poor to be overlooked. Bettinelli is our best GK. Adding to this, Ream and Kalas looked infinitely more confident with Betts behind them, with button starting they looked shaky and worried about letting anybody shoot from range.
C O Y W

Deeping_white

Quote from: Chutney on December 12, 2017, 09:48:44 AM
If the worst thing we can say about Betts is that he has poor distribution then I'm happy with him starting, at least he can save simple efforts on goal. Button has conceded 5 or 6 goals you'd expect a decent GK to save, his shot stopping ability is to poor to be overlooked. Bettinelli is our best GK. Adding to this, Ream and Kalas looked infinitely more confident with Betts behind them, with button starting they looked shaky and worried about letting anybody shoot from range.

Well we can't really judge him on shot stopping v Birmingham as they had one tame shot on target that was straight at him. Based on how we play, the goalkeeper needs to be comfortable with the ball at his feet else it will be detrimental to us, and Betinelli has shown that he isn't capable of improving his distribution in the almost 2 years that Joka has been here.

The back four also looked comfortable for 70 minutes as Brum never pressed us and allowed us to knock the ball about as we wanted. After 70 minutes they woke up and we started sh*tting ourselves for no real reason, to the point where we had to stick another CB on so I don't get how you can say that either.